Cleaning stained rims from over the winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 10:18 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cleaning stained rims from over the winter

Hello all,

My wifes IS250 has unfortunately stayed dirty all winter long for the most part due to the horrible winter we have had here in Wisconsin. I just finally washed it this past weekend. Come to find out, the rims are stained a bit yellow/black I imagine from the brake dust sitting on them for months on end. Normal car soap/scrubbing had no effect. I am looking for soultions on how to remove the stains?

This spring, I am definetly getting the new pads lexus is offering due to the high brake dust people complained about. This service bulletin doesn't have a time frame does it?

Thanks for your help!

Brandon
Old 03-10-08, 10:26 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

TSIB: 4 years/50K miles.....

check out the detailing section for your wheels.....
Old 03-10-08, 11:03 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brake dust must not sit on any wheels for over a week, it will burn into the wheels clearcoat and become hard if not yet impossible to remove. I would try a good car polish, then wax them. They may have to be re-clearcoated. I would try this first and then take it to the dealer and let them know you washed the car weekly even though you probably did not. They may warrenty this. Winter salt combined with brake dust is grounds for corrosion.
Old 03-10-08, 11:04 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember looking at my rims and they were stained black/yellow too. i took it to a detailing shop after snow ended here in Boston and the stains are gone. I'll check again if they're still there though (but from what I remember they're not).
Old 03-10-08, 11:56 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Appreciate it guys.

Unfortunately, the winter here a has not allowed me to clean them. Below freezing temps and way more snow than usual has made washing it near impossible this year.

Brain, could I use a polish/swirl remover made for the clearcoar on the rims, than follow up with some wax? Otherwise, turtlewax makes some kind of wheel/ or aluminum/stainless polish that might work too right?

I would think a mild abrasive polish to remove the residue followed by a good waxing might do the trick. I have a feeling the typical spray on wheel cleaner is uselss at this point.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Brandon
Old 03-10-08, 12:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bigbwb...

you will leave marks and need to polish or maybe have them clearcoated as Brian231 mentioned. the way to get that off is to use a brillo pad. yes sounds crazy...i know! i did this on a BMW in the past for the same reason as we dont get to have the perks that others due thru the winter. you will notice what looks like swirl marks on the rims up close but will not see this from a distance. you dont need to use alot of force but i can say it worked for me and is an option. i would think if you polish it after you wont see but minimal marks and i would take that over what they look like know.

sometimes the craziest things work that we would never consider doing. it took me a few weeks to even consider it and after i was very pleased. the finish may be different on our rims then BMW so see what others say but if done right i dont see the harm as you said at this point the wheel cleaner stuff wont do anything.

if you try it let me know how it works out for you.
Old 03-10-08, 12:43 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

When you mentioned leaving marks, is that if I use the polish/swirl remover? I have used this on the paint itself before and buffed it out with excellent results. Will I not achieve similar results on the rims? Is it becuase the clearcoat gets ruined on th rim in the process where as the paint on the car itself is different?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-10-08, 12:51 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Brandon, Pssnu described a method that will work if done lightly with the brillo pad. This is for heavily caked on debris and brake dust. No worries for polish on the rims, typically a tougher clear coat than piant and is deisgned that way intentionally. Maybe you can post some pics. I have worked miracles myself with both paint and both rims.
Old 03-10-08, 01:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Do you mean the Brillo pads that are soap-impregnated steel wool, or have they changed them since I last saw one (admittedly a long time). If they are still the steel wool type, I'd probably give this a miss (unless you like sandpapering your painted rims)! A Scotch-Brite pad may be an option (?)
Old 03-10-08, 01:34 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Do you mean the Brillo pads that are soap-impregnated steel wool, or have they changed them since I last saw one (admittedly a long time). If they are still the steel wool type, I'd probably give this a miss (unless you like sandpapering your painted rims)! A Scotch-Brite pad may be an option (?)
I love the phrase, soap-impregnated steel wool. These will work just fine if the grit is really embedded. You do not have to apply much pressure. I used these on a freinds Volvo rims years ago and they worked like a charm. I am not familier with the A Scotch-Brite pad, but I would say, give it a shot. Obviously, if you are concerned for the clearcoat and worried about your technique of application, I would take it into an auto detailer.
Old 03-10-08, 01:52 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I would try clay bar the wheels first.....

Last edited by kickin8; 03-10-08 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 02:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
I would try clay bar the wheels first.....
what will it do? wouldnt think it will take off that break dust that has sat for months now. anything is worth a shot!

the Brillo pads are just the same you use for cleaning tuff thing on your pots/pans/dishes ect...I see Brian has used this before also. I swear by it under your circumstances.

just do it where it needs it and do it lightly. where you need more then give it what it takes. like i said this has worked for me on another car that was worse then ours on brake dust and even the few washes it got just didnt cutt it thru the winter. i was going to send them out for 50$ per rim when i was told to try it. at that point even if it didnt work i knew i could send them out.

Just give yourself some time and start with just one rim and see how you like it. another thing is get another set of rims and have those be your winter set so you dont have as many worries about them. many are selling on here for a good price and i am sure you will find them on ebay also for minimal money
Old 03-10-08, 03:12 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

I will try a few of your suggestions everyone. I will start out with some polish and if thats doesnt work, I will try the brillo pads & so on. We are getting some more warmer weather, so I will give it a shot very soon and report back.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-10-08, 03:45 PM
DaveyIS
Driver

TRY peanut butter pm me if you have questions
Old 03-10-08, 06:20 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I had this happen to me too...well mostly that yellowish discoloration most likely from salt staying on the rims for a few weeks. It does come off, I did not use any brillo pads, just a good brush to get to the tough spots. It took a lot of effort, and I think if u soak the wheels first in car soap or wheel cleaner that will help also. Also, make sure you clean your rims when the brakes are cooled down, read that somewhere...

ps. I'm not saying Brillo pads wont work, I just have not tried that or Peanut Butter...

Good luck

Quick Reply: Cleaning stained rims from over the winter