IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I put gas in EVERYDAY is that ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 06:49 PM
SpookJr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you never driven a car before or owned one? what kind of question is this? Is putting gas in a car going to hurt it
Old 03-23-08, 07:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford
No myth, http://www.carterfueldelivery.com/fu.../consumers.php well o.k. a little exaggeration. No quantity given but it says don't let it get really low.
If our fuel pump was designed this way, it would be reasonable advice. However, the pump in the ISx50 sits in a subtank that keeps the fuel pump submerged even when the main tank is low. See posts 23 and 24.
Old 03-23-08, 07:51 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

I hear that you need to empty out your tank, or at least till it gets to the E line before refilling b/c this ensures that no particles build up in your tank and screw up your fuel lines.
Old 03-23-08, 08:12 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If our fuel pump was designed this way, it would be reasonable advice. However, the pump in the ISx50 sits in a subtank that keeps the fuel pump submerged even when the main tank is low. See posts 23 and 24.
Don't you mean 23-27. Add me to the thanks column. But I still like fillin' up before 1/4, that's just the what I'm used to.
Old 03-23-08, 09:20 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ano0oj
NEVER let your needle go below 1/2 a tank? i always wait until that thing is on E to fill her up...
same here, or when the light goes on, but recently i been trying to improve my gas miles so ill go till around 0 or close as possible with the approx milage. to see what i can get. 330 use to be ideal for me but im seeing 390 now 400 here i come!
Old 03-24-08, 04:38 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

usually i never go to a gas station till the orange light lights up.
Old 03-24-08, 04:58 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Usually when the light comes on - almost never before. Might be maing an exception tomorrow though - got about 160 miles left on this tank and work's 90 miles round trip.

Oh and back on topic - it won't hurt, but it's just a pain in the *** to go to the gas station every freaking day.
Old 03-24-08, 05:00 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel passing throught it. Letting the tank get low will not have any affect on the life of the pump.

Koz
Old 03-24-08, 06:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would use most of the gas to get rid of it first then fill it up. maybe take the 7-10$ and put it in a gas fund and use it at the end of the week when you go fill up the car? I wouldn't want to keep old gas sitting in the car too long and get it out quickly.

Did you do this in your previous cars?
Old 03-24-08, 06:27 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 350nub
i put on gas when the Estimate Miles is 10 miles remain...
Since the pump nozzle is really a surrogate gun for the oil companies, I avoid stations as long as possible since they rob you every time you stop....
Old 03-24-08, 07:35 AM
sykocus
Lead Lap

I try and fill up before it goes below a half a tank 1/2. This helps reduce shock and stress (on my wallet). But gas off base here is about $4.15 so i tend to fill up anytime I'm close to one of the military bases, just in case.
Old 03-24-08, 07:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I usually fill up with Shell V-Power between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.
Old 03-24-08, 10:26 AM
MGalloway
Driver School Candidate

I keep mine under 1/4..better performance.
Old 03-24-08, 11:09 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

keeping a full tank only does good. i dont see how it can be bad for your car

if the weather is really cold, then its better to have a full tank (to avoid fuel line freezing)

or if you are not going to be driving the car a couple of weeks then its good to leave it with a full tank of gas
Old 03-24-08, 11:13 AM
joshmtx
Rookie

No, it's not ok!

Filling up everyday is likely to put unneccesary usage on your fuel door cable, latches, mechanisms, gas cap, etc. You are also more likely to spill gas on your cars paint. This also means more starting and stopping. More wear on your leather getting in and out, etc. You are also more likely to get into an accident or get bad gas. You are more likely to develop lung disease and heart failure. Or not.

Less fuel = less weight = better performance

Cost wise, you are best filling up when the price is the lowest. With gas prices going up everyday, you might be saving money buying it everyday, but that's just plain silly. Whether you buy gas all at once or break it up, it adds up the same. Do you buy groceries everyday too?

I buy gas when I am low and usually fill up due to convenience, but I have considered keeping less gas in and seeing if it improves economy with less weight. I would guess it does.

I also typically fill up when I am low on gas and near an area that typically has lower prices. In my commute gas prices can vary by 15 cents. I don't like to be caught low on gas when I am in the high price range.

Is there some reason that you want a full tank all the time?

If you are going to fill up all the time and want to help cash flow, keep it low. If you run down your tank, then you won't have to spend the cash for a little while. If you don't use the gas you paid for, then you are wasting money.

Quick Reply: I put gas in EVERYDAY is that ok?