IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs. Cadillac '08 CTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 10:52 AM
daandman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rinthiran
I have an '06 IS350, my sister has an '06 IS250. I rented a '08 CTS from Hertz in February, with the 3.6L (non-direct injection engine) for a week and had a jolly good time whipping it around town and commuting in Seattle.
That's actually a really good idea, I didn't even think of renting it. I'm not sure where to rent from, Hertz & all these rental agencies seem to have pretty steep prices for luxury cars like that, and I just called the Lexus dealership & while it's a bit cheaper, $90/day is still pretty high. I explained that the reason I'm renting is because I'm interested in buying & want to see how it drives for a few days, and they said they'd see if they can get me a cheaper rate & give me a call back. Here's hoping.
Old 04-07-08, 10:53 AM
Tony221
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after working on GM's for so long i havent noticed a difference in their quality and reliability. Maybe a tad but not much to actually wanna buy one.
Old 04-07-08, 11:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daandman
That's actually a really good idea, I didn't even think of renting it. I'm not sure where to rent from, Hertz & all these rental agencies seem to have pretty steep prices for luxury cars like that, and I just called the Lexus dealership & while it's a bit cheaper, $90/day is still pretty high. I explained that the reason I'm renting is because I'm interested in buying & want to see how it drives for a few days, and they said they'd see if they can get me a cheaper rate & give me a call back. Here's hoping.
A luxury make should let you take the car for an "overnight" test drive, without charge. GM did this company wide a few years ago. Of course, I'm not sure you can expect to just walk in and demand it, but if you've been negotiating with them for a couple of weeks, they should allow it without hesitation.
Old 04-07-08, 11:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
If I were to go the AWD mode it would be by way of the G35/37.

Koz
I think the G35x would be substantially cheaper than a CTS, comparably equipped. PA dealers were selling for $600 over invoice when I looked a year ago, which would have put a pretty loaded G35x at about $37,500.
Old 04-07-08, 12:02 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Cadillac has a way to go before I'd consider buying one. Reliability, and depreciation are just a few reasons why I'd pass on the CTS. I do agree that Cadillac does seem to be making better looking cars, with better designs both inside and out. I've ridden in several Caddies over the last few years, as well as GS350, LS450, (and my IS) etc, and the Caddies just didn't quite measure up to the high standards of quality and luxury compared to Lexus.
If you don't care about reliability or resale value, and you just absolutely love the CTS, then by all means go for it.
Old 04-07-08, 12:07 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also think the G35 awd should be the car cross shopped with the Caddy. It's bigger has awd and probably similar build quality. I think G35's also had those pop up nav's. The old one's did at least don't know about the new gen models. People used to say the pop up nav was cheesy but I guess some people think it's cool. The Mazda 3 btw also has pop up nav. lol
Old 04-07-08, 12:55 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
All bias aside, look at resale, caddi's have horrible resale because of the lack of reliability (and the factory rebates). The 08 CTS is a great looking car and it appears that GM is finally starting to turn it around in terms of quality and reliability, but I'm still sceptical.
I can't remember what show it was, one the the auto review shows on speed channel but the commentator said "...you buy a Cadillac becuase you're making a social statement to your neighbors that you can spend a lot of money on a car and not care if it works or not."
Very true, resale prices factor in reliability and consumer confidence in a product.
Old 04-07-08, 12:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I think G35's also had those pop up nav's. The old one's did at least don't know about the new gen models. People used to say the pop up nav was cheesy but I guess some people think it's cool.
G35 sedan does NOT have pop up nav.
Old 04-07-08, 01:13 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
musta been the coupe then
Old 04-07-08, 02:05 PM
Joneser
Driver

I love the cadi's look as well... and the interior is nicer than the IS to me.... BUT quality is huge to me. Plus in my demographic i see more CTS' than IS' interestingly enough... which is nice not to se emy car all over the road ... even the old generation CTS is all over too...
But I can tell you one thing... I saw the CTS coupe at the autoshow... HOT.... it just might make me think about doing something drastic...
Old 04-07-08, 11:07 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I really love the '08 CTS.It has great looks and interior,it's quick too.
I just don't have any trust in the reliability factor.
+1

thats caddy will long start havin issues b4 the lex will
and Nissan builds crap anyways--trust me!! so forget infiniti

point blank nothing beats a honda or toyota for quality and reliabilty
and I mean reliability to the smallest component

Last edited by NYC ES3; 04-07-08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 01:10 AM
stvn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
my friends g35 sedan had a popup nav screen..

and definitely the CTS is a bad *** car! but i like the look of the IS better and i have not been disappointed so far!
Old 04-08-08, 04:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stvn
my friends g35 sedan had a popup nav screen..

Must be 1st Gen, because I cross-shopped the G35, and it doesn't have it now.
Old 04-08-08, 09:00 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

The CTS is a nice looking car, but I think the IS is by far much better looking and we all know much more reliable.

There is only one thing I like about the CTS, the TV commercial with the girl, that says "It's not about pop-up navi's, or leather wrapped streeing wheels, the question is when you turn your car on, does it return the favor" I think that is one of the best car commercials.
Old 04-08-08, 09:03 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the 1st gen CTS wasn't that appealing, inside and out. not much has changed since.

Quick Reply: IS 350 vs. Cadillac '08 CTS