IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID install help.. ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 07:12 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID install help.. ASAP

I'm finally installing my 65k Xenon Depot HIDS.. I'm good on everything except putting the bulb into the headlight.. i spent the last hour trying to do the driver side.. my hands are all scratched up from trying it at every angle... the bulb just dosen't seem to stay.. or if i think i got it i wiggle it a bit to much sure it's tight and it gets lose and falls back down.

is there a secret method to doing this... i tried the pass side earlier too and it was a hassle just to do that.. i said F' IT!, and decided to do the driver side first only because it would be harder because of the space.

HELP ME! haha
Old 03-27-08, 07:16 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

I just can't seem to lock the bulb in place.. i even tried to get the stock bulb to redo that to see what i needed to do... on the pass side.. i can put the stock bulb in and lock it into place no problem.. but when i did try to use the HID bulb.. it seemed like it just kept turning...

now on the driver side.. i'm slowly turning it trying to find the right spot so i can lock it into place.. but it seems like ever a full 360 and i still can't find it
Old 03-27-08, 07:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i pulled this from another thread but my guess is you need to remove more stuff to allow yourself some room to work?? sorry i have done this. Search "hid install"

Now for the review:

Install was a snap. A few basic handtools is all that's required. I did have to take out the airbox to get to the passenger side housing and a 6" socket extension was very helpful here. Install took about 45 minutes taking my time. Once you do it once, you can do it in about 20 minutes.
(Note: when working with HID's, you ALWAYS want to remove the negative battery terminal.) I go a step further and leave one of the doors open so that there is no residual power left in the system. You can also pump the brakes a few times.)
Old 03-27-08, 07:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
I just can't seem to lock the bulb in place.. i even tried to get the stock bulb to redo that to see what i needed to do... on the pass side.. i can put the stock bulb in and lock it into place no problem.. but when i did try to use the HID bulb.. it seemed like it just kept turning...

now on the driver side.. i'm slowly turning it trying to find the right spot so i can lock it into place.. but it seems like ever a full 360 and i still can't find it
can you post a pic of the light/bulb? i changed HID in a BMW once and if i recall you have to insert it a specific way...there is like notches on it right?
Old 03-27-08, 07:20 PM
arksun
Driver

I think one of the "teeth" on the bulb is bigger than the other two.

What I did was, stuck my cellphone down there and took a picture as if I was looking at the hole dead on. Then I lined up the bulb according to the picture, put it in the hole, and started twisting, while applying a lot of pressure.

I found the passenger side to be no problems at all.
Old 03-27-08, 07:25 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you sure you got the h11 kit? are you sure your attepting the right lite housing? (meaning your not trying to intall the h11 kit into the 9005 hibeam housing)
Old 03-27-08, 07:28 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

yea.. it was 3 "teeth" 1 is wide and the other 2 are small.. i've lined it up a bunch of times and still no good.. i have a LED flash light i'm shining down there to see if it's right.. and it looks like it.

i wish i can see into the headlight from the outside
Old 03-27-08, 08:35 PM
rljs_IS250
Driver School Candidate

if its the right bulbs, it will work bro. i installed the XD 6000K kit not to long ago. took me a bit of time to get the bulbs in too, but just try to line it up and slowly twist while applying pressure, has to go in perfectly level and aligned. i have big hands so it was a tough, but i got it eventually. try again!
Old 03-27-08, 09:27 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rljs_IS250
if its the right bulbs, it will work bro. i installed the XD 6000K kit not to long ago. took me a bit of time to get the bulbs in too, but just try to line it up and slowly twist while applying pressure, has to go in perfectly level and aligned. i have big hands so it was a tough, but i got it eventually. try again!
I think I may just take it to a shop. My hands are red from hours of trying to get it right... I just gave up and put everything back to normal. I did get the stock bulb in on the driver side no problem, I tried it a few times with the stock bulb just so I could get a feel and everything. I can do the driver side stock bulb no problem, but still couldn't do it with the HID bulb. And when I put everything back to normal.. It was a piece of cake.

It just aint happening for me... It just pisses me off because I bought the kit back in DEC and didn't plan on putting it in until I had time, But I took a day off today to just to do it... I pretty much wasted a whole day for nothing.

I just didn't think it was going to be that bad just to do the bulb... At one point I just wanted to just throw everything up against the wall
Old 03-28-08, 07:38 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

when i installed the XD xtreme hid kit in my gf's scion tc (same h11 kit), i found that the rubber o-ring on the hid bulbs were huge compared to oem halogen o-rings. you need to line up the notches, and the push the bulb into the housing pretty hard first. you'll feel the bulb actually clicking in, and then you can turn to lock. gotta try a few times cause the fitment is pretty tight and all three tabs need to go in just right. theres really no point in paying somebody money to do this.
Old 03-28-08, 07:45 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take off your front bumper. makes things a WHOLE lot easier especially with mounting the ballasts
Old 03-31-08, 10:55 AM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

i'm just going to punk out and pay someone... my knuckles on both hands were red as if I got into a fight and I do have scabs on them... Maybe if I had more space to move my hand around it would be koo.. but F it...

I know if I had a kit for my 98 civic, I'd probably do everything in less than 30mins.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-31-08, 11:23 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
i'm just going to punk out and pay someone... my knuckles on both hands were red as if I got into a fight and I do have scabs on them... Maybe if I had more space to move my hand around it would be koo.. but F it...

I know if I had a kit for my 98 civic, I'd probably do everything in less than 30mins.

Thanks everyone
Yes, there is little room and it is very easy to skin your hands up working on this project, you are not alone.
Old 03-31-08, 11:33 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

I believe I saw a video install on Youtube for this. Try watching it, maybe that will help? Good luck