IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Multiple Lighting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08 | 04:30 PM
lexXxus13
Driver

Question Multiple Lighting Questions

So I did a search and did not find what I was looking for... hopefully someone can help me out here.

1) I have the white 5 SMT led's installed for my city lights. I also have the luminics pure blue DRL's. I originally had blue SMT parking lights though (recently swapped for the white) and when I swapped them the led's were burnt and melted. I believe this was from the heat coming off the DRL's. Anyone else have this issue? I drive with my headlights on now all the time so my DRL's wont burn out the white LED's but I dont want to waste a ton of hours on my HID's (low beams) during the day either.

2) I also have Luminics Pure Blue Fog Lights. Had them about 6 or 7 months and one just burnt out. WHATS THE DEAL!?!? Has anyone had problems with the luminics bulbs. I mean I know bulbs dont last forever but I was hoping for more than a year.

Based on 1 and 2 Im thinking no more luminics bulbs. Not exactly happy with the quality.

3) I now have to replace the fogs due to number 2. I am looking for a bluish tint fog to match my 8000K HID's. Any suggestions? Something close to the luminics pure blue color would be preferred. Not RICE blue but not straight white. A nice white with a cool blue hue. Also pics with your sugesstions would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-08 | 04:33 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

humm i have my parking's leds lights for about 1 year now and no problems at all.
Old 03-27-08 | 05:51 PM
Foodplz
Driver

My 2cents.

1. if they melted... its most probably not because of the DRLs... but when the highbeams were on. The thing gets pretty darn hot when those 9005s run at full power.

2. halogen bulbs burn out... thats just how they are. sometimes its the bulb... sometimes there might have been just a tad bit of oil on it from installation.

3. 8000k HIDs... its hard to get a good match using halogens... you are most probably best off going with the HID fogs... or the next time your bulbs burn out, you are gonna be upset your HID fog fund is going down the drain.
Old 03-27-08 | 05:55 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

2. i still have my luminics running great....
Old 03-27-08 | 06:12 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexXxus13
So I did a search and did not find what I was looking for... hopefully someone can help me out here.

1) I have the white 5 SMT led's installed for my city lights. I also have the luminics pure blue DRL's. I originally had blue SMT parking lights though (recently swapped for the white) and when I swapped them the led's were burnt and melted. I believe this was from the heat coming off the DRL's. Anyone else have this issue? I drive with my headlights on now all the time so my DRL's wont burn out the white LED's but I dont want to waste a ton of hours on my HID's (low beams) during the day either.
Do you use your hibeams alot?

2) I also have Luminics Pure Blue Fog Lights. Had them about 6 or 7 months and one just burnt out. WHATS THE DEAL!?!? Has anyone had problems with the luminics bulbs. I mean I know bulbs dont last forever but I was hoping for more than a year.
Did you wear laytex gloves when installing the bulb? did you touch the bulb ungloved before you installed?

3) I now have to replace the fogs due to number 2. I am looking for a bluish tint fog to match my 8000K HID's. Any suggestions? Something close to the luminics pure blue color would be preferred. Not RICE blue but not straight white. A nice white with a cool blue hue. Also pics with your sugesstions would be appreciated.
Sorry went for yellow, it avoids the matching problem AND im japanese, YELLOW POWER!!!
Old 03-27-08 | 07:37 PM
timucla
Driver

I swapped out my Luminics highs for Sylvania Silverstars because I was having an issue with my highbeams blowing fuses. The short life on the fog is probably due to inadvertantly touching the bulb during install. I used gloves otherwise I probably would've touched it.
Old 03-27-08 | 07:48 PM
lexXxus13
Driver

1)Dont use the high's very often so I dont know why the LED's were meltin.

2)I did not use the gloves on the install, but will next time. The fog's filament is in two pieces so thats why it went out. Hopefully wont happen again.

3) yea I want HID fogs and will get them eventually but looking for something more low cost right now.
can you guys post pics of your fog setups as examples, THANKS!

p.s. also thanks for all the help/input
Old 03-27-08 | 08:02 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

well i got led drls the same time i put in my led parking so... sorry no xp with melting.

always use laytex gloves from your 'murder kit' BEFORE you touch the bulbs.

click on MY CAR and you'll see my yellow noyka 2500k CHEEP bulbs.

Last edited by llamaboiz; 03-27-08 at 08:30 PM.