Lexus Paint Issue? SGM help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 10:03 AM
bwalen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Paint Issue? SGM help?

Hey All-

So i noticed a while back that i had some wierd pimple like blemishes on my paint. Check out the pic below and let me know what you all think it is? I've washed, clayed and waxed this car numerous times and havent got them to go away. They're all over the car, though more concentrated in some areas. My camera doesn't really capture them unless its under flourescent light, so this pic is the best pic i can do.

Im curious if anyone else has had this issue with their paint? or if maybe this is normal and i'm being lame?

--brandon
Old 03-10-08, 10:12 AM
lexXxus13
Driver

Wow, sorry to hear/see that. Unfortunately I have no idea what that is minus a error on the paint side of things. I do not think though this anywhere near normal. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Hopefully Lexus will fix it cause that seems kinda bogus.
Old 03-10-08, 10:47 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

in which part of the car is that? I cant tell from your pic
Old 03-10-08, 10:50 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically these bumps are moisture pockets due to a lack of paint prep. This sounds like a warrenty repaint issue. This was more prevalent in cars of the late 80's. Should not be happening to your new car and a Lexus especially.
Old 03-10-08, 11:01 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Where those areas ever covered with those little yellow dots??
(looks like bird crap, but its really not)

If so, that is commercial airplane fuel and it blemishes car paint clear coat...

I have a couple already..

Joe Z
Old 03-10-08, 11:13 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you feel the blemishes?

Ones that you cant feel but you can see it. The clay couldnt get it off. I used a clearcoat rubbing compound to get rid of them. It takes alot of work. 30-40 min to take off what you have.

It will come out just be really delicate on the paint. I used some Zainos wax and it never came back. It also has 5 coats just incase.
Old 03-10-08, 11:28 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

If so, that is commercial airplane fuel and it blemishes car paint clear coat...

Joe Z
is that what those yellow dots are???? i thought they were like part of bird droppings or something. they stain my clear bra if not removed right away.
Old 03-10-08, 11:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
is that what those yellow dots are???? i thought they were like part of bird droppings or something. they stain my clear bra if not removed right away.
According to some reliable sources.. yes...

I agree it stains the clear bra material and it will stain your clear coat too..

Joe Z
Old 03-10-08, 01:01 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Joe Z
That is very true and often overlooked. jet fuel is highly corrosive. Even with the Corrosion inhibitors, e.g. DCI-4A, it will eat paint and clear coat within days. it is not uncommon for aircraft, to do fuel dumps of little or larger amounts. FAA reuires it being done over non polulated areas, but let's take in account the jetstream. this is unfortunate for vehicle or homeowners.
Old 03-10-08, 01:33 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brian231
That is very true and often overlooked. jet fuel is highly corrosive. Even with the Corrosion inhibitors, e.g. DCI-4A, it will eat paint and clear coat within days. it is not uncommon for aircraft, to do fuel dumps of little or larger amounts. FAA reuires it being done over non polulated areas, but let's take in account the jetstream. this is unfortunate for vehicle or homeowners.
I agree working at the local airport, we are advised to never park on the top floor where our cars are exposed to possible jet fuel dumping, Aircrafts have a maximum landing weight, therefore if the aircraft is too heavy it will need to dump fuel to the correct weight upon landing. (load Control aircraft weight and balance)

AS for the paint I dont know Sorry, Try asking the dealer see if they will warrenty the paint. Respray or rub it out with clear coat compound. If not then give it a try like Joez
Old 03-10-08, 01:36 PM
bwalen
Driver School Candidate

tfz_hebe89 in which part of the car is that? I cant tell from your pic
Passenger side roof, cutting off where the windshield meets the roof

Brian231 Typically these bumps are moisture pockets due to a lack of paint prep. This sounds like a warrenty repaint issue. This was more prevalent in cars of the late 80's. Should not be happening to your new car and a Lexus especially.
I agree with your theory...i hope they fix it. I was thinking along the same lines; The car was imported originally through LA and sent over to a dealer in Phoenix where it sat on a lot (assumably in the hot sun) for a couple months before it was sold to the dealer i brought it from...i think maybe the paint rose from extreme heat? i dunno, just guessing.

I have checked out a couple other SGM's in the area and they dont seem to have the same issue. The car is a year old AND on a lease...i have a feeling that they'll fix it.

Joe Z Where those areas ever covered with those little yellow dots??

Joe Z
I dont think they were the yellow dots...i know what you're talking about, but i dont think it was caused by that. These dots are like the chicken pox ALL OVER the car.

slee18 Can you feel the blemishes?

Ones that you cant feel but you can see it. The clay couldnt get it off. I used a clearcoat rubbing compound to get rid of them. It takes alot of work. 30-40 min to take off what you have.

It will come out just be really delicate on the paint. I used some Zainos wax and it never came back. It also has 5 coats just incase.
I can feel some of them, others i cant. The clay bar leaves it feeling pretty smooth but i cant say it smooths out everything.
Old 03-10-08, 04:52 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

i have one dot but it is not raised up. looks like rust of something... i have no idea.
Old 03-10-08, 07:38 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sort of off topic, but I'm completely amazed that there aren't environmentalists completely losing their minds over the idea of jet planes dumping fuel. Wouldn't it be more effective to throw a few annoying people off the plane instead?
Old 03-13-08, 11:52 AM
bwalen
Driver School Candidate

I took it in this morning and had it evaluated by the local dealership (lexus westminster for those who care) and I was told that either acid or some kind of fuel got onto it, one way or another. unfortunately, this dealer told me to go back to the dealer i bought it from and have them check it out. I tried to speak with the person who sold the car to me, but she has since left Lexus, so now i have to wait and hear back from some random person about getting it checked out...