IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can i get the tire pressure sensors codes from a VIN alone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 05:16 PM
2point5is
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i get the tire pressure sensors codes from a VIN alone?

I bought some 19" wheels off another is350 owner. He left his factory sensors in them, but i didnt know that they were differnt for each vehicle anyways if i ask him for his vin, do you think my dealership can get the sensor codes? I really dont feel like getting raped by them breaking the tires off.

Thanks

Landon
Old 03-07-08, 05:34 PM
charliea42
Driver School Candidate

I would really doubt it. The numbers are entered into the cars computer when the wheels are mated to the car. I suppose it might be possible to see if he still had those numbers stored in his car's computer, and if he or the shop could attached a device to read them out. VIN has no relationship to the tires, wheels, or TPMS.

This fall I bought 4 snow tires with wheels. I gave the four TPMS numbers to the service folks, and they entered them into the computer for me. I now have 2 sets of 4 TPMS entered into my cars system.

If you just bought the wheels, you might see if the serial numbers are coded on the outside of the monitors before you have tires mounted on them.
Old 03-07-08, 06:32 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2point5is
I bought some 19" wheels off another is350 owner. He left his factory sensors in them, but i didnt know that they were differnt for each vehicle anyways if i ask him for his vin, do you think my dealership can get the sensor codes? I really dont feel like getting raped by them breaking the tires off.

Thanks

Landon
The tire pressure sensor id codes are on the sensors itself. The only way you can get the id codes is to remove the tires and look on the sensors or you can tell the owner of the car that you bought the wheels from to go to the dealer and have the tech pull out the scan tool to get the id codes.
Old 03-07-08, 06:59 PM
2point5is
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help, unfortunately he sold the car. Thats why he sold the wheels. Man im so bummed out, anyone know of a reputable place that wont scratch my wheels all to hell when they take the tires off? Im in the North County San Diego area.

Landon
Old 03-08-08, 10:02 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Slight chance he knows who he sold the car to and maybe they can still get the codes pulled out of the car's computer..

Otherwise you have no choice but to pull the codes off the actual sensor..

Joe Z
Old 03-10-08, 02:28 PM
2point5is
Driver School Candidate

yea he is scared to tell me, because hes afraid that they will charge him somehow after the fact, that the sensors arent in. i know its a lexus dealer, maybee ill try to find the car. i know its an 06 silver is350 sold to a dealership in san diego. maybee ill get lucky. lol

Landon
Old 03-10-08, 02:37 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what if the previous owner calls the lexus dealer and says i need the #'s for the TPMS from the car? Is this something that is in the system or not? I would think the service writer should be able to pull that thru the Vin# if that person is so kind to call for you? the service writer isnt going to ask questions...

Worth a try!
Old 03-10-08, 02:54 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
what if the previous owner calls the lexus dealer and says i need the #'s for the TPMS from the car? Is this something that is in the system or not? I would think the service writer should be able to pull that thru the Vin# if that person is so kind to call for you? the service writer isnt going to ask questions...

Worth a try!

As mentioned previously....they're with the computer, not with the VIN. So, unless they hook up their laptop to the car, you're not going to get the codes.

you're best and cheapest option would be to go to a good, reputable tire place, and have them dismount them to get the codes. If they mark the tires at the valve stem, they shouldn't even have to re-balance the wheel if they can get it back close to the same spot (unless you want them to rebalance it, but that costs more money)

But, just a word of advice: have THEM verify the condition of the wheels when you bring them in, and then you should sign it confirming/acknowledging this. I know someone with an almost brand new truck have his factory 22" wheel damaged after taking it in for a flat repair, and the tire shop claimed it was already damaged. He had no proof it wasn't, so it's his word vs. their's

Last edited by mikes rx; 03-10-08 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 02:23 PM
2point5is
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, i have an appointment with them tomorow. i found his car at a dealership, well im 99% sure its his. im going to mention this to them, and see if they can make a call down to the other lexus dealer. im just afraid that the other dealership will have my dealership give them the sensors that belong in the car. then ill be screwed, so i dont know what im going to do. thanks for all your help again, and i will definately have them verify the wheel condition before.

Landon