IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front passenger door/glove box/NAV area rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 11:42 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front passenger door/glove box/NAV area rattle

either one of the three is making rattles almost everytime. i dont need to go over uneven roads, just normal smooth roads they are rattling. not sure where EXACTLY the rattle is, but my passenger said it's the nav area, but IMO it's the passenger door.

But to my suspect, it's the ipod kit that was recently installed. maybe the tech didnt install it right that cause the rattle?

ANYWAY, did anyone has this issue and HAS brought it to a dealer and HAVE IT FIXED? can share some experience here?

Damn, this annoys me so much..the noise is interfering with my Tanabe sound
Old 03-30-08, 05:44 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I get a squeak sound from the cheap plastic silver 'lip' around the bottom of the nav screen, rattles whenever anything is in my glovebox, and squeaks from the door gaskets moving against each other.

They might be able to put a piece of felt under the nav trim, I don't put anything in my glovebox anymore, and they definitely can adjust the door latch so that it closes tighter (and hopefully presses the gaskets together more closely).
Old 03-30-08, 10:05 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I get a squeak sound from the cheap plastic silver 'lip' around the bottom of the nav screen, rattles whenever anything is in my glovebox, and squeaks from the door gaskets moving against each other.

They might be able to put a piece of felt under the nav trim, I don't put anything in my glovebox anymore, and they definitely can adjust the door latch so that it closes tighter (and hopefully presses the gaskets together more closely).
did u take it to the dealer?
Old 03-30-08, 10:08 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with my TSIB, that cheap silver plastic lip around my radio (non-nav) and the upper vents creak, rattle and produce some other noises that may warrant an Old Priest and a Young Priest. No more dashes popping sounds though (LOL).
Old 03-30-08, 02:43 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

My car started to have a rattle on the passenger door with in the first month I had my car. I told the dealer to check it out at 1,000 mile service, but they claimed that they didn't hear it/couldn't find what I was talking about. It seems to only rattle when I have weight in the passenger seat (i.e. my dog, a person, my purse).
Old 03-30-08, 02:51 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Found The Rattle Source!!

i found out this morning what caused the rattle. it is the plastic cover under the glove box and under the SRS airbag cover. I found it one side of the cover is coming out and loose. it looks like it has been hit by my passenger's leg/knee.

even at idle, it sometimes rattle, so i suspect it is something loose, and yes it is I found it!!

MY QUestion is: If I bring it to the dealer, will it be fixed under warranty?Will the dealer say no coz it's considered wear and tear/my own fault?
Old 03-30-08, 03:02 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Not sure about under the glovebox, but the lowermost plastic shield under the steering wheel has a flat open piece in the middle with felt on it which sits on a metal 'hanger' under the wheel. This keeps the whole piece from rattling, and when unseated from the 'hanger' rattles like none other. Could be something like that...?
Old 03-30-08, 03:35 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

every car has rattles, most of mine are fixed, but the dealer didn't fix my door. and also now somewhere inside the dash rattles and i just had the dash kit installed. WTF i can never win.....and i just got the car back. sometimes i want to take a hammer to the dash just to make the annoying squeak go away because i hear it when i play music and most of the time over my music....annoying sometimes.
Old 03-30-08, 05:06 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
every car has rattles
Did Lexus pay you to say that?
Old 03-30-08, 11:08 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Not sure about under the glovebox, but the lowermost plastic shield under the steering wheel has a flat open piece in the middle with felt on it which sits on a metal 'hanger' under the wheel. This keeps the whole piece from rattling, and when unseated from the 'hanger' rattles like none other. Could be something like that...?
the metal hanger and the plastic thing are disconnected. looks like it got torn off by a passenger's item/leg

I hope dealer will fix this under warranty. Will they?