Tire Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 01:35 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Damage

2007 IS250 AWD. 10200 K. Tires: Dunlop SP Sport 5000M 225/45R17

Today I noticed that my right front tire has a bulge in the sidewall slightly larger than the size of a golf ball, protruding out about 1/2" or so, starting about an inch from the rim. Obviously this is a safety concern and needs to be taken care of ASAP. Lexus warranty says the tires are warranted by the manufacturer, so I took the car to the Goodyear dealer. Dealer says tires are not covered under warranty since I must have hit a pothole which caused belt to snap, creating the bulge. I live in Buffalo so there are a lot of potholes, but I do not remember hitting one so hard that this damage would occur. There is no rim damage or gouges on the tire, BTW. Replacement cost is $201 + tax. I don't know how the tire dealer can determine that this road hazard damage and not a defective tire without actually taking the tire off the rim.

I think I should be able to have this tire replaced under warranty. Since it's Sunday and my Lexus dealership is closed I have no idea whether or not they will assist me in this. I know they do sell tires there, but they are not specifically a tire retailer - I think they just pick up their tires at a tire warehouse and charge premium Lexus prices for them.

What are my best options? I really don't want to drive 15 miles to the Lexus dealership and risk ruining the rim if the tire blows (the Goodyear dealer is literally right around the corner), but I don't know if they would replace the tire for free.

Does anyone here have any experience getting a tire replaced under warranty? Was it from the Lexus dealer or the tire shop? Any difficulties getting satisfaction?

Finally, how unsafe is driving the car with this tire? If I stay off the expressway and keep it slow should I be okay until I can get it taken care of?
Old 03-30-08, 02:19 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This kind of damage is outside of the warranty, so you'll have to pay for it. This is a problem with very low profile tires. They look cool but give fairly low protection against damage like this.
Old 03-30-08, 02:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Unless you have road hazard protection coverage on your tires, it's unlikely your dealer will cover this -- and if he does it's good will. Like Evitzee said, sidewall bubbles from potholes are very common on low profile tires.
Old 03-30-08, 02:44 PM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Unless you have road hazard protection coverage on your tires, it's unlikely your dealer will cover this -- and if he does it's good will. Like Evitzee said, sidewall bubbles from potholes are very common on low profile tires.
Excuse my ignorance, but how does the tire dealer determine what exactly caused the tire failure? Isn't it just an easy cop out for the dealer to say "road hazard" and then refuse to warranty the tire? If he can get $200 out of me for replacing the tire but only half that from the manufacturer under warranty, what's his motivation for even trying to help me out?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think that hitting a pothole so hard as to cause tire damage would also cause damage to the rim (of which I have none). Why would a tire manufacturer knowingly make a tire that is not capable of standing up to smaller potholes, especially if it were manufactured for an AWD vehicle which is likely to be sold in a snowy, pothole-producing environment? It's bad enough that these tires are only designed to last 20,000 miles or so...

This is the second Lexus I've purchased from the dealer. Hopefully there is some good will on their part.
Old 03-30-08, 03:58 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

correct me if i am wrong about road hazard protection, the protection covers anything from running over nails, curb blowouts, pothole damage........or anything that causes the tire to fail. That is why you pay a % of your tire for the protection in case something like this happens. A dealer also has to honor the road hazard if you BOUGHT it from them. When I first bought my car, I took it the Discount Tire and purchased the road hazard from them even though the tires weren't theirs (they didn't even inspect my tires). You might want to try that, and as for the safety issue, I ran on a bubbled tire for over 20000 before I replaced it when worn. Its all up to you
Old 03-30-08, 04:32 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

you can purchase the road hazard warranty from disc. tire center even if you dun purchase from them?? ohh i want one....
Old 03-30-08, 04:52 PM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
and as for the safety issue, I ran on a bubbled tire for over 20000 before I replaced it when worn. Its all up to you
The bubble certainly LOOKS like a safety hazard. The tire dealer even suggested I replace the damaged tire with the donut spare until I see the Lexus dealer. I think I'm going to get the tire replaced regardless. Might even pick up the road hazard warranty, even though I think it's a scam. IMHO, properly mounted, balanced tires should be built well enough to withstand normal road conditions. In the Northeast, potholed roads are normal in early spring. I'm not saying a tire should be able to handle going over a pothole the size of a Buick, but small potholes at reasonable speeds, yes... I really don't want to hear the excuse/explanation about the sidewalls being weak. Make the tire better, then, especially if you're going to charge me 200 bucks a pop to replace them.
Old 03-30-08, 05:39 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a bubbled tire can be more susceptible to blow out.

Bubbles sometimes just happen, doesn't have to be a particularly big pothole.....and no, it isn't a warranty issue unless you have a road hazard tire warranty.
Old 03-30-08, 08:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Bubbles on the sidewall are usually from kerb/pothole damage but there would be other evidence of this (eg damage on both sides of the tire), as a rule. I think they need to prove to you that it isn't a defect, not the other way around.

If it's a defect, the tire manufacturer is the person to replace the tire. If it was road hazard, you're out of luck as new cars don't come with road hazard warranties.
Old 03-30-08, 09:18 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jetman
Excuse my ignorance, but how does the tire dealer determine what exactly caused the tire failure? Isn't it just an easy cop out for the dealer to say "road hazard" and then refuse to warranty the tire? If he can get $200 out of me for replacing the tire but only half that from the manufacturer under warranty, what's his motivation for even trying to help me out?
According to a Tire Rack technical article, their experience shows that bubbles due to manufacturing defects almost always show up during the first six months of service.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think that hitting a pothole so hard as to cause tire damage would also cause damage to the rim (of which I have none).
Not true with a low profile tire. Over the course of my driving career I've had three sidewall bubbles, all on low profile rubber, only one of which was accompanied by rim damage.

Why would a tire manufacturer knowingly make a tire that is not capable of standing up to smaller potholes, especially if it were manufactured for an AWD vehicle which is likely to be sold in a snowy, pothole-producing environment?
Low profile tires have a rougher ride and are more susceptible to damage from potholes -- it's the nature of the beast. The ideal tire for snowy pothole covered roads would be tall and narrow, but Lexus chose low profile rubber for cornering and handling.

This is the second Lexus I've purchased from the dealer. Hopefully there is some good will on their part.
Good luck.
Old 03-30-08, 09:47 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

so is it possible to buy Discount Tire's road hazard warranty even if you dun buy the tires from them???
Old 03-30-08, 10:38 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
so is it possible to buy Discount Tire's road hazard warranty even if you dun buy the tires from them???
I would think that as long as the tire was like new, they wouldn't care.....It's pure profit for them anyway.
Old 03-30-08, 10:41 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

most of the time the dealer would not replace the tires......dont waste your time for that....

just replace the tire and get the road hazard warranty for the new tire....