IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cleaning stained rims from over the winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 07:30 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, If I use enough peanut butter, my new puppy will probably lick that along with the stuck on brake dust right off

Otherwise, I can just make a good ol PBJ with the leftovers!
Old 03-11-08, 04:48 PM
DaveyIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rub on Peanut butter ( regular not chucky :P) massage it into the rims and let them set for a ittle bit, then powerwash the PB off. The oils in the peanut butter remove the brakedust ! Here are some pics i a friend of mine took of his car before and after the PEANUT BUTTER treatment...

Old 03-11-08, 08:23 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Pm sent,

I will be trying this!

Will Jiffy suffice
Old 03-11-08, 08:29 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

I went to the car wash, and tried the manual wash gun with the wheel cleaner spray, then washed it off. It made the front rims look pretty good upon cursory inspection, after rinsing it off.
Old 03-12-08, 04:44 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Hello all,

My wifes IS250 has unfortunately stayed dirty all winter long for the most part due to the horrible winter we have had here in Wisconsin. I just finally washed it this past weekend. Come to find out, the rims are stained a bit yellow/black I imagine from the brake dust sitting on them for months on end. Normal car soap/scrubbing had no effect. I am looking for soultions on how to remove the stains?

This spring, I am definetly getting the new pads lexus is offering due to the high brake dust people complained about. This service bulletin doesn't have a time frame does it?

Thanks for your help!

Brandon
Brandon,
I'm in Sheboygan, same issue. Just cleaned mine back to about 90%, one more step to go so try this:

Blast them with high-pressure wash. Then SOAK them in combo 409/Windex. Apply some "elbow grease" and really go hard with clean rag. Wait til dry, then repeat. Then apply wax.

Then repeat in a day. I'm repeating final step today and this worked VERY well in early January (after the lovely first month of winter did it's damage).

Finally, I will clay everything this weekend (as it's going into the 40s) so by week's end they should look about new.
Old 03-12-08, 07:02 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyIS
Rub on Peanut butter ( regular not chucky :P) massage it into the rims and let them set for a ittle bit, then powerwash the PB off. The oils in the peanut butter remove the brakedust ! Here are some pics i a friend of mine took of his car before and after the PEANUT BUTTER treatment...

Nice to know, thanks for posting. We get too much salt in Chicago.
Old 03-12-08, 07:36 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Brandon,
I'm in Sheboygan, same issue. Just cleaned mine back to about 90%, one more step to go so try this:

Blast them with high-pressure wash. Then SOAK them in combo 409/Windex. Apply some "elbow grease" and really go hard with clean rag. Wait til dry, then repeat. Then apply wax.

Then repeat in a day. I'm repeating final step today and this worked VERY well in early January (after the lovely first month of winter did it's damage).

Finally, I will clay everything this weekend (as it's going into the 40s) so by week's end they should look about new.
rdgdawg,

I am from Mukwonago. I will try this approach after the peanut butter also. I am hoping between the two, the rims will come clean. This winter has been horible and I have had no chance to wash them until now unfortunately.

Thanks for the help!
Brandon
Old 03-12-08, 08:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

rdgdawg,

I am from Mukwonago. I will try this approach after the peanut butter also. I am hoping between the two, the rims will come clean. This winter has been horible and I have had no chance to wash them until now unfortunately.

Thanks for the help!
Brandon
My car was WHITE for half of winter, my drive is ice free finally (7 weeks) as of yesterday even after salting constantly... last 10 feet just kept getting refrozen... so with cold and frozen lines IN my garage it's been tough to keep clean.

Go slow, expect to spend some time but should come clean. My biggest issue I see now is exhaust pipes... absolutely brutalized by salt, ice, snow this year....
Old 04-06-08, 07:28 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

An update,

I went ahead and finally began to prep the wheel for a thorough cleaning using the above suggestions. Upon further inspection, I noticed the rims are peeling/bubbling and that its now a warranty issue.

I am hoping Lexus will stand behind them. I firmly believe the excess brake dust from the pads ate away at the rims and got under the finish. I am waiting to bring it in to the dealer in a few weeks when my oil change is due and then I will get the new brake pads(recall ones with less dust) and find out about the rims.

Anyone else experience this?

Old 04-06-08, 07:48 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An update,

I went ahead and finally began to prep the wheel for a thorough cleaning using the above suggestions. Upon further inspection, I noticed the rims are peeling/bubbling and that its now a warranty issue.

I am hoping Lexus will stand behind them. I firmly believe the excess brake dust from the pads ate away at the rims and got under the finish. I am waiting to bring it in to the dealer in a few weeks when my oil change is due and then I will get the new brake pads(recall ones with less dust) and find out about the rims.

Anyone else experience this?

That is from Winter, Salt on the roads, and the brake dust. I know its a pain but 2 things i would try to do as often as you can. Spray your rims down even its that is all you do in a Quarter Wash with some of the all purpose rims cleaner and also put a good coat of wax on them to help protect them. 2nd option i like the best, put a set of winter rims on that you dont need to worry about. yes it may not look as good but will worth A. what they offer you for driving in the winter and B. and no worries when you are unable to get them cleaned right of way. Its all opinion at that point and trust me i wish we had the luxury that others have where they dont need to swap out what we call "summer" rims

Keep us posted as to what the dealer is willing to do for you. Sometimes they have rims from other cars that where NO cost to them so you may be lucky to get those even if they wont warranty them out. My guess is that they wont warranty them out for you...Good Luck!
Old 04-06-08, 04:31 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

I agree about trying to keep them clean. But these WI winters have been horible. I have owned 3 brand new Toyota 4runners for 3 years at a time and wash the rims on that just as much as the lexus with not one issue. My mom had a GS300, we have had several BMW's, all of which this never happened. The dealer will be either fixing them or replacing. For a 2 year old car, very unnacceptable in my book.
Old 04-06-08, 05:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree about trying to keep them clean. But these WI winters have been horible. I have owned 3 brand new Toyota 4runners for 3 years at a time and wash the rims on that just as much as the lexus with not one issue. My mom had a GS300, we have had several BMW's, all of which this never happened. The dealer will be either fixing them or replacing. For a 2 year old car, very unnacceptable in my book.
I hear you! We had it like you did here in IL. It was a tough one to keep the car clean period. My car shows it also. Time for a good detail now that its warmer out in the next week here to bring my paint back to life! I had the same issues with a BMW in the past. I don't think its our rims its the brake dust that we have. An option is to go to ceramic pads and loose the dust but you also loose some of the braking that you have now. I hate how quickly the rims get dirty but I love the grab of the brakes.
Old 04-07-08, 05:48 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

I am hoping the new pads from the service bulletin fix the issue. As for the dealer and the rims......we shall see soon.

Brandon
Old 05-02-08, 12:05 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Update for all of you wondering the end result:

I brought it to my local dealer this week and they didnt hesitate and ordered me 4 brand new rims. They are all on already! I also was supposed to have the TSIB brake pads put on, but the tech ordered the wrong ones so it goes back next week for those. I hope these rims last longer and make it through about 2 more winters.

Last night I zaino'ed the heck out of them just to be safe

In general, is it not a good idea to use wheel cleaner spray? Does this typically remove the wax and start to weaken the rims finish? I dont want to take any more chances for the next 2 years I own the car.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 05-02-08, 12:08 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i just got my car serviced for 5,000 and one of the things they put on the service sheet was like a "non-chlor brake cleaner"

Quick Reply: Cleaning stained rims from over the winter