IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has the brake dust TSB part number changed? Also question for Dallas members.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08 | 01:44 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Has the brake dust TSB part number changed? Also question for Dallas members.

I recently had the brake dust TSIB done at the Sewell dealer in Dallas, and I noticed on the invoice that it listed the same brake pad part number as the ones from the factory. I asked them about it, and they insisted that it was the right brake pads, and the part number had just changed. I thought it sounded very fishy, but I just said fine, whatever.

But after driving the car for a while since then, I notice that the brakes feel exactly the same, and I've heard from several people here that they should feel much different. The wheels also seem to be dusting as much as ever, I think...

Are these really new brake pads, and they're just not as good as I was hoping? Have other people been having this same experience, or is my dealer full of it? Have any other DFW area members had better luck at any other dealers?

(And fot those that remember, yes, this is the same dealer that couldn't refinish my front bumper properly.)
Old 03-13-08 | 02:02 PM
TP_IS350
Driver School Candidate

Had mine done about a year ago. Part number of the less-dusting pads was definitely different from the original pads, as per the TSIB. I had mine done at Park Place Lexus, and they didn't give me any problems. Though it was a good thing I provided them a copy of the TSIB as my SA wasn't aware of this issue at the time.
Old 03-13-08 | 02:06 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Park Place Plano denied me after they scheldualed me to go get them done.
I told them about it when i went to do my 1st month service and then i came back and they said no. Jerks.
Old 03-13-08 | 02:15 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

They denied you? How can they do that? What'd they say? "We just don't feel like it anymore"?
Old 03-13-08 | 02:21 PM
doggiebus
Driver School Candidate

My brakes were squeaking so I had mine changed two weeks ago, and I haven't had any noise and much less dust. If I had the other pads, after two days they would of needed to be cleaned, they still look pretty clean two weeks later. The part number on my receipt is 04007-35153, which is the same one on the TSIB pdf. Is this the number you have?

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-13-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-13-08 | 02:48 PM
7 SEVEN
Driver School Candidate

I went to Park Place Grapevine. I got mine done at the 15000 mile oil change. I just asked him why I have so much brake dust and he acted like it was a non issue. Then I proceeded to ask him what TSB means and that I read online somewhere that it is a known issue. After I said that, he said they have had many complaints and offered to change them for me. I could tell driving away that it was a little different, but now 2 month's later, I can't tell a difference, but the brake dust is gone!
Old 03-13-08 | 02:55 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

I did mine at sewell of dallas (one off lemon) and they def. were different. they don't bite as hard, and over time i learned to appreciate them. They really don't have that much less brake dust imo, I just looked at it as a free brake pad.

The number is different. PRint out the tsb and take it up there.
Old 03-13-08 | 03:09 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I did print it out and show it to one of their reps, but he told me the service guy told him that the part number had changed and that I definitely had the new pads... I'm fairly sure that's bs.

EDIT: I think what I'm going to do is just take it to the Park Place dealer.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 03-13-08 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-13-08 | 03:25 PM
moolman
Pole Position

If you had the TSB done at another dealership. The next dealership will not do it because they won't get paid to do it from Lexus again.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, they are not going to go through the hassle of an brake job, just to put the same pads back on. I'm sure they put on the newer pads but in the computer, just put the old part number in. Either way, you'll survive and the car will survive.
Old 03-13-08 | 03:29 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Also had mine done at Sewell without issues. And yes they were different, and no more break dust for me YEA!!!
Old 03-13-08 | 03:34 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

you can tell if they are lying or not after 20 miles.......
Old 03-13-08 | 03:35 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by iKenn
Park Place Plano denied me after they scheldualed me to go get them done.
I told them about it when i went to do my 1st month service and then i came back and they said no. Jerks.
time to go to another dealer!!!
Old 03-13-08 | 03:36 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Well I checked lexus-parts.com, and the pads with the correct part number DO still exist, so I don't know wtf they're talking about. These are the pads I should have, right?

http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_det...id=90160&all=Y
Old 03-13-08 | 03:41 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

hey rocketguy, the same thing happen to me the dumb tech put the same oem brake pads!!! so go and complain. after the second time they did it right and you notice right away because no more dust!!!
Old 03-13-08 | 04:29 PM
taylorjste
Pole Position

i had my pads replaced at park place grapevine during my 15K mile service. i gave them a copy of the TSB and had no issues. my invoice shows the part number for the brakes that you posted earlier in the thread. i did notice a slight change in feel, but i was used to it by the time i got home.. i love the cleaner pads!

Quick Reply: Has the brake dust TSB part number changed? Also question for Dallas members.