IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Build Quality (2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 07:18 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Build Quality (2)

Just wondered if the US Lexus cars are built on the same production line as the Japanese Toyota equivalents? The Lexus IS250, I believe, is still the Toyota Altezza and the Lexus RX350 is the Toyota Harrier. Do they put any extra care into the "Lexus" brand? Or do they just slap the badges onto the next Toyota in line?
Old 03-07-08, 07:45 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS300 = Altezza
IS250/IS350 = IS250/IS350

and don't read my signature :P
Old 03-07-08, 08:03 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

There is no more Altezza, Lexus uses entirely new chassis and the L-Finese concept for the gen 2's. Lexus has done away with the using the Toyota/ Japan model to the US/Lexus. There are now Lexus dealers all over Japan. it use the be, they did not want to designate or segregate class, but now you have Nissan's Infiniti and Honda's Acura divisijon being solf with respective badging.
Old 03-07-08, 08:09 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

they are selling LEXUS in japan. no more toyotas......
Old 03-07-08, 08:24 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickin8
they are selling LEXUS in japan. no more toyotas......
Yes,

2 years ago Toyota Motor Corp was the first domestic automaker to do this. they still sell Toyoa models in Japan, but they now have the high end Lexus division. No more need for those tuners in Japan to place Lexus badges on their Altezza's and for US owners to place Altezza badges on their Lexus vehicles (LOL). You can imagine how fast Acura nad Infiniti followed to gain market share. They have Lexus dealers popping up all over asia now.
Old 03-07-08, 11:12 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, Lexus has their own design team and i believe managers that somewhat "run themselves." I don't remember where I read this from (might of been an article in Motor Trend). Lexus works pretty much the same way here as they do in Japan where high-end models are sold under Lexus and lower-end models under Toyota. Of course, Toyota in Japan has MANY more models than we do here in the US.

If you want to know about the production care, typically Japanese production lines have strict rules to promote build-quality. The IS models are build in Japan and if I recall there are two factories that make them and they're both in Japan. One of the factories is an award winning factory as well. The finished products are then shipped in whole to the US on ships. So there is some extra care put into Lexus though Toyota care about their vehicles to begin with so I wouldn't stress out much over it. Lexus and Toyota will last you 200,000+ miles
Old 03-07-08, 11:28 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kuuqi
Of course, Toyota in Japan has MANY more models than we do here in the US.
ohh man, back in the mid 90's when i lived in japan i rode in my friends corolla GT-Z wagon... omg turbo/awd/leather int. in a very sporty looking wagon body
Old 03-07-08, 11:52 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Yes,

I will only drive Japanese cars for the quality (LOL). JDM still has all the fun toys we all dream about in the states.
Old 03-07-08, 12:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

From-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus#Lexus_today

In 2005, Lexus completed a full organizational separation from parent company Toyota, with dedicated Lexus Design, engineering, training, and manufacturing centers working exclusively for the luxury division. This effort coincided with the launch of Lexus in its home market of Japan, and an expanded global launch of Lexus in major world markets. A recent focus of the Lexus Development Center (founded in 2003) is the introduction of L-finesse, a new design philosophy for the latest generation of Lexus vehicles (see following). Related areas of focus include the incorporation of Japanese cultural motifs into new designs, and the development of future automobile technologies.The new GS, IS, and LS designs are a product of the new Lexus design and engineering centers, along with the latest LF Series concept vehicles.

and-

Lexus manufacturing techniques include methods and standards of quality control that differ from Toyota models. At the Tahara plant, site of LS, GS, IS, and GX production, separate assembly lines were developed for the manufacture of Lexus vehicles. New molds and specialized manufacturing equipment were also developed for the Lexus production process; assembly equipment includes KUKA robotic welders. Lexus plant workers, typically veteran technicians, are identified via repeated performance evaluations and ranked according to skill grade; only a select group of craftspeople are eligible to work on Lexus vehicles. In addition, welding processes, body panel fit tolerances, and paint quality requirements are more stringent for Lexus models. Each production Lexus vehicle is given an extensive visual inspection for flaws, individually test-driven at high speed, and subjected to vibration tests to ensure a smooth and quiet ride.
Old 03-07-08, 12:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

Sounds good, all. It's reassuring to know that the Lexus brand is is going all out to maintain and improve (where possible) quality.