IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tire for both the street anwhat the best d the drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 07:45 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You question was already answered in your other thread about running this profile at the strip. I already told you that any decent 275/30/19 is going to grip at the track like you wouldn't believe. You are going to the same track I go to, and live in the same area. my 2nd best time was with my 19's which like you are the same diameter. The only difference is that my 275/30/19 w/tires actually weighs more than my stock setup. Yes my volks are light, but when you go from a 255 to a 275 you are adding a lot of rubber. That rubber makes up the weight difference. Any decent (toyo/mich/etc) is going to be hard for you to break loose unless you are brake torquing like at 3000 rpm. I already said to start off at 1500 and go up from there.

I go with my stock tires because I don't feel like ripping up the tread on my good expensive 19".

Caymandive is right about having the weight of the tire further away from the hub, but your new wheels will be lighter as you stated. 19" 275 toyo/mich/etc all weigh about 25-26lbs. Add that to what your wheel actually weighs and compare that vs. your stock.

You need to worry less about either tire you are going to be running and more about the weather.

To answer your original question, if you can break your decent/good brand tires lose without brake torquing real high out at ennis, then you have a crazy powerful IS. Remember there is a layer of rubber all over that track along with left over VHT. I am guessing you might not have ever drag'd your car. It's so sticky out there that as you are rolling up to the tree you literally hear and feel your tires sticking and peeling off the track.

buy the tires that you want for your car, and don't worry about them gripping at the drag strip.

If you were really **** about it, screw all the above, and get you the lightest 17" rims you can find, with some r compound or DR tires that are low profile.

Wear your stock tires out, save your 19's for daily driving. Be safe, wear your helmet, pay attention, watch a few rounds first to see how it's done.
Old 03-31-08, 07:47 PM
ngogsr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm im hoping youre making good pwr to be drag racing on 19s
Old 03-31-08, 08:39 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
You question was already answered in your other thread about running this profile at the strip. I already told you that any decent 275/30/19 is going to grip at the track like you wouldn't believe. You are going to the same track I go to, and live in the same area. my 2nd best time was with my 19's which like you are the same diameter. The only difference is that my 275/30/19 w/tires actually weighs more than my stock setup. Yes my volks are light, but when you go from a 255 to a 275 you are adding a lot of rubber. That rubber makes up the weight difference. Any decent (toyo/mich/etc) is going to be hard for you to break loose unless you are brake torquing like at 3000 rpm. I already said to start off at 1500 and go up from there.

I go with my stock tires because I don't feel like ripping up the tread on my good expensive 19".

Caymandive is right about having the weight of the tire further away from the hub, but your new wheels will be lighter as you stated. 19" 275 toyo/mich/etc all weigh about 25-26lbs. Add that to what your wheel actually weighs and compare that vs. your stock.

You need to worry less about either tire you are going to be running and more about the weather.

To answer your original question, if you can break your decent/good brand tires lose without brake torquing real high out at ennis, then you have a crazy powerful IS. Remember there is a layer of rubber all over that track along with left over VHT. I am guessing you might not have ever drag'd your car. It's so sticky out there that as you are rolling up to the tree you literally hear and feel your tires sticking and peeling off the track.

buy the tires that you want for your car, and don't worry about them gripping at the drag strip.

If you were really **** about it, screw all the above, and get you the lightest 17" rims you can find, with some r compound or DR tires that are low profile.

Wear your stock tires out, save your 19's for daily driving. Be safe, wear your helmet, pay attention, watch a few rounds first to see how it's done.
alright well thanks man.. i havent been to ennis yet.. but the strip i went to in bama.. it has very hard for me to get traction.. probably bc it was all extremely fast cars using the water pit and i was slipping everywhere from the water they left behind.. but im excited to goto ennis when i come back to dallas for the summer.. thanks for the help

i ran a 10 second 1/8th miles my second time to go down.. just from brake torquing at 1500.. i spun through 60 mph.. lol