IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ugh first flat today, need replacement tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 06:54 PM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh first flat today, need replacement tire

So I was leaving my friends apartment today and their doing construction across the street. I made a u turn and no less then 5 seconds after the turn my Low air tire goes off.
I pulled off the road with my friend and I've never heard air come out of a tire that fast, there's about a keysized hole right in the middle of my wheel. I hoped back in my car and made it back to my friend's apt before I was completely out. Now hopefully discount tire can fix it since it's not in the sidewall. If I do have to buy a new tire though what's a good brand that you would recommend? or should i just keep the same tire.
It's my rear driver side tire, its a 255/40/18.

Last edited by iameric; 04-04-08 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 07:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as long as you didnt damage the side wall Discount will patch that for FREE! IF they are no good then i say go with a nice sticky tire. a nice set of PS2's would work well in your area. Depends on how you drive the car...there are plenty of better tires then what we had for OEM. Hope they can fix it for you!
Old 04-04-08, 07:27 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

sucks.....

hope they can fix it....
Old 04-04-08, 08:58 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Go to Lexus Dealership and ask for tire fix.. I think they wont charge u for fix flat..
Old 04-05-08, 10:30 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VIS250P
Go to Lexus Dealership and ask for tire fix.. I think they wont charge u for fix flat..
That would be nice for a Lexus dealership to do that, but unfortunately they do charge, at least the dealership I work at does, and the price may vary depending on the dealership. I don't know how it may be at the dealership close to you, worth a shot to try.
Old 04-05-08, 05:00 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discount tire will get the job done.
Old 04-06-08, 04:05 AM
iameric
Driver

So I took my car to discount, they were great and real nice about everything. Apparently my tires are about to go, I only have 13k miles on them tho The new set is probably going to run around $1.2k. I was considering the Bridgestone Potenzas but the treadwear is only 140 and these Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season have a treadwear of 420... thoughts?
Old 04-06-08, 08:21 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iameric
So I took my car to discount, they were great and real nice about everything. Apparently my tires are about to go, I only have 13k miles on them tho The new set is probably going to run around $1.2k. I was considering the Bridgestone Potenzas but the treadwear is only 140 and these Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season have a treadwear of 420... thoughts?
both are good tires. do you need an all season tire in your arear? If so i would go with the Pilot Sports (all season). my thoughts for you for the same $$ are the Michelin PS2's (summer tire) and they have 240aa thread wear. The OEM tires have 140aa on them. Depends on what you are looking for. Discount is great Glad you gave them a try!
Old 04-06-08, 09:00 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

In regards to the thread wear, the higher the number, the longer it is for the tires to wear out?
Old 04-06-08, 11:09 AM
iameric
Driver

Yes TRDCorolla I'm pretty sure that's how it works, the higher the number the longer your tread lasts, i'm not sure about the letters next to it.
Right now I have high performance summer tires that are super soft, I was reading up on the tires recently and apparently they're not suppose to be used in near freezing temperatures or anything under.
Living in lubbock it gets into near freezing everyday for about half the year so I def need some all season.
Old 04-06-08, 07:18 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I hear a lot of good things about the Eagle F1 tires. Those are the ones I plan on getting once mine starts to wear more. Plus, if those F1 do have a tread rating of 420, it has got to be good in the long run.
Old 04-06-08, 07:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

higher the treadwear number, harder the rubber, longer it wears, louder tire = less traction

lower the treadwear number, softer the rubber, wears out faster, quieter tire = more traction
Old 04-06-08, 07:30 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
higher the treadwear number, harder the rubber, longer it wears, louder tire = less traction

lower the treadwear number, softer the rubber, wears out faster, quieter tire = more traction
I would agree with most of this, except the harder=louder piece. Though it can be true sometimes, I think the tread pattern/design plays a large part. I've had extremely quiet high treadwear (700+) and low (140-) as well as loud (200-) and (500+).
Old 04-06-08, 07:36 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I bought some pole position. Those are pretty nice.
Old 04-06-08, 07:44 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Treadwear numbers are NOT comparable across different manufacturers.

The DOT does not test tires. It depends on manufacturers to test their own tires and report the results. Unfortunately, this system has made treadwear ratings far less useful than the DOT had originally intended because tire manufacturers are able to use the treadwear grade as a marketing tool.

It is legal and permissible for a manufacturer to give their tire a 240 rating when their competitor's equivalent tire has a 220 rating; thus creating the false impression that the 240 tire is a better purchase because it will last longer. This tendency to inflate treadwear numbers has become so common that some manufacturers may report that ALL their tires have above average treadwear grades. Some are taking normal tires and reporting a treadwear of 600 or more, or giving a 220 rating to maximum performance tires with a reputation for poor tire life.

So beware trying to compare treadwear ratings.

Quick Reply: Ugh first flat today, need replacement tire