I put gas in EVERYDAY is that ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 08:41 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weesped
haha maybe he's hopeing gas prices go down
Good luck with that one. So maybe his gas for the week costs $49.85 instead of $50.00!
Old 04-29-08, 10:29 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to bump a month old thread, but isn't there one other problem with running a tank to empty? Doesn't it cause your pump to suck up some of the sediment and dirt that is collected at the bottom of your tank and more quickly clog the fuel filter or damage the pump?

(Maybe this is also avoided by Toyota's subtank design, I'm not sure.)
Old 04-29-08, 10:58 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Ive ran every car Ive had until empty just about every single time. (Not all are listed in my sig). Ive had some of them for over 100k miles, never once a problem. I do not believe in this nonsense for a second. Fill it up whenever you want.
Old 04-29-08, 11:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric
Ive ran every car Ive had until empty just about every single time. (Not all are listed in my sig). Ive had some of them for over 100k miles, never once a problem. I do not believe in this nonsense for a second. Fill it up whenever you want.
There's folks who never change their oil and don't have any problems too... it doesn't make it a good idea.
Old 04-29-08, 11:52 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I have a custom fuelsafe tank with a 1,000 gallon capacity so I don't have to worry about such things. Gas Empty light? What on God's green earth are you guys talking about?
Old 04-29-08, 11:59 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's folks who never change their oil and don't have any problems too... it doesn't make it a good idea.
Apples to oranges please. Never changing your oil will ruin your motor. Period. Waiting until you get to E to fill your gas tank has been going on forever and I have yet in my lifetime heard of this being detrimental to the fuel pump.

I just called my brother who is a Toyota mechanic (soon to be Lexus!) and he laughed at me for even asking him about this. It is complete nonsense and untrue.

Last edited by Electric; 04-29-08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 01:10 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Apples to oranges please. Never changing your oil will ruin your motor. Period. Waiting until you get to E to fill your gas tank has been going on forever and I have yet in my lifetime heard of this being detrimental to the fuel pump.

I just called my brother who is a Toyota mechanic (soon to be Lexus!) and he laughed at me for even asking him about this. It is complete nonsense and untrue.
As has already been established, it's not an issue on Toyotas because of the way they designed the fuel tank and pump, but it IS on many cars.

That said, I'm still not sure how much sediment at the bottom of the tank can cause an issue in any car (but looking at the diagrams lobuxracer posted, I don't think it's an issue at least for Toyotas, either).
Old 04-29-08, 01:22 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So we all understand this correctly, this:

Equals this:

Old 04-29-08, 01:52 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

... If you let your car run out of gas, you'll get into an accident in the Rockies? (or wherever that is)
Old 04-29-08, 01:56 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
... If you let your car run out of gas, you'll get into an accident in the Rockies? (or wherever that is)
Looks like the Middle East judging by the terrain, vehicle, and front license plate!!! They have many X-Files esque type cases involving car explosions due to lack of fuel. Seems dichotomous to me, but cars are sensitive these days.
Old 04-29-08, 02:07 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

on weds and fridays, if it's close to 1/3 empty, i put another 1/4 in.

if it's sunday to tuesday, I don't put gas in it. unless it's the 3rd week of the month.

Saturday's I don't even drive the car. Unless I need gas, then I'll go out and fill it up.

Make sense? No? well, neither does this thread.
Old 04-30-08, 09:10 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Except, it's not.

As noted the IS (and 4th gen supras, and some other toyotas) engineers around the cooling problem with a smaller pump reservoir, but MOST cars have not.

MOST cars on the road, the pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, and driving near empty shortens its service life... that's apart from the sediment issue... and THAT is apart from the issue of poor tank design in many cars where the pump is at one end of the a wide flat tank and sloshing can cause it to get fuel starved in a turn if the fuel level is very low (another engineering issue solved in the IS and some other toyota cars)
Old 05-01-08, 08:19 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

i have 5k on my car been runing on the same tank the dealership gave me
Old 05-01-08, 08:42 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg0723
You must have the fuel non-depletion option which some dealers may refer to as "Gas For Life?"
Old 05-01-08, 09:03 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by greg0723
WTF?

Quick Reply: I put gas in EVERYDAY is that ok?