IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thank God for my brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 06:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank God for my brakes!!

Coming back from the gym this morning, TWO deer jump out in front of the car from the woods... I was going about 60 (country road), hammer the brakes, no fade which is good as there was a fairly steep drop to the right. They look at me and slowly continue on....

I know the IS brakes are "touchy", but this is at least the 4th time now they have really saved me in a situation....
Old 03-24-08, 06:37 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Coming back from the gym this morning, TWO deer jump out in front of the car from the woods... I was going about 60 (country road), hammer the brakes, no fade which is good as there was a fairly steep drop to the right. They look at me and slowly continue on....

I know the IS brakes are "touchy", but this is at least the 4th time now they have really saved me in a situation....
Thank God for "Brake Assist" and "Electronic Brake Force Distribution" which really allows for the most efficient useage of the ABS!!! Glad you were able to avoid the deer. Bosch had a motto in the early 80's that stated, Use the the ABS once and it's paid for itself. This was a small slogan to justify the earlier expense ($2,000-2,500) option.
Old 03-24-08, 06:40 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

I love the brakes on my IS, makes me feel a lot safer...reminds me of the brembos in my STI...not the same I know, but very dependable and safe...
Old 03-24-08, 07:55 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Good thing you stopped in time! Hitting a deer is like hitting a tree (or so i've heard).

Glad u didnt get hurt! IS Breaks FTW!
Old 03-24-08, 09:42 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The EBD is awesome. I was in a parking lot when someone jumped out in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and I could feel them clamping down full force even before I had pushed the pedal down all the way.
Old 03-24-08, 09:58 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
The EBD is awesome. I was in a parking lot when someone jumped out in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and I could feel them clamping down full force even before I had pushed the pedal down all the way.
Definitely a great safety feature for panic situations. Even my gen 1 had EBD and it saved me when someone blew through a red light.
Old 03-24-08, 10:01 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

glad to hear you're safe! our breaks rock!!
Old 03-24-08, 10:14 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al503
Felt that this morning.... with all the snow this year I'm sure it won't be the last deer incident this spring!!!!
Old 03-24-08, 10:20 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I thought the brakes were kinda vague on this car. My S4 seemed to have far better brakes, but then again I have a 250.
Old 03-24-08, 10:42 AM
elmerrox
Pole Position

sadly ive hit a deer before, i hit a deer once in my civic, i was driving on the freeway and i was actually going around 57 mph and i see 2 beady eyes, i thought it was a man, or a kid, then i hit my brakes and then "pow" then the sound and feeling like i went over a large speed bump, i check my rear view and notice nothing was there, i was pissed too cause i slammed my brakes and i still hit something so i exited and pulled over to a chevron gas station right off the freeway, as i pull up i notice a few faces checking out my car and they had an eerie/grossed out look. i lowered my window and peaked out and i notice a dead dear that had got caught in my wheel well.... i pretty much **** a brick and climbed out thru the passenger side and i called the cops... then a fire fighter pulled it right out, my car had a huge, huge, huge dent on the driver side front fender and blood all over the driver side, non on the windows.
yeah i know that was random, but its true.
Old 03-24-08, 11:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
And I thought the brakes were kinda vague on this car. My S4 seemed to have far better brakes, but then again I have a 250.
No, i traded in an 05 1/2 S4 for this car to get out of my high mileage lease agreement after 18 mos...lucked out on that one!!! I must say i miss the car and wanted the RS4 but things as you know started to get crazy in this market. I still would love to get my hands on that RS4 if things ever allow that to happen. A true 4 door sedan that was great in all aspects for me with out having a 2 door car!

But even on the 350 the brakes and handling dont compare to the Audi what so ever! Not that the IS isnt a very nice car but night and day difference!

Braking is pretty decent on our car. They just dont compare to BMW or Audi IMO!
Old 03-24-08, 12:14 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by elmerrox
sadly ive hit a deer before, i hit a deer once in my civic, i was driving on the freeway and i was actually going around 57 mph and i see 2 beady eyes, i thought it was a man, or a kid, then i hit my brakes and then "pow" then the sound and feeling like i went over a large speed bump, i check my rear view and notice nothing was there, i was pissed too cause i slammed my brakes and i still hit something so i exited and pulled over to a chevron gas station right off the freeway, as i pull up i notice a few faces checking out my car and they had an eerie/grossed out look. i lowered my window and peaked out and i notice a dead dear that had got caught in my wheel well.... i pretty much **** a brick and climbed out thru the passenger side and i called the cops... then a fire fighter pulled it right out, my car had a huge, huge, huge dent on the driver side front fender and blood all over the driver side, non on the windows.
yeah i know that was random, but its true.
Yikes! I would be freaking out! It sucks when animals run out in the middle of roads in traffic. I have seen lots of accidents caused by this.