IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what to get done at 30,000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 09:14 AM
cm09578
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to get done at 30,000 mile service?

thanks for the input!
Old 04-02-08, 09:27 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Engine Oil Change
Cabin Pollen Filter
Engine Air Filter

That's it!

Dont get anything else done especially those "visual checks".
Old 04-02-08, 09:31 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Engine Oil Change
Cabin Pollen Filter
Engine Air Filter

That's it!

Dont get anything else done especially those "visual checks".
+1, that is exactly all you need to get done!!!!
Old 04-02-08, 01:45 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

How about brake fluid flush?
Old 04-02-08, 02:04 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
How about brake fluid flush?
45k is a good time for this, but I want to let everyone know that when I paid $120 for this on my gen 1 4 years ago, they do not bleed the brakes on all four calipers. Basically all they did was suck the fluid out of the master cylinder and I was lied to. I was told three times prior to the service that they bleed all 4 wheels. I watched the tech perfomr this and was told by freinds at other dealers that they just suck the old fluid out. I do believe all dealers do the same method as it is a universal hand held pump. You can basically suck the fluid out with a wet-vac or pump out with an old bottle of a cleaner. Just make sure to completely rid the bottle and trigger of any contaminates. You can perfom yourself in 5 minutes for $4 (cost of dot 3).
Old 04-02-08, 02:42 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good info!!! My wife got sucked into a bunch of unneeded work on her Accord during the last oil change.

What about the 20K service on my IS350. Oil change only, I would assume. Anything else? BTW, dealer owes me the oil change for free (bought CPO with 15k on it and first oil change is free). I just know they will try to upsell me.
Old 04-02-08, 02:52 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by njmurvin
Good info!!! My wife got sucked into a bunch of unneeded work on her Accord during the last oil change.

What about the 20K service on my IS350. Oil change only, I would assume. Anything else? BTW, dealer owes me the oil change for free (bought CPO with 15k on it and first oil change is free). I just know they will try to upsell me.
Rear diff oil needs changing at 20k too.
Old 04-02-08, 03:35 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Rear diff oil needs changing at 20k too.
Really??? Service manual doesn't specify this until 60k. Why so early?
Old 04-02-08, 11:34 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I highly doubt the rear diff fluid needs to be changed out at 20k
Old 04-03-08, 12:20 AM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for letting me know im due for my 30k service on the 19th of this month and they want $425.00 for the service.. plus i have to pay for a rental.
Old 04-03-08, 01:47 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by njmurvin
Really??? Service manual doesn't specify this until 60k. Why so early?
I don't know - I'm looking at my Lexus manual now and it clearly states - 20k replace rear differential oil. I've also got my two 20k Lexus service sheets (the tick sheets they give you when you pick up your car from the service dept) and they confirm replace rear differential oil.
Old 04-03-08, 06:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know - I'm looking at my Lexus manual now and it clearly states - 20k replace rear differential oil. I've also got my two 20k Lexus service sheets (the tick sheets they give you when you pick up your car from the service dept) and they confirm replace rear differential oil.
Incorrect-

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/servi...intenance.html

Scheduled maint. is on the right in a PDF.

At 20k the only items are:

Oil change, rotate tires (not on staggered), check brakes, road test vehicle.

That's it.

There's some visual checks added if you drive on dirty roads. Zero about the differential.

At 30k they -check- the differential oil, they still don't change it.

Diff oil is inspected again at 45k, not replaced.

Inspected again at 60k, not replaced.

Inspected again at 75k, not replaced.

Inspected again at 90k, not replaced.

and so on, every 15k (starting at 15k) You check the fluid.

At no point in the entire life of the scheduled maintenance do you replace it unless they find something wrong with it.

EDIT- just noticed the poster is in the UK, if he has a 220d or something it's possible they have a different maint. schedule than in the US... but the person asking the original question is in the US so what I posted would be what they should go by.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-03-08 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 08:11 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Incorrect-

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/servi...intenance.html

Scheduled maint. is on the right in a PDF.

At 20k the only items are:

Oil change, rotate tires (not on staggered), check brakes, road test vehicle.

That's it.

There's some visual checks added if you drive on dirty roads. Zero about the differential.

At 30k they -check- the differential oil, they still don't change it.

Diff oil is inspected again at 45k, not replaced.

Inspected again at 60k, not replaced.

Inspected again at 75k, not replaced.

Inspected again at 90k, not replaced.

and so on, every 15k (starting at 15k) You check the fluid.

At no point in the entire life of the scheduled maintenance do you replace it unless they find something wrong with it.

EDIT- just noticed the poster is in the UK, if he has a 220d or something it's possible they have a different maint. schedule than in the US... but the person asking the original question is in the US so what I posted would be what they should go by.
Actually I have an IS250 RWD Auto. Anyway, I have my service and warranty booklet here and in Europe we have two types of service:

1. Intermediate service which is carried out every 10k miles or 1 year and is basically an oil and filter change plus general look over.

2. A full service which is carried out every 20k or 2 years miles and includes the above plus changing the rear diff oil and aircon filter, as well as brake fluid. The diff oil is then drained and refilled every 20 k miles.

I find it strange that Lexus Europe want the diff oil changed every 20k miles and Lexus USA say don't ever change it?
Old 04-03-08, 08:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually I have an IS250 RWD Auto. Anyway, I have my service and warranty booklet here and in Europe we have two types of service:

1. Intermediate service which is carried out every 10k miles or 1 year and is basically an oil and filter change plus general look over.

2. A full service which is carried out every 20k or 2 years miles and includes the above plus changing the rear diff oil and aircon filter, as well as brake fluid. The diff oil is then drained and refilled every 20 k miles.

I find it strange that Lexus Europe want the diff oil changed every 20k miles and Lexus USA say don't ever change it?
Weird indeed. Your engine oil intervals are twice as long as in the US too (where it is recommended every 6 months or 5k miles). I wonder if they use the same fluids for engine oil and the diff here as there.
Old 04-03-08, 09:21 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Weird indeed. Your engine oil intervals are twice as long as in the US too (where it is recommended every 6 months or 5k miles). I wonder if they use the same fluids for engine oil and the diff here as there.
As far as I'm aware the oils used are the same, certainly the specs quoted are identical. Lexus say you can use ordinary mineral oil but most places use Shell Helix semi-synth. I checked my last invoice and they charged me under $10 for the new diff oil so it's no great expense - obviously there's a bit of labour to go on top of that.

5k oil changes disappeared from most manufacturers' schedules in Europe in the early 90s as oil and filter technology improved. Lexus sticks with 10k changes while most others have moved out to 12-15k or longer intervals. In the US there is a culture of shorter intervals heavily propmoted by the oil companies. Dealers also put pressure onto manufacturers not to move out to longer intervals as it would effectively half the amount of servicing work they get with a knock on impact on profits. It'd drive me mad having to go back to the dealer every 5k.

My last Audi had an oil condition monitor in the sump and with longlife oils only had 3 dealership visits in 70k.

Last edited by Big Andy; 04-03-08 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: what to get done at 30,000 mile service?