IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is 250 More Power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 05:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look, honestly, if you want 'power' dont buy a is250, there are other brands that will give you your 'maunal' requirements. If your looking for a 'sports sedan' you dont go walking into a lexus dealership in the first place right? 200hp in a 3.4-3.6k lb car = nothing your looking for. Whatever the magazines say, 0-60 in 7.8ish sec, then add the aftermarket parts for 0-60 in 7.6 sec, wow 'pulls so hard'...umm, no Even the 350 doesnt 'feel' fast due to the isolation.

NOW if you want a good mileage daily with lexus quality/reliability build, very sexy shape, vip style potential, way better int. than the DTM cars in the same and even higher price range, then the is250 is the way to go.

*there is no chip for our cars reguardless of what you see on ebay*

Last edited by llamaboiz; 04-03-08 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-03-08, 06:07 PM
racingt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '08 IS250..for 3 mos. I got tired of having to wait for useable power to be delivered as the the transmission had to downshift a couple of gears and the engine had to be above 4K rpms to move the car, by that time it was to late to use it.

I traded it in for an '08 IS350 a month ago and couldn't be happier, think about going quicker and it does, no waiting.

BTW, I had an '07 335i and I like my Lexus better.
Old 04-03-08, 06:20 PM
grmpwr
Driver School Candidate

racingt... thats exactly what i was scared of.. waiting for power to build.. and its complety useless by the time you get it there.. because youre out of space... well def the is250 is gonna be just a cruiser. good mpg, and reliable, and cheaper to operate then a german car... just use my M for fun factor.. i am sure the IS will be fun.. just gotta carry more momentum... why did you get rid of the 335i.. thats a beast with a chip...
Old 04-03-08, 07:38 PM
racingt
Rookie

Originally Posted by grmpwr
racingt... thats exactly what i was scared of.. waiting for power to build.. and its complety useless by the time you get it there.. because youre out of space... well def the is250 is gonna be just a cruiser. good mpg, and reliable, and cheaper to operate then a german car... just use my M for fun factor.. i am sure the IS will be fun.. just gotta carry more momentum... why did you get rid of the 335i.. thats a beast with a chip...
I got rid of the 335i, for a few reasons. I wasn't to keen on replacing turbo systems after the warranty expired (very costly), or any system for that matter - the engine is under-developed for the power it is making - I have a strong feeling it will not hold up for 100K+ miles without replacing alot of parts - consider I had to get a band-aid oil cooler retrofitted by the factory as a start, the aluminum block inline six is torsionally week -it may duty-cycle quickly, and cylinders 5-6 are known to run hot. The cars a problem waiting to happen in the long run It was the largest car I had at the time and I needed a car with more room, thus the ES350 acquisition. I got rid of a Honda Civic for the IS. The IS350 makes plenty of power, in a simple way, and as an engineer I'm going to stay with the keep it simple stupid way.
Old 04-03-08, 08:39 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to drive an IS250 MT before you buy it. To be sure its what you are looking for.

I drive my cousins IS250 every once in a while. It feels peppy around the city. But when you punch the gas... it feels.... the same? Its difficult to explain.

Its luxurious... but still its lacking in the power department. I think your best gains will come from lightening the car... if you can. Its awefully heavy for its power
Old 04-03-08, 09:33 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

If you're looking for a manual transmission + Japanese + RWD and also want power, might I suggest the G35?
Old 04-03-08, 09:40 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I would try to drive an IS250 MT before you buy it. To be sure its what you are looking for.
I absolutely second that, and drive it for as long as the dealership will let you.

Originally Posted by tqlla3k

I drive my cousins IS250 every once in a while. It feels peppy around the city. But when you punch the gas... it feels.... the same? Its difficult to explain.

Its luxurious... but still its lacking in the power department. I think your best gains will come from lightening the car... if you can. Its awefully heavy for its power
I think you've described it well....it's not that the 6MT version is necessarily slow, it's just that....it's not eager. It doesn't WANT to be driven with any sort of enthusiasm. Add to that the long-travel/short engagement clutch and long, notchy, and sloppy shifter throws, and the whole package just fails to be engaging.
Old 04-03-08, 09:41 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this may sound stupid but... have you considered a caddy CTS... dont put it off untill you go and sit in the car itself, its as good as the mags make it out to be, at least initially from seeing/sitting in it myself. The int is on par with a new TL-S.
Old 04-03-08, 10:04 PM
grmpwr
Driver School Candidate

Well my friends got a g35.. looks very nice but when i drove it.. it was boring.. and the MT was horriable on it... notchy,clunky, german cars have such smooth, clutch and tranny. i was thinking about the g37.. but then i said why.. i got an M for fun.. i need a 4dr, good on gas, reliable... and must say the IS looks very nice... i just wish it had 50hp more.. i would sacrifice a little on gas say 25mpg from 28...i guess i just have to accept the car for what it is.. a good solid, reliable, with a good value to it.. so it will be a little boring, but at least i will look good doing it.... i like the cadilac cts.. not a fan of american vehicles unless its a tahoe,escalede suv.. reslae values suck on it.. one american car i def will put into my collection is a chevy ZO6... i guess i will have to do some weight reduction. to make it a little quicker....
Old 04-04-08, 06:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well my friends got a g35.. looks very nice but when i drove it.. it was boring.. and the MT was horriable on it... notchy,clunky, german cars have such smooth, clutch and tranny. i was thinking about the g37.. but then i said why.. i got an M for fun.. i need a 4dr, good on gas, reliable... and must say the IS looks very nice... i just wish it had 50hp more.. i would sacrifice a little on gas say 25mpg from 28...i guess i just have to accept the car for what it is.. a good solid, reliable, with a good value to it.. so it will be a little boring, but at least i will look good doing it.... i like the cadilac cts.. not a fan of american vehicles unless its a tahoe,escalede suv.. reslae values suck on it.. one american car i def will put into my collection is a chevy ZO6... i guess i will have to do some weight reduction. to make it a little quicker....
If you think the G35 manual sucks you haven't driven a 250 yet.

It's the most criticized manual I've seen in recent years from a "quality" car company

If you don't mind losing 2-3 mpg just get the 350. No manual, boo hoo... the auto is faster anyway. You don't shift as well as the computer does.
Old 04-04-08, 07:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Heck, in CT, get a G35x--ok, no manual, but you said it sucks, not as good gas mileage (but this can't really be that much of a concern if you are getting the M3); but, its got the 4dr, 306 hp, and AWD for CT winters.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-04-08 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 07:54 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all comes down to a thorough test drive of the 250 RWD 6MT and the 350 AT. You are buying the car, so you make the formal decision. I would make a list of the prime factors that would justify this vehicles purchase. You be the judge, after all, you are paying for it.
Old 04-04-08, 09:14 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

and the MT was horriable on it... notchy,clunky, german cars have such smooth, clutch and tranny...
To be brutally honest, if you are looking for a smooth clutch and transmission, you will NOT find it in the IS250 6MT. The 6MT in the IS is adapted from the transmission in the Tacoma, with all that implies.

i guess i just have to accept the car for what it is.. a good solid, reliable, with a good value to it.. so it will be a little boring, but at least i will look good doing it....
I had my entire clutch assembly replaced under warranty at 1403 miles, and other people here have had their entire transmission replaced. Almost everyone complains of grinding or notchy shifting.

My apologies if it appears that I'm trying to discourage you, but it seems that what you are looking for is not what this car offers.
Old 04-04-08, 09:15 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want MPG, get 250

If you want HP, get 350

I dont have any "not enough power" issues commuting with my 6MT.......
Old 04-04-08, 09:39 AM
grmpwr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, appricate your honest opinion... i would rather driver a notchy tranny then an auto.. i dont care how fast it shifts... auto are just too boring for me.. maybe when i am older i will change my mind.. but a MT i feel your in better control of the cars behavior. i had a tacoma in college i know exactly what your talking about.. i am sure the car will be fine. just wish we had a little more aftermarket performance parts avaliable.. headers seems to be the best value and most gain.. is that 20hp to the crank? not WHP.. love to see a dyno before and after to see the TQ/HP curves...

Quick Reply: Is 250 More Power?