IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any Way of Knowing that Stock wheels are Bent?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 03:04 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Any Way of Knowing that Stock wheels are Bent?

With big wheels, such as 20's or even 19's...it is fairly easy to spot a bend you get in the wheel. However, I'm not sure if you 350 guys are having this problem but I find it VERY difficult to notice any bends in the stock 18's. My friend actually pointed out one in my front wheel, that I hadn't noticed since they were on my car.

I have been getting a wobble, that start's from a stand(0mph) and fades out around 15-20mph. Nothing at high speeds though. Everyone seems to believe it's due to a bent wheel. I took the 2 fronts wheels and replaced them with a friends pair. But to no luck, the wobble was still there.

My question is, how can I tell if the either one of my rear wheels is bent? To the eye, visually they seem fine. What will a shop do for me if I bring it to them? Thanks in advance guy's.
Old 04-06-08, 04:05 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will probably need to have it spin on a balancer before you will really be able to tell. When the wheel is spinning at high speed in place it is very easy to tell if it's off by even a little bit.

Usually you will get wobbles/vibrations through the steering wheel from bent fronts and through the seat from bent rears.

You might want to check your lug torque too.
Old 04-06-08, 04:34 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
you will probably need to have it spin on a balancer before you will really be able to tell. When the wheel is spinning at high speed in place it is very easy to tell if it's off by even a little bit.

Usually you will get wobbles/vibrations through the steering wheel from bent fronts and through the seat from bent rears.

You might want to check your lug torque too.
Five, I've torqued all my lug's to 80..So that's obviously not my issue here at hand. The vibration is coming from under the seat, which is why I have come to the conclusion it's somewhere in the rear. BUT, the rim looks fine to me. Can't see any bend or imperfection in it.

When they put the rim on the balancer, does it have to have the tire off?
Old 04-06-08, 05:37 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

nope, just tell them to balance it, preferably in your presence so you can see it for yourself. They'll just spin the whole thing to see where it's off.

If that's the issue, and depending how bent it is, they may be able to 'balance' the vibrations out of it, but I doubt it. I'm actually ordering new wheels tomorrow because of the same issue; driver's rear is bent.
Old 04-08-08, 03:35 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
nope, just tell them to balance it, preferably in your presence so you can see it for yourself. They'll just spin the whole thing to see where it's off.

If that's the issue, and depending how bent it is, they may be able to 'balance' the vibrations out of it, but I doubt it. I'm actually ordering new wheels tomorrow because of the same issue; driver's rear is bent.
Can they perform this with the tire on? Or does it have to be dismounted?
Old 04-08-08, 03:44 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

sorry I wasn't more clear, they can do this with the tire on.
Old 04-08-08, 08:20 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the help Five! Truly!

Issue is now discovered, my rear pass wheel is slightly bent. Actually watched it shimmy on the balance machine. In a sense it's a relief that it was just this. Now the question is, repair or buy a new one... lol.
Old 04-28-08, 02:23 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Rediscovered this thread doing a search....were you able to get it repaired, or just replaced?
Old 04-28-08, 02:29 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Typically if a rim is bent enough, it will need a combination of both stick on and lip mounted wheel weights. The "Static" mode on the balancer does not always work well with damaged wheels.