IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My car alarm went off for the first time the other day... did I overreact?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08 | 07:13 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Default My car alarm went off for the first time the other day... did I overreact?

So, I'd never heard what the car alarm sounded like until last Saturday. I was at my girlfriend's parent's house(she was home for two weeks for Spring Break), it was midnight, and I was just going to crash there for the night. I had my car parked out in front of their house in the driveway.

Just as I had my finger on the light switch to hit the sack, I hear a car alarm. For a few seconds, I just stood there, because I thought it was some other car down the street. But then I thought to myself "Wait... what if that's my car?" A few seconds later, my girlfriend's dad wakes up and is like "Uh, is that your car?" So I look out their window, but can't see the car. So I tell my girlfriend, who's up now, that I was going to check it out. Saftey-wise, I'm not sure that was a good idea, but I couldn't just stay inside and let my car get jacked. So I opened the front door, hit the unlock button on my key fob, and just waited there for a minute, listening for footsteps(I couldn't see the car from the doorway). I waited a minute more, then hit the lock button on the key fob to see if that triggered footsteps, but nothing.

So, I braved it and walked out there. I looked around, but no one was out there.

I came back into the house and told my girlfriend that I didn't feel comfortable leaving my car outside there the whole night, so I got in the car and drove it back to my place to keep it safe in the garage.

Was I overreating? I felt bad that I was peacing out like that, because she was going to the airport the next morning, so I had to drive back over really early.

But I guess my thinking was that I'd never, ever, heard my car alarm go off before. And the place I lived in before my current house, I had to park outside. I'd often see cats climbing up and napping on the car's roof or hood during the night, and that never set the alarm off. Also, while I was driving home, I noticed a fresh fingerprint on the driver's side door. The print looked like whoever made it was wearing golves, so it definitely wasn't me. That actually really freaked me out.

I did the right thing, right? It was probably someone trying to open the door?

Last edited by Reyngel; 03-29-08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-29-08 | 07:20 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

If I caught someone by my car I would rip them apart lol. Dont worry about it dude...im sure your girl understands.
Old 03-29-08 | 07:20 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Better to be safe than sorry. I would have been freaking out and probably done the same thing. I was at my brother's house for Easter, and I was freaking out when the neighbor kids were playing too close to my car. So in the middle of dinner, I left the table to go move it across the street.

IMO good call!
Old 03-29-08 | 07:28 PM
lexXxus13
Driver

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure. Dude, I would not have expected anything less. Good lookin out for the ride! Glad to hear everything worked out.

My $.02 - Woulda done the same thing. G/F would prolly make fun of me for it but overall a small price to pay to make sure the ride is OK.
Old 03-29-08 | 07:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Better safe than sorry.

It's not over-reacting. It's acting sensibly.

The alarm only goes off if someone tries to open the car. It seems that someone did try..
Old 03-29-08 | 07:47 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yes better safe then sorry.

But if my girlfriend was leaving the next morning and I left her house because of my CAR she would be PISSSED.

Hope your g/f understood you leaving cuz mine wouldnt. She hates my car,
Old 03-29-08 | 08:13 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

She was very understanding. Especially when I told her at the time that I was under the impression that the alarm only went off if someone was trying to open the door, which I guess is true. I had no where else to park the car because her parents had the garage filled with their cars. So it was either risk some thief breaking the windows, or deal with the alarm going off all night, pissing her parents and the neighbors off, everytime the thief tried to get in.

I drove over early in the morning and went with her to the airport. When we all left, her dad parked my car in their garage.
Old 03-29-08 | 08:24 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

I think you overreacted. But then again I am fairly confident when I scare people off because it is due to my laser sight on my M4 assualt rifle. I am fairly sure anybody who wasn't suicidal would never come close again, lol.
Old 03-29-08 | 10:59 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

you made a good decision. like someone said, better be safe than sorry. I'm always afraid parking on the street, afraid that someone evil will do anything bad to my car. also dont like to park next to a truck or big sized car/suv.

today just parked in a parking stucture , 2 spots empty side by side. take one of them, and an old corolla with a young lady driver take the other spot. she had hard time parking her car, finally parked her car not straight and one side leaning very close to my car.
i was like staring at the when she was parking making sure she didnt hit my car. i think she knew i was staring at her LOL. decided to leave the place earlier coz my heart doesnt feel right leaving my car like that. just afraid if she hits my car when backing out.
Old 03-29-08 | 11:05 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I would have gone out and parked it as close as possible to the house and then stay with my girlfriend. Either that or I am lying to myself...haha!
Old 03-30-08 | 09:52 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I would have moved the vehicle in a garage as well. It is possible that is was a simple glitch that activated the alarm with no-one around. This has been known to happen with factory alarms. Although rare, it is possible. Glad nothing happened to your vehicle, I can't stand thieves.
Old 03-30-08 | 10:19 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

you did the right thing...but i find this kind of funny, you might have shown to your gf that you love the car more than her lol touchy situation haha
Old 03-30-08 | 10:53 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaydee
you did the right thing...but i find this kind of funny, you might have shown to your gf that you love the car more than her lol touchy situation haha
Now how many CL members have been accused of this with the women (LOL)?
Old 03-30-08 | 11:16 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

I don't even think we have a shock detecting alarm dude..If you arm the car and start kicking the tires or shaking the car it doesn't go off. The only time it'll go off is if you break a window and try to manually unlock the car, right? Pretty useless alarm if you ask me. I'm not going to try it on my car because I hate the way our alarm reacts. It flashes the headlights on/off and it hurts the xenon ballasts when you do that..
Old 03-30-08 | 11:28 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

A similar thing happened to me at work.

I heard an alarm going off, thought it couldn't be mine, and was probably someone that hit their alarm by accident.

About 15 seconds later, I'm being asked if I have the blue lexus outside (which, BTW, all the looks now go to: oh, you drive a lexus). anyway, look outside, and sure enough my headlights are flashing.

Went outside, no evidence of anything. So, I just chalked it up to possibly having had something press the button on my key fob, as I found out that I could arm/disarm it from inside where I work.

Or, at least I hoped that's what happened. But, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Last edited by mikes rx; 03-30-08 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: My car alarm went off for the first time the other day... did I overreact?