IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELLO ALL- NEW IS350 Owner-first impressions compared to my 03 G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 07:53 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Happily, sway bars and front/rear braces will make the IS dance like a BMW... or a G35.
Does anyone even have those on yet? I don't even think anyone has successfully installed the sways. Last I read someone couldn't even get those sways to fit properly. Pretty retarded for a car that's been out over 2yrs now.

Even with full suspension and sways etc.. it still has way too light steering in comparison to a properly sports sedan. Make no mistake I love my IS but the handling feel really is sloppy. It might hold the road fine or better than many other cars but it just feels bad doing so. I just got a new volvo C30 for the wife and that car handles way better than the IS and it's not really a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by ba-b4; 03-09-08 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 08:05 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Does anyone even have those on yet? I don't even think anyone has successfully installed the sways. Last I read someone couldn't even get those sways to fit properly. Pretty retarded for a car that's been out over 2yrs now.

Even with full suspension and sways etc.. it still has way too light steering in comparison to a properly sports sedan. Make no mistake I love my IS but the handling feel really is sloppy. I might hold the road fine or better than many other cars but it just feels bad doing so. I just got a new volvo C30 for the wife and that car handles way better than the IS and it's not really a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.
Funny you mentioned that...I drove an S60R and that car was almost UNdriveable....Maybe the sports suspension makes that much of a difference, but in my opinion, my IS handles as good or better than most of the cars I have test driven....
Old 03-09-08, 08:15 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Funny you mentioned that...I drove an S60R and that car was almost UNdriveable....Maybe the sports suspension makes that much of a difference, but in my opinion, my IS handles as good or better than most of the cars I have test driven....
I only have the lux suspension on the IS so I wouldn't really know how the sports suspension is. From others on the board though people have said it's only bouncier but not much better than the lux suspension with regards to handling. I haven't driven a S60r either but my new C30's handling characteristics is really much better than my IS. It shares the same platform as the mazda3 and eurospec ford focus rs. It was designed to be competitive with the mini cooper afterall and has no real relation to the bigger and older S60 chassis.

My sister has a 2004 G35 coupe and I would much rather drive her car around if I'm in a sporting mood. But she would much rather drive my car on a daily basis simply because the overall quality is that much better.
Old 03-09-08, 10:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Pedal dance turns everything EXCEPT ABS off.
No. The pedal dance and holding the switch in the '07s and later turns off VSC and TRAC only. See below for what continues to operate:
Attached Thumbnails HELLO ALL- NEW IS350 Owner-first impressions compared to my 03 G35 coupe-vdim-basics.jpg  
Old 03-09-08, 10:07 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I only have the lux suspension on the IS so I wouldn't really know how the sports suspension is. From others on the board though people have said it's only bouncier but not much better than the lux suspension with regards to handling. I haven't driven a S60r either but my new C30's handling characteristics is really much better than my IS. It shares the same platform as the mazda3 and eurospec ford focus rs. It was designed to be competitive with the mini cooper afterall and has no real relation to the bigger and older S60 chassis.

My sister has a 2004 G35 coupe and I would much rather drive her car around if I'm in a sporting mood. But she would much rather drive my car on a daily basis simply because the overall quality is that much better.
Of the cars I drove, I picked the one I bought because the steering was tighter, felt more connected, and the car handled alot better. I thought it felt newer...and the other cars felt "looser"...after I bought it I realized that the SPort suspension could have made the difference. It does NOT feel bouncier at all....in fact my wife who hates rough riding cars, liked it better....she felt it was a smoother riding car than the lux package cars...I think she liked the more direct steering.
Old 03-09-08, 10:26 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of chassis/suspension mods from l-tunedparts.com and some Red Stuff pads from EBC should pretty much clear any and all doubts!!
Old 03-09-08, 11:23 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
CONGRATS!!! but you brought the car without a test drive first? big NO NO

must be some misunderstanding-- I OF COURSE test drove it- I'd be nuts not to do so....LOL
actually drove a 250 and then drove this...I drove it but I kinda RANG it out after I got it...to compare it to the G35C that I Rang out once it was mine

IS defiinately faster than the G35 coupe at least 03-04...(the ones I've driven hard). So funny people that I know from my old club are wondering what the IS can do... I must say the IS 350 is slept on somewhat..but from what I felt...They will soon awaken..lol...its quick very quick

I wouldnt say the IS is floppy and floaty at all...just not as planted as the G35Coupe...but not shabby at all...like they said...In the future some Eibachs should clear up that little gripe. I'm not sayin the IS cant achieve the high slolam #'s but if you drove both cars you'd see the G35 feels more planted while achieving those number...the handling on the IS is good but the feel is not as planted as the G coupe...& no no sports package (would be curious to drive on with it thought to see if that would be better or as good as the Gcoupe)

I dont want that Burst the G35C gave me--so putting the IS350 in ECT PWR mode I actually dont want ...I like the longer pedal travel before "blast off"..makes regular driving better, which is what we do more often than just drive hard...so I like that its there if I need it but not like the G35coupe with a constant unnessary reminder when i dont ask for it.

the brakes on my G35C were not brembos..the non-brembo's had a crazy inital bite also...the IS350 just doesnt have it...not a big deal ..cause it stops well ...but I am doing a IMO comparison...and in that case the G35 coupe has it beat.

All in all the car is built better and you can instantly tell...Infiniti just doesnt make um like Lexus...plus when it comes to quality and stuff breakin..most complaints I have seen here with the IS is brake dust, squeeks, some noises, wind noise, injector clicking (which isnt a problem-it just the way it works- from what i read)....basically nit pick stuff

now you go to the G35 forums...LMAO---and its "my windows dont go down, my tranny crapped out, my radio crapped out, my tires are wearing unevenly no matter how many alignments i get, my car has rattles galore, etc etc..I mean even the long term test (50K mi) Road and Track 350Z's tranny went on them...WTF---sorry I was big for 3 years in the G35 community ..I mean BIG TIME- know MANY MANY owners and its the same damn story...Nissan just aint what it used to be---and RELIABILITY AND QUALITY is #1 for me

HENCE why I'm right back here with my LEXUS peeps..now with 2 Lexus's
they just build them well ---AND NOW THEY'RE FAST TOO...LOL! I love it

Last edited by NYC ES3; 03-09-08 at 11:28 PM.