IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paddle Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 12:57 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you could look 2 seconds into the future, it would be helpful. Since it takes about that long to shift.
Old 03-07-08, 12:58 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't bother to use them....it's all about their appearance for me!
Old 03-07-08, 01:33 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
It is not plastic, it is an alloy of some sort, but I remember reading it was a Titanium Shift Paddle. Does anyone else know for sure?
Where did you read that? In Lexus marketing material (brochure, website, etc.), they refer to them as "race-inspired steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters". Considering how the marketing material waxes poetic about "birds-eye maple trim", "soft leather-trimmed shift ****", etc., it's hard to believe they wouldn't mention "titanium shift paddles" if they were in fact made of that exotic and extremely expensive material.
Old 03-07-08, 01:40 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Where did you read that? In Lexus marketing material (brochure, website, etc.), they refer to them as "race-inspired steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters". Considering how the marketing material waxes poetic about "birds-eye maple trim", "soft leather-trimmed shift ****", etc., it's hard to believe they wouldn't mention "titanium shift paddles" if they were in fact made of that exotic and extremely expensive material.
Yes,

That is what I thought exactly. I need to find the article and scan it and post it. I am willing to believe it is simply an alloy and not titanium as titanium is too expensive and pointless to use on a car of this class.
Old 03-07-08, 06:48 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not great with computers (copy/paste). But the following is from the Automobile.com website. This is from an older article.
"Grab the beefy steering wheel of the IS350 and your fingers almost automatically curl around a pair of hard plastic shift paddles artfully crafted to look and feel like brushed aluminum. Alas, Lexus hasn't developed a sequential manual gearbox like BMW or Audi, nor does the slick-shifting six-speed automatic do the Infiniti blip-on-downshift thing. Then again, with 277 lb-ft of torque available at 4800 rpm, who cares?"
Old 03-07-08, 10:44 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
Yes,

That is what I thought exactly. I need to find the article and scan it and post it. I am willing to believe it is simply an alloy and not titanium as titanium is too expensive and pointless to use on a car of this class.
Don't kid yourself. They're plastic.
Old 03-08-08, 10:07 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jackblack7
Don't kid yourself. They're plastic.
I am willing to bet that the article was old and potentially misleading. The marketing department probably did not want to give an illusion that it was titanium, but did not specify a simple titanium color rather than the utilization of the expensive metal itself for craftsmanship. Thus, they pulled it from print. Since all this paddle shifter talk makes me wonder, does anyone know what the IS-F is constructed of, those paddle-shifters look like chrome?
Old 03-08-08, 10:23 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

im sitting in an is f as I type this on my pda at lexus. the paddle shifters are different then my is. they are def metalic
Old 03-08-08, 10:26 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

We need a metallurgist in the house (LOL)!!!!!!
Old 03-08-08, 11:47 AM
chubbymike
Driver

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
I don’t use them at all. When I’m in the mood to drive in a performance way, I am holding the wheel with a proper 2 hand setup and the shifters aren’t even in the right spot. Worse when the wheel is actually turned. I rarely even use the auto shift mode. I have actually learned quite well now how to manage the cars RPM and gears in sports mode. It does an amazing job of shifting up on braking on its own for street use. Drop into a corner and prepare to apex, hit the brakes hard as usual before the corner (and release before turning into it as you start hitting the gas for the corner) and the auto will shift down low and drop the RPM's up pretty perfectly for the corner depending on your speed and such. Weakest link I have found in this senario on my IS350 is the brakes. They just dont stabize the car well (as say compared to the Brembo's on my old Sti or the stock brakes on my S2000's)
Y2KS2K, you mentioned the brakes aren't stable, is it the original brakes with the high friction pads, or are they the replacement pads (TSIB version)? I am interested to know how people feel about the performance of the high friction brakes (in terms of driving in the hills/track, not everyday driving)
Old 03-08-08, 11:55 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by chubbymike
Y2KS2K, you mentioned the brakes aren't stable, is it the original brakes with the high friction pads, or are they the replacement pads (TSIB version)? I am interested to know how people feel about the performance of the high friction brakes (in terms of driving in the hills/track, not everyday driving)
Factory pads (not TIB) the kind that create tons of brake dust (which I expect them to, they aren’t half as bad as my Sti Brembo's)

I traded my Sti in for the IS350 and noticed the brake weakness strait off but the Sti brakes were phenomenal. I typically brake hard and short a lot and doing that cause instability in my IS350 most of the time, especially at freeway speeds.

Gotta admit though, Iwas at the LExus dealer today and the IS-F brakes are HOT
Old 03-08-08, 12:33 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Factory pads (not TIB) the kind that create tons of brake dust (which I expect them to, they aren’t half as bad as my Sti Brembo's)

I traded my Sti in for the IS350 and noticed the brake weakness strait off but the Sti brakes were phenomenal. I typically brake hard and short a lot and doing that cause instability in my IS350 most of the time, especially at freeway speeds.

Gotta admit though, Iwas at the LExus dealer today and the IS-F brakes are HOT
Did you se the group buy on the IS-F brakes? About $2k front and rear....not bad at all!!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=340134
Old 03-08-08, 12:34 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual shifters are added for convienence. I use it in slow traffic when constant stop and go persist. THat way, my transmission won't keep shifting.

But the best way to use them is to hit when you hit the redline, if you're really gunning it. Otherwise, it's almost pointless to use the shifter unless you want to control your breaking or just need that hard pull to get going.
Old 03-08-08, 07:07 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
The manual shifters are added for convienence. I use it in slow traffic when constant stop and go persist. THat way, my transmission won't keep shifting.
I use snow mode when I'm crawling in stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic. Seems to work even better than the paddles for smoothing things out and preventing unnecessary shifting.
Old 03-10-08, 10:14 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the "Snow" mode just allow the engine to rev higher because it prolongs the shift for the transmission? I rarely use it so I can't tell too much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters?