IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 07:43 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my car in as well
Old 09-07-06, 08:11 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ML system uses a different wiring harness than the base system uses. Even though the plugs are the same the wiring is different. I've checked the wiring schmatics on this. The wiring harness goes from the dash to the trunk. Besides buying the ML components individually the entire interior, including the seats and dashboard, and the trunk would have to be removed to install the ML wiring harness. One or more of the car's management computers might also have to be replaced.

In other words, if you absolutely need ML, it is easier just to trade in your current IS and buy a new one with ML.
Old 09-07-06, 12:37 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmusic
The ML system uses a different wiring harness than the base system uses. Even though the plugs are the same the wiring is different. I've checked the wiring schmatics on this. The wiring harness goes from the dash to the trunk. Besides buying the ML components individually the entire interior, including the seats and dashboard, and the trunk would have to be removed to install the ML wiring harness. One or more of the car's management computers might also have to be replaced.

In other words, if you absolutely need ML, it is easier just to trade in your current IS and buy a new one with ML.
ahhh...i see.

thanks for the heads up cmusic! so would you suggest just going with the base nav, and getting a nav/dvd converter?

i was looking at getting an Acura TL before, and all of the owners use domsTvandNav2go. i'm going to see if their unit works with the 2IS.

thanks again!
Old 09-07-06, 03:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnAboy
ahhh...i see.

thanks for the heads up cmusic! so would you suggest just going with the base nav, and getting a nav/dvd converter?

i was looking at getting an Acura TL before, and all of the owners use domsTvandNav2go. i'm going to see if their unit works with the 2IS.

thanks again!
the manufacturer of that piece of equipment has declared their unit incompatible with the 2IS....for now.
Old 09-07-06, 10:07 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
the manufacturer of that piece of equipment has declared their unit incompatible with the 2IS....for now.
thanks for the info ken

lol, things just aren't going my way right now.

do you know of an alternative option(besides trade the car in)?
Old 09-07-06, 11:27 PM
debosteebo
Driver School Candidate

have u thought about getting a pioneer indash navigation unit?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...632461,00.html
Old 09-08-06, 05:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by debosteebo

lexus's nav unit also controls the A/C, FM/AM radio, CD controls how would this pioneer do that
Old 09-08-06, 08:30 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

im sure it can be done. there is nothing in a non-nav IS that cant be wired or converted to nav. it maybe alot of work, but it can be done.
Old 09-08-06, 09:04 AM
tgara
Pole Position

I think you are drastically underestimating the magnitude of work and money this swap will require.

Think about it. For parts alone, you'll need an entire new dashboard (for the nav display), steering wheel, Levenstein head unit, wiring harnesses, speakers, navigation components, antennas, etc. I'm guessing, but those parts could cost $5K by themselves. Add in the labor to install these components and you're looking easily at another $4k, if it can be done at all.

Just live with the car you have, or trade in your car for one with the features you want.
Old 09-08-06, 09:17 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tgara
Levenstein head unit...
haha. .
Old 09-10-06, 01:12 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by debosteebo

yeah, i actually went into a place to check it out. i like the unit, but they said it can't be installed because of the dash setup. i guess the way the radio is at the bottom, and how the radio display and temp display are in the upper slot.

they were talking about doing a flip out screen at the bottom of the dash, but the radio display would just be a dead unit.

lol, getting frustrated
Old 09-10-06, 02:43 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

johnAboy,

Here's another tid bit about the 2IS audio system: Remove the factory deck and you loose all A/C functions (in the non-nav 2IS). However the Lexus engineers did leave enough slack in the wiring harness to relocate the factory deck to the glove box and run the wiring harness to it with no cutting of wires.
Old 09-10-06, 03:02 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How about swapping a non-ML Nav for a ML Nav merely for the DVD Drive purpose? Would this be possible? PLUG/PLAY?
Old 09-10-06, 03:48 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
How about swapping a non-ML Nav for a ML Nav merely for the DVD Drive purpose? Would this be possible? PLUG/PLAY?
Did you read post #6 in this thread?
Old 09-10-06, 06:29 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by cmusic
johnAboy,

Here's another tid bit about the 2IS audio system: Remove the factory deck and you loose all A/C functions (in the non-nav 2IS). However the Lexus engineers did leave enough slack in the wiring harness to relocate the factory deck to the glove box and run the wiring harness to it with no cutting of wires.
when you say the factory deck(F.D.), you're talking about this area under the radio display, right?

i'm not sure what the purpose of moving the deck into the glove box would be? if i did install a retractable screen in that area wouldn't i want to have the audio be controlled through the aftermarket unit?

sorry, i think i'm not getting what you're saying about the relocating. could you please explain more?
Attached Thumbnails Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)-lexdeck.jpg  

Quick Reply: Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)