IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

hid help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 06:23 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hid help please

i recently purchased a 9006 hid conversion kit from mobilehid and it is causeing major inteference with my radio. i mounted it exactly where everyone else did behind the steel bumper. with zip ties and even put some felt padding behind the ballasts for cushioning. i have talked to severeal other members who have recently purchased the same kit and they have had no radio inteference.

anyways when the fog lights are on it causes radio inteference, but when off the radio works great. so i was shipped a second set of ballasts to test them out and they are still causing radio inteference. i tried 3 different grounds pluging 1 ballast in by itself and things of that nature. but i dont understand whats causing the inteference.

any ideas of what could be causeing the inteference?

thanks
Old 03-23-08, 06:30 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Does it do i with the CD? Is it doing it on FM or AM?
Old 03-23-08, 06:37 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slee18
Does it do i with the CD? Is it doing it on FM or AM?
fm/am radio only
Old 03-23-08, 06:48 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like your heading in the right direction. You might have the connectors backwards on the harness. It is sending a feedback through the electrical system.

i had a problem with my Camaro when i hooked up the HID instead of the sealed bulb I had to change the positive and negative around. The ground was leaking out and causing other problems like turning on my high beams even though they werent supposed to be on.

Did that and everything was hunky dory

Give that a try. Good Luck!
Old 03-23-08, 07:00 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the 1st time I heard this type of problem
Old 03-23-08, 07:01 PM
stvn
Pole Position

I just got the mobilehid 3K in the mail. Wondering if slee's suggestion works.. in case the problem arises.
Old 03-23-08, 07:15 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

TFZ I was a skeptic too when i changed out my sealed beams for HID's. I thought it was a loose or bad ground. I double checked with my mechanic and a mod shop that i am friends with and they both concurred that the connectors were backwards. It was trying to ground itself on the + side instead of the - side.

Check the DYI on hid conversion on the foglights. CSPEC did a write up on it and he changed it + & - sides of the terminal.
Old 03-24-08, 01:31 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

hmm reversing the plugs sounds like it would work. i didnt even think of trying that because the plugs/adapters all have the safetly clips on the end to secure them on so i assumed they were all plug and play. ill definately try this tomm when i get a chance. thanks for the comments!
Old 03-25-08, 12:01 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Did you try moving the ballast to a different mounting location? I saw you tried different grounding locations but I was not sure whether you actually physically switched the mounting location.

Steve
Old 03-25-08, 12:13 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

unfortunately i did try moving the ballasts around and it was no such help, switched polarities on the plugs, tried 2 different sets of ballasts(same brand), different ground locations and for the life of me and my friends i was unable to come up with any kind of solution. even went as far as buying some farite things from radio shack. just no luck. its just so odd cause ive talked to numerous ppl with the same conversion hid's and no one else has had this problem.
Old 03-25-08, 12:34 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

unplug each light at a time and see if it does it on either side. dont unplug the ballast. Then unplug both at the same time.

Are there relays in the set?

Can you post some pics?
Old 03-25-08, 12:49 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

i actually tested one ballasts at a time also with 3 different grounds for each ballasts. the same result occured each time RFI. with lights&ballasts plugged in

however i did just test the ballasts itself, while i left the ballast plugged in and unplugged the light and there would be no inteference. so i was like wow its working and i plugged the light back in and immediately there would be inteference.

so i do not know if the lights can actually can be defective and cause inteference. yes there is a relay and a fuse. it is powered by the battery.

unfortunately i was tired of taking my bumper on and off so the last time i took the whole kit out to return it. however if you or anyone has any valid suggestions, i can easily test it out now through the passengar side fog light.
Old 03-25-08, 01:25 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you have tried everything.

Send it back! I think that something in the wiring system might not be working correctly. I.E. not enough shielding on the wires and causing interference. They might have had a batch of bad cables and not know about it.
Old 03-27-08, 10:12 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Huh, I just realized that the same thing happens to me, although I can't tell if it's just from the Fogs or the Fods + Headlights.

With Headlights and Fogs, I can tell on the weaker stations that there's interference. Turning off the Fogs reduces it a decent amount. Turning off Headlights after that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Both my headlight and fog kits are from MobileHID. Let me know if you figure out what's wrong with yours (or if sending your kit back fixes it).