IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Subwoofer Install Rant/Happy/Not so Happy

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 12:20 AM
LexInTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Install Rant/Happy/Not so Happy

Ok well after much thought and consideration I finally installed an Audiobahn Alum 12" sub and an 800 watt Rockford Fosgate amp that I had bought a while back. Both brand new.
Did the install process just like many here have already done....tapped into the stock sub wires and ran them into the high level inputs on the amp. Settings are all perfect and the install was pretty simple and straightforward...Everything sounds just as it should (IN THE TRUNK!!)
What I mean by "In The Trunk" is that the design for quietness in the car really does work. I open the trunk and BOOM, its loud. Sit in the car and its hardly noticeable . It almost seems as if im just using the stock sub again.
I left the stock non-ML sub in its place and working as I was expecting much more boom. I had this same system in a VW GTI and the difference in sound from the VW to the IS was night and day.
I guess if I remove the stock sub I can use that port as an entry area for bass but I didnt want to go through that much modifying just for the sound. I will probably just open the access door/arm rest in the backseat and have that port there to let more bass pass through. Just a rant as I cant complain about the greatness of luxury/quiet driving, but damn sometimes u just wanna jam out too.
Old 03-15-08, 12:33 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

VW GTI... thats a hatchback... the IS is a sedan DI DI DII~ *carlos mencia voice*

Still, that is pretty funny AND thx for sharing as i MIGHT decide to put a sub in, in the future that is.
Old 03-15-08, 12:44 AM
LexInTex
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I know, but it still had a trunk separated by a backseat. Its just amazing the difference in sound. I guess the GTI's interior trunk lid is what made the biggest difference in letting sound through since the center access door never had to be lowered.

Old 03-15-08, 12:49 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ALSO dont forget, the lexus IS is a luxury car = sound dampening. While the GTI is more of a hot hatch = lighter weight = less sound dampening
Old 03-15-08, 06:56 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Like you said, just open the pass-through behind the rear center armrest.
Old 03-15-08, 09:08 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts

Did you try it with the phase switch on the amp reversed? If the stock sub and the Audiobahn are out of phase (in the cabin) they will cancel each other out somewhat. But I agree, the most likely fix is to remove the stock sub and cross over the Audiobahn at a higher frequency. You might have to tweak the settings on the Rockford as I'm sure the signal from the Lexus amp is equalized for the stock sub.
Old 03-15-08, 12:01 PM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Originally Posted by LexInTex
Ok well after much thought and consideration I finally installed an Audiobahn Alum 12" sub and an 800 watt Rockford Fosgate amp that I had bought a while back. Both brand new.
Did the install process just like many here have already done....tapped into the stock sub wires and ran them into the high level inputs on the amp. Settings are all perfect and the install was pretty simple and straightforward...Everything sounds just as it should (IN THE TRUNK!!)
What I mean by "In The Trunk" is that the design for quietness in the car really does work. I open the trunk and BOOM, its loud. Sit in the car and its hardly noticeable . It almost seems as if im just using the stock sub again.
I left the stock non-ML sub in its place and working as I was expecting much more boom. I had this same system in a VW GTI and the difference in sound from the VW to the IS was night and day.
I guess if I remove the stock sub I can use that port as an entry area for bass but I didnt want to go through that much modifying just for the sound. I will probably just open the access door/arm rest in the backseat and have that port there to let more bass pass through. Just a rant as I cant complain about the greatness of luxury/quiet driving, but damn sometimes u just wanna jam out too.
I agree. I have 1 Kicker 10" L7 and it was really loud in my old Xterra, but is ok in the IS with the same setup. Have you tried using an LOC instead of hi-level? I dont know if it would make a difference but.....
Old 03-15-08, 12:39 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

you need at least two 10's I used to have one JL w6 and i had the same issue. I switch to two Alpine Type-R's and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, theres so much difference even with the pass-thru up. I know you just dropped money on a whole setup but i'd really suggest getting a second sub.
Old 03-15-08, 02:56 PM
LexInTex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
I agree. I have 1 Kicker 10" L7 and it was really loud in my old Xterra, but is ok in the IS with the same setup. Have you tried using an LOC instead of hi-level? I dont know if it would make a difference but.....
Tried the LOC....same thing. Its pretty much obvious that its the sound dampening because of how good it sounds with the trunk open. Only thing is to add more subs.

Originally Posted by trinityhk
you need at least two 10's I used to have one JL w6 and i had the same issue. I switch to two Alpine Type-R's and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, theres so much difference even with the pass-thru up. I know you just dropped money on a whole setup but i'd really suggest getting a second sub.
Well I have 3 more 12's, 1 8", 2 10's and 2 15's

I just didnt want to take up any more trunk space. Oh well, gotta sacrifice something in order to get what you want eh? I think im just gonna deal with it and maybe even get a custom enclosure for the corner of the trunk; the used space is already starting to bother me.
Old 03-15-08, 04:50 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

try turning the sub around facing the back of the trunk against the back of the seat. if you have more bass with the trunk open your getting whats called cancellation.
facing subs forward is the worst way to get bass in the cabin.
Old 03-27-08, 06:28 PM
2JZLexIS
Driver School Candidate

To be honest with you, if you want more bass. I would go and buy an 8" sub and replace it with the Stock sub. Make sure the magnet could fit in the space for the sub. I LOVE JL Audio, but suit yourself with what you like. This way, your not taking up any space in your trunk, and your bass will sound phenominal with the amp pushing the sub right Inside of your cabin!
Old 03-27-08, 06:39 PM
IS350Livin
Pit Crew

I have one Alpine 12 with 300 watts in the custom IS box that is sold on this forum, and it POUNDS. I am an avid audio enthusiast, and have always spent thousands on car audio, but now am into good sound. The ML system stock with an added sub is incredible. You do need to take out the stock sub for it allows more air along with opening up the armrest. It's no big deal but makes all the dif.
Old 03-28-08, 07:29 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Yea same here...1 12 W7 with a 1000/1 and it slams! Do take out that trunk pass through door though.
Old 03-28-08, 08:37 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZLexIS
To be honest with you, if you want more bass. I would go and buy an 8" sub and replace it with the Stock sub. Make sure the magnet could fit in the space for the sub. I LOVE JL Audio, but suit yourself with what you like. This way, your not taking up any space in your trunk, and your bass will sound phenominal with the amp pushing the sub right Inside of your cabin!
Have you done this to your car? If so, what did you install and how did you connect it to the existing system?
Old 03-28-08, 09:04 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless we get the key questions answered, we're completely blind to what your problem could be

1. What kind of box do you have it in? sealed? ported? bandpass?

2. What ohm load do you have the sub wired to? is it a Dual Voice Coil (DVC) sub?

3. What is the amp? Is it a mono amp, or a 2 channel? If two channel, do you have it bridged?

4. As addressed in a previous post, what phase is your amp on?

5. Also addressed...which way is your sub facing? You should see the face of the sub when looking into the truck from the outside.

I have a kicker S10L7 with a 750watt digital amp...and it absoloutley pounds. You should not have to remove your stock sub, and you 100% don't have to add a second sub. If you got into my car without knowing what i had in there, you'd swear i have dual subs. This can be worked out...just need to know these questions.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Install Rant/Happy/Not so Happy