IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Daytime Running Headlights - dealer won't turn them off

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 04:59 PM
kainoa67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Headlights - dealer won't turn them off

How do I convince the dealer to turn these off? I go in on Saturday for the first check up and my LPS. I've asked if they are able to turn these off and they said no because its a safety feature. It is not required by law here in Oregon to have them, so I want these off.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there any other way to turn these off besides the dealers?

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-03-08, 05:02 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not required by federal or state law you can turn them off. I know it isnt a law in Cali. Only in canada are they required. Tell them another friend has the same car a couple months ago had them turned off at the same dealership. good luck
Old 04-03-08, 05:39 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Tell them that it isn't required by law....so either they turn them off, or you go to another dealer for all service and maintenance.
Old 04-03-08, 05:40 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Read this thread HERE for all your LED drl type questions, read ALL posts.
Old 04-03-08, 05:40 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you do a search for your question. Find the pdf with the Lexus Personalized settings. (or ask them to print one off) then take that up there and tell them it's part of the LPS.

Also, you can ask them why they refuse to not do something that is a Lexus Personalized setting.
Old 04-03-08, 05:51 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
Why don't you do a search for your question. Find the pdf with the Lexus Personalized settings. (or ask them to print one off) then take that up there and tell them it's part of the LPS.

Also, you can ask them why they refuse to not do something that is a Lexus Personalized setting.
last I checked I havent seen that disable option on the standard LPS sheet. I would just asked to talk to the tech before he does anything and tell him to turn it off. The SA are usually more reluctant to do tell them to do it...but the techs don't care.
Old 04-03-08, 07:46 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Regardless of what everybody is saying a dealer does NOT have to turn them off at your request if they don't want to. Whether they are required or not isn't the issue; Lexus regards them as a safety issue which in our litiguous society can spell potential trouble if defeated. Print out the complete option list, which includes the DRL OFF function, and use that document to make all your selections. If they balk just be firm and tell them you want them done. But don't be surprised if they say NO. You can threaten them but that probably won't make them change their mind. Some dealers are more flexible than others, so be prepared to go somewhere else if they are firm in their refusal.
Old 04-03-08, 08:53 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LPS is LPS. There is no law that states they must be on. This has been beat to death.

Here's a link to lexus own pdf for the LPS. Page 4 of 7 drl on or off.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1168127018
Old 04-03-08, 09:03 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks tell them your a club lexus member..
Old 04-03-08, 10:48 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

I heard a story of a family that backed over their own child playing in the driveway. They were suing lexus for not making the back-up camera a standard feature on their car. In light of that I can understand if a dealership doesn't want to turn off DRL even at the owners request.
Old 04-04-08, 12:14 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by i3urton
wow that sucks tell them your a club lexus member..
ROFL... yep tell them your a CL member then they'll take out a bottle of DP, dancing girls, and they'll wash your feet for you
Old 04-04-08, 04:25 AM
canadaIS
Driver School Candidate

Why would you want to turn off a safety feature?? That makes NO SENSE.
Old 04-04-08, 05:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kainoa67
How do I convince the dealer to turn these off? I go in on Saturday for the first check up and my LPS. I've asked if they are able to turn these off and they said no because its a safety feature. It is not required by law here in Oregon to have them, so I want these off.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there any other way to turn these off besides the dealers?

Thanks for your input.
Not all automakers make their cars with DRL's--how can it be state law??
Old 04-04-08, 05:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sykocus
I heard a story of a family that backed over their own child playing in the driveway. They were suing lexus for not making the back-up camera a standard feature on their car. In light of that I can understand if a dealership doesn't want to turn off DRL even at the owners request.
There was a suit a few years ago against Infiniti re a QX56--I hope this is just whisper down the lane of the same suit, and not a trend...
Old 04-04-08, 05:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter

DRL's are NOT an LPS. The LPS are the single sheet of 13 (?) items, not that 6 or 7 page list that has been circulating. DRLs are just something that CAN be adjusted.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Headlights - dealer won't turn them off