IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 06:22 AM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nav swap can be done but it isn't a simply swap as previously mentioned. If you search there are currently 2 people who have done it. The bad thing is, you cannot just buy the nav center console unit, you would need the engine harness that goes behind the unit and then after that, splice about 20 or so wires from your non nav unit to work with the nav unit.

After all of that is said and done, you would need to route and splice more wires to get the backup cam, voice guidance, and steering wheel controls.

simply put, unless you have access to a totaled navigation ISx50, its not gonna be worth it.
Old 04-26-07, 07:01 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Where are you guys getting your info. the conversion is a pita, but it can be done.

You just need the cut harnesses on the back of the nav + the antenna

Fly me out to hawaii and I will install it for you
Old 04-26-07, 07:07 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Oh you can sell yours and upgrade! lol, just a suggestion....
Old 04-26-07, 10:17 AM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would fly you here, if i could lol. Well basically i want the dvd playing function and the only thing that has the screen is (correct me if im wrong) is the nav unit. Right now i have just the ML. The dealer here said they dont usually order IsX50 with nav because...well were in Hawaii, its not like you can get lost LOL So yeah i just got the next best thing, but having dvd capability would be nice.

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Where are you guys getting your info. the conversion is a pita, but it can be done.

You just need the cut harnesses on the back of the nav + the antenna

Fly me out to hawaii and I will install it for you
Old 04-26-07, 10:41 AM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Ok i think i found my answer. Correct me if im wrong but you can buy the navi unit hook it up and have the dvd capabilities without options like BT, nav, voice etc.
Old 04-26-07, 11:12 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kikaida
Ok i think i found my answer. Correct me if im wrong but you can buy the navi unit hook it up and have the dvd capabilities without options like BT, nav, voice etc.
Yes, but you need the ML DVD Head unit to play DVDs. You probably have the CD head unit.
Old 04-26-07, 11:42 AM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Domo tqlla3k, now all i have to do is find one for sale.
Old 04-26-07, 04:55 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

uugh, i wish i could watch dvd's on the stock nav screen. is there any way i can hook one up through the back and mount dvd player in glovebox
Old 04-26-07, 05:37 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kikaida
Domo tqlla3k, now all i have to do is find one for sale.
good luck!
Old 04-26-07, 05:38 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ron_is350
uugh, i wish i could watch dvd's on the stock nav screen. is there any way i can hook one up through the back and mount dvd player in glovebox
Well you can always buy the ML Head unit. Someone else installed a dvd changer, and hooked it to a unit called navtv
Old 05-23-07, 06:28 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

I've read all relevant threads on CL and have spent many hours reading up on this issue on the internet.

I see here that most of you guys have said the nav swap is impossible because it would be hugely expensive. But how hard is it logistically? There's a bunch of units on eBay for around $1500 which isn't bad at all. If I bought one of those how much trouble is the installation? Some have said the IS has most of the harnesses that you would need built in... plus some of those units are sold with harnesses. I even saw a whole Mark Levinson unit (with amp, speakers and all) on eBay.

I knew I really wanted the nav system before I ever started looking for a new car. But Lexus doesn't offer nav on the 250 in Canada so I just went ahead and bought the IS thinking I would learn to live without the nav. But I find it's really keeping me from enjoying the car. I love everything about my new IS but can't stop obsessing about this issue. So to sum up I'm really interested in doing a swap and would thus appreciate any info.

Last edited by Koofteh; 05-23-07 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-23-07, 07:25 PM
oliveryo
Driver

well in taiwan there is only 2 packages.
luxury
sport luxury

Taiwan does not provide NAVI with any of the IS cars.
Taiwan only provides the IS250 only, not the IS350

So this is what i had to do to setup a NAVI

Old 05-23-07, 07:32 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Yeah I saw that in another thread, thanks for posting it up here too.

That looks really, really good for an aftermarket system. I'm a stock kind of guy though so I still prefer the stock nav unit.

How much did that setup cost you? Oh, and was the dash unit a kit or was it specially made for you? Also does your new headunit communicate with the stock stereo display up top?
Old 05-23-07, 11:15 PM
neova
Pole Position

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=1&catalogid=2

here's a website that sells all OEM components for our Lexus (and toyota/scion) The diagram you see here lists the Nav unit components, and that alone is nearly $8000 in parts. Crazy if you ask me!
Old 05-23-07, 11:19 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Still doesn't answer my question...

You can get the unit off eBay for less than $2g... the rest you can buy off that site... like, $111 for the Bluetooth mic isn't that bad.

See there are two on these forums that have done it. I'm just wondering once they got the unit, how did they go about hooking it up? Are harnesses available? Plus those guys said things like Bluetooth didn't work but what if I bought the microphone off that link above and installed it?

Last edited by Koofteh; 05-24-07 at 02:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)