IS250 6MT lunges when revs drop around idle RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 10:18 AM
tyks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 6MT lunges when revs drop around idle RPM

Hey everyone,

Just wanted some input from other 6MT drivers, whether or not this is common or not.

Anyways, this seemed to come up when the temps are cold (say 0C and under), and of course the car is cold as well (when the car is warm it doesn't happen as apparently but I can still feel it at times).

Basically if I'm driving along and see a red light in front, I'm in 3rd gear lets say and just let the car rev down as the car slows. I don't shift to neutral, nor do I down shift.

When I hit around 1500rpm, (say when the car is cold that's around where the idle revs are at), I get this sudden jolt forward for about a split second, as if I stepped on the throttle for a small bit but my foot is completely off the gas. This happens if I'm coasting down, or if I'm on the brakes.

Tech guy I spoke with said that this is normal, because the engine doesn't have enough revs, and does that, but it seems too awkward to be 'normal behavior'.

Anyways, if anyone who has a 6MT (or any manual car and has driven it in the winter) can shed some light on this that'll be great, whether or not its normal etc.

Thanks!

Terrence
Old 04-03-08, 10:24 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No problem for me so far.... (but in SF it's heardly 0C and under...... ) LOL
Old 04-03-08, 10:25 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have had the same thing several times. Its automatic though. Its was colder out but not necessarily really cold. What i would find is car in drive not giving gas the car wanted to take off. Put car in Neutral and the rpms where normal?? made no sense. once back in Drive the car wanted to take off...havent hand any issues in a while but to me its tranny related and i fear, after reading a few threads and past personal experience, that my tranny is going to take a dump on me. I would like to hear what others have to say and please do keep me posted if you find anything more out thru PM. I will do the same for you!

Thanks,
Old 04-09-08, 10:21 PM
Rividsoul
Rookie

I've experience the same thing before, not sure if it's normal..
When slowing down in 2nd/3rd gear, the rev kind of blips very slightly around 1500 rpm
Old 04-09-08, 10:27 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
i have had the same thing several times. Its automatic though. Its was colder out but not necessarily really cold. What i would find is car in drive not giving gas the car wanted to take off. Put car in Neutral and the rpms where normal?? made no sense. once back in Drive the car wanted to take off...havent hand any issues in a while but to me its tranny related and i fear, after reading a few threads and past personal experience, that my tranny is going to take a dump on me. I would like to hear what others have to say and please do keep me posted if you find anything more out thru PM. I will do the same for you!

Thanks,
This is not 6MT related.

But I know what you are talking about. When it's cold (For So Cal it's like 40s), car is not at normal operating temperature, when I drive and come to a stop, I notice the RPM's are kinda high and the car will take off on it's own if I'm not on the brakes. When I AM on the brakes, You can feel resistance and the car wants to go. I actually just let the car drive itself in a neighborhood street just to see this behavior. Granted it was less then 5mph, but still.

Also, it does not do this every single time. Maybe only 3 times ever since I owned it.
Old 04-09-08, 10:29 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's normal..it's just the engine turning the injectors on after being off-throttle..because when you don't have your foot on the pedal the motor obviously doesn't need fuel so it'll shut off the injectors, but when it gets to a certain threshold which on our cars is around 1200-1400 rpm or so it'll kick start the injectors and that may be the slight "kick" you are feeling. Some cars make it more seamless than others, ours is just a bit more noticeable.
Old 04-14-08, 12:10 PM
sailing217
Pole Position

It's normal as said. Your car is cold. You are "pulling the engine" is what I was told. A cold engine will idle about 1500 rpm. If you go below it, the car is driving on the engine idling and the computer blips the rpm back to 1500 and causes the lurch.
If you push in your clutch and the rpms fall to 3-600 rpm and the tach bounces, then your idle is set too low. Happened on my old toyota, I think it's computer controlled on my IS MT.
Old 04-14-08, 03:45 PM
06LexIS
Driver

Is due to the ECU cold map settings @ start up. Normally this is done to heat up engine/cat converter by adding extra fuel, air(opening throttle to a set position 1200-1500rpm's), once motor reaches normal operating temps Rpm's drop and your car is back to normal as the ECU switches maps from cold to normal. The ECU is taking it's input from the engine coolant sensor/throttle positioning sensor and the list goes on.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-08, 10:15 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

havent ran into anything like you have. sorry, but i always warm up my car for about 3-5 min