IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav while driving/track list/DVD hack questions...again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 01:27 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah... your post said the problem was with DVD-A discs (the hi-def type audio format where it's one album on a DVD)

You're doing something a bit different than that though... (and the limitation you ran into makes a lot more sense as a result)
Old 03-12-08, 01:49 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Ah... your post said the problem was with DVD-A discs (the hi-def type audio format where it's one album on a DVD)

You're doing something a bit different than that though... (and the limitation you ran into makes a lot more sense as a result)

Yes...I wanna do the hi def audio discs...but because there is so much space, I'd like to put ALOT of songs on it....not just one album....so i guess its a 2 fold thing....I have successfully burned a DVD-A disc (although it says its a DVD-V????)...
Old 03-12-08, 01:59 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Did you order this kit??

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317919

Love the PnP option...
Yes, I ordered the kit about two weeks ago. Just waiting for delivery. The main reason I wanted this override module was for access to the folders on the CD while in motion. The lock out of this particular feature is driving me crazy! I doubt I will be watching any DVD's while in motion. And to the other posters point, the phone and Nav functions I use the most I have already programed into the system for easy access.
Old 03-12-08, 02:04 PM
stvn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali2is
The main reason I wanted this override module was for access to the folders on the CD while in motion.
That is why i want to do the hack. Its really annoying when i cant look through my mp3 cds. That and using the phonebook while driving because looking down at my cellphone to dial is a real hassle.
Old 03-12-08, 02:07 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

A few quirks.. more like a temper...!!

Thats why you make sure someone is riding shotgun..
No kidding! I totally agree that some of the voice commands are very temperamental (I speak very fluent clear English while saying them too).

Last edited by Little E; 03-12-08 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 02:09 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Originally Posted by stvn
That is why i want to do the hack. Its really annoying when i cant look through my mp3 cds. That and using the phonebook while driving because looking down at my cellphone to dial is a real hassle.
I hear you... But, just in case you didn't know, the phone numbers can be programmed in (I believe up to 12 or 18 speed dial numbers) and you can attach voice prompts. This way you just press the phone button on the steering wheel then say the name. It will automaically dial for you.
Old 03-12-08, 02:11 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cali2is
I hear you... But, just in case you didn't know, the phone numbers can be programmed in (I believe up to 12 or 18 speed dial numbers) and you can attach voice prompts. This way you just press the phone button on the steering wheel then say the name. It will automaically dial for you.
Yes! I am a big fan of the "dial by name" command.
Old 03-12-08, 02:30 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not positive on this, but if it's anything like folders on an MP3 CD, then I think you might be able to switch chapters by pressing and holding the track-change button while driving.

In any case, I did the hack, and I haven't had any real problems so far.
Old 03-12-08, 02:42 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I am not positive on this, but if it's anything like folders on an MP3 CD, then I think you might be able to switch chapters by pressing and holding the track-change button while driving.

In any case, I did the hack, and I haven't had any real problems so far.
Tried...that changes to the next disc....Since thats the only thing I want....can I just do the parking brake mod and leave the speed sensor and Nav wires alone?????
Old 03-12-08, 03:34 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you order this kit??

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317919

Love the PnP option...
Are these still available and instock with PS VIP?

Mike
Old 03-12-08, 03:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Tried...that changes to the next disc....Since thats the only thing I want....can I just do the parking brake mod and leave the speed sensor and Nav wires alone?????
I think you will still have the same issue. the parking brake mod will only allow ML DVD play in motion. In order to achieve what you are looking for you will need to do the Nav Hack or the PNP that others have. I personally have the hack and love it. Easy to do and have had no issues with either the Navi or the ML DVD
Old 03-12-08, 07:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yes...I wanna do the hi def audio discs...but because there is so much space, I'd like to put ALOT of songs on it....not just one album....so i guess its a 2 fold thing....I have successfully burned a DVD-A disc (although it says its a DVD-V????)...
It said DVD-V because that's what it was... it's burned like a video DVD with all audio tracks on it... that's why you fit so many songs on it.

DVD-A is a special format capable of hi-def 5.1 surround sound... most DVD burning programs do NOT burn DVD-A discs.

You generally need a program specifically designed to author DVD-A to do so, and you'd need the high-end 5.1 source material, not just songs copied from CDs or MP3s, for it to be worth doing.

DVD-Audio supports bit depths up to 24-bit and sample rates up to 192 kHz, while CD audio is 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.

A DVD-A disc will typically hold 2-4 hours of music total of higher-than-cd quality 5.1 surround sound, or about 6 hours of CD-quality sound.
Old 03-13-08, 10:49 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Originally Posted by kitsune
Are these still available and instock with PS VIP?

Mike
None in stock, but they can order from Japan. Just takes a little bit longer.
Old 03-14-08, 02:29 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It said DVD-V because that's what it was... it's burned like a video DVD with all audio tracks on it... that's why you fit so many songs on it.

DVD-A is a special format capable of hi-def 5.1 surround sound... most DVD burning programs do NOT burn DVD-A discs.

You generally need a program specifically designed to author DVD-A to do so, and you'd need the high-end 5.1 source material, not just songs copied from CDs or MP3s, for it to be worth doing.

DVD-Audio supports bit depths up to 24-bit and sample rates up to 192 kHz, while CD audio is 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.

A DVD-A disc will typically hold 2-4 hours of music total of higher-than-cd quality 5.1 surround sound, or about 6 hours of CD-quality sound.
I know all that...but according to my burning software....It says "Audio DVD" capable....but I bet they are simply burning a DVD-V....sucks...I have the material....I just need the right software.....
Old 03-14-08, 05:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I know all that...but according to my burning software....It says "Audio DVD" capable....but I bet they are simply burning a DVD-V....sucks...I have the material....I just need the right software.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

List of software that can properly author a real DVD-A disc there for Windows, Mac, and Linux

Quick Reply: Nav while driving/track list/DVD hack questions...again....