IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer left off oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 05:13 PM
Lama
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine
yes because changing oil is the same as flying a plane...
Jet engines have oil caps. Thats all.
Old 03-12-08, 05:20 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wolverine
not everyone is perfect man. its not like he did it on purpose.
Which is why I do my own oil changes.
Old 03-12-08, 05:25 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Little E
Doesn't matter. If you drop off your car "in trust" of the service and pay the $$$ for it, you should expect nothing but the best results. Oil changing should be second nature to the service crew. They should know the process like the back of their hand.
I'm with you and everyone else on this. He didn't take it to Jiffy Lube. Given the ridiculous amount of money charges Lexus for an oil change forgetting to put the oil cap on isn't acceptable.
Old 03-12-08, 07:31 PM
VF84
Pole Position

doubt u'd lose too much, happened to my other car, same thing, dealer didn't screw on cap properly. nothing happened, just messy spout out. make sure the oil didn't spill all over and oxidize in your engine bay, if so, make sure they clean it up too...
Old 03-12-08, 08:13 PM
Driver School Candidate

There is some oil splashed on the plastic engine cover and the underside of the hood. It is not a huge mess though. I imagine they can clean it or replace the plastic.

So I think the general consensus is that there shouldn't be any damage to the engine. I will take it back and have them check it out and clean it up.

Thanks everyone for all the responses.
Old 03-12-08, 11:59 PM
702/350
Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
Just make sure the oil level is ok or if any amount was lost. read the dipstick. Saddly, this is common with oil change places and you caught this quickly so I doubt any major damage occured if any. Let the dealer re-do the whole oil change with complimentary cleaning up of the split oil i the engine bay. I would have them clean the whole car out of good measure.
DO not let them clean the whole car is what he meant. Right.
Old 03-13-08, 12:05 AM
702/350
Driver

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
it was the person that worked on your car not the dealership
Exactly, a "Lexus" "dealership" is much more than some hooha that carelessly forgot 1 part to your maintenance req' (granted it was an important 1). Let us remember we all went to these "dealerships" and handed them thousands of dollars, @1 pt' during the process .Yes?LORL.
Old 03-13-08, 06:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Have you called the dealer service manager to ask about it? Do that right away.

Likely no damaged was caused especially since you aren't complaining about oil all over your engine or low oil level (check it if you haven't). I believe an open oil cap throws the same open system code that the loose gas cap does.

Do you have the cap for the drive to the dealer or is it missing entirely? If you do, put it on. If you don't, have them bring you another one before driving your car more.

Once there, have the dealer reset the CEL codes and check the car out. MAKE SURE to ask that they record that the cap was left off at the dealership during the oil change and driven on your car's service record and get a printout of that invoice & save it. In case something bad did happen and doesn't reveal itself until much later you'll have some backup.
Old 03-13-08, 06:55 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Have you called the dealer service manager to ask about it? Do that right away.

Likely no damaged was caused especially since you aren't complaining about oil all over your engine or low oil level (check it if you haven't). I believe an open oil cap throws the same open system code that the loose gas cap does.

Do you have the cap for the drive to the dealer or is it missing entirely? If you do, put it on. If you don't, have them bring you another one before driving your car more.

Once there, have the dealer reset the CEL codes and check the car out. MAKE SURE to ask that they record that the cap was left off at the dealership during the oil change and driven on your car's service record and get a printout of that invoice & save it. In case something bad did happen and doesn't reveal itself until much later you'll have some backup.
This is the best advice thus far. I had mine document on my Infiniti when the dealer overfilled my oil. I had them state in records that the oil had been overfilled (by a quart). They re-did everything and made the notation. This will just cover your end.
Old 03-13-08, 07:28 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks....
Old 03-13-08, 07:57 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
did any oil spill out? i accidentally left my oil cap off my old car and remembered after driving a mile. i opened the hood and oil was all over the bottom of the hood and around the engine block... it was a huge mess!
how did you clean it up ?
Old 03-13-08, 09:16 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
how did you clean it up ?
dabbed most of it up with a rag and used a high pressure hose to spray everything else off after covering the distributor cap with a plastic bag hahah.
Old 03-13-08, 02:59 PM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks DaveGS4. I'll make sure to get it noted in the service record. The cap was left in the engine compartment. I took some pictures, then I put the cap back on. I'll give them a call right now and hopefully drop it off tomorrow morning.
Old 03-13-08, 05:40 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
dabbed most of it up with a rag and used a high pressure hose to spray everything else off after covering the distributor cap with a plastic bag hahah.
Wow, your IS has a distributor cap? Must be the throwback model!

Old 03-14-08, 04:07 PM
Driver School Candidate

Last update: I took the car in this morning. They cleaned up the splattered oil, though it doesn't look like they did a great job. You can still see some of it. They cleared the error code. And they noted in the service record that they had left the oil cap off during its last service.

Quick Reply: Dealer left off oil cap