IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is it ok to wax/polish our IS again after 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 09:48 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is it ok to wax/polish our IS again after 2 months?

So I took my IS in for detailing: clay wax, buffing, polishing and wash of course in mid february. result was not good, have more swirls than before. what I liked is the increase in shine.. that's all. I considered it's a failed job coz the swirls did not go away.

I;'m thinking of sending the car in for detailing again. Now it's mid april. 2 months have passed. gonna send it to a professional detailer.

is it safe only after 2 months that I do another polish, wax, and buff?

Any downside?

Please advise
Old 04-09-08, 09:59 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try doing it yourself..so you can guarantee the work done right. There's plenty of threads out there on car care. Use http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57 they have an awesome detailing section, I came from that forum and it's a LOT busier and has a LOT more inputs than this one..
Old 04-09-08, 10:01 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

im guessing it would be okay because the clay bar will remove the old wax.
Old 04-09-08, 10:22 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
Try doing it yourself..so you can guarantee the work done right. There's plenty of threads out there on car care. Use http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57 they have an awesome detailing section, I came from that forum and it's a LOT busier and has a LOT more inputs than this one..
I just dont have the guts to do it on my 40k car.. moreover i suck at this!! will surely mess everything up.LOL

i know a pro detailer in my area, but the question again...

is it safe to do another detailing only after 2 months? any downside effect to the clear coat?
Old 04-09-08, 10:26 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is "still" safe as your paint has only gone thru 1 detail...even tho you should just wait for another few months so you can do twice a year detail...anyhow the more you polish/paint correction, the more clear coat you are taking off....
Old 04-09-08, 10:30 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to correct swirls is with a polisher which does remove a super thin layer of clear coat. But with the proper car wash practices, and and wax/sealant you should be fine in the long run. But in general you probably shouldn't be using a polisher more then 3x a yr...
Old 04-09-08, 10:30 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by radicalrev
anyhow the more you polish/paint correction, the more clear coat you are taking off....
yes, i heard about that too.. so is there anyway to cure the fading clear coat after it's been polished many times?

not sure about this.. less clear coat = less shine on the car?
Old 04-09-08, 10:34 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XprincoX
The only way to correct swirls is with a polisher which does remove a super thin layer of clear coat. But with the proper car wash practices, and and wax/sealant you should be fine in the long run. But in general you probably shouldn't be using a polisher more then 3x a yr...
everytime i brought my car to carwashes, it says polish/wax sealant and clear coat protectant. i dunno what they do significantly, but I guess that's a good thing in the long run?

it really shines when in the shade(maybe this is the clear coat protectant job?), but you can see a lot of swirls under direct sun.
Old 04-09-08, 10:36 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

you need to apply paint sealant/wax. Just think of a clear coat is like a skin that prevents UV rays from damaging the paint. Like your skin a cars paint is full of pores that need to be filled.

A detailed definition
1. What is clear coat paint?

Automotive paints are a mixture of ingredients including resins, binders, fillers, additives, and carrying agents (typically solvents, sometimes water). Clear coat paint is simply paint, or resin without pigment. Non-clear coat paints (also called single-stage paint) is paint (or resin) with pigment added to give the paint color.

Additives are specialized chemicals that are often used to provide a specific characteristic to the paint, depending on the application. An example would be a Flex Agent. Flex Agents are used in paints that are applied to flexible components, such as flexible urethane bumpers, to help the paint resist cracking when the urethane bumper flexes. UV inhibitors are another clear coat additive that helps prevent the sun's ultra violet rays from fading the color coat under the clear coat.

Today, approximately 95% of all cars, trucks, and S.U.V.'s coming out of the factory have a clear coat finish.

Clear coat finishes (also referred to as two-stage paint systems) are simply a layer of clear resin applied over the top of colored resin. Although a clear coat does protect the base coat, just like a single-stage finish, the clear coat needs to be regularly maintained to keep it in top shape.

Contrary to what you may have heard clear coat finishes do need to be waxed periodically to maintain their appearance value. Don't buy into the false information that clear coat paints are paints that require no maintenance, this is simply not true. Simply look at any car with a clear coat finish that has been neglected and compare it to a car with a clear coat finish that has been recently detailed and your eyes, as well as your common sense, will tell you that clear coats look better when maintained, and accordingly will last longer when maintained.
Old 04-09-08, 10:40 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to sum it up...even if you go through details, the swirls will come back after a couple of washes if you continue to go to the "100%" claimed "Hand" wash...best bet to protect the paint againts swirl marks is to wash it with the proper technique and equipment...
Old 04-09-08, 10:56 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
everytime i brought my car to carwashes, it says polish/wax sealant and clear coat protectant. i dunno what they do significantly, but I guess that's a good thing in the long run?

it really shines when in the shade(maybe this is the clear coat protectant job?), but you can see a lot of swirls under direct sun.
this is exactly why people should wash there cars themselves. Those car wash places could care less if they swirl your paint with there dirty wash mitts. Especially with black cars its significantly magnified in the sunlight.

It's all about getting a sheep skin mitt and using the 2 bucket method...
Old 04-09-08, 11:14 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

thanks for all your inputs. sorry i;m just a newbie in detailing.

hey xprincox, you are so active tonite i think u replide to all my threads. LOL
anyway thanks for your advice..appreciated
Old 04-09-08, 11:17 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

lol no prob. Bored on a Wed nite...
Old 04-10-08, 06:15 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XprincoX
you need to apply paint sealant/wax. Just think of a clear coat is like a skin that prevents UV rays from damaging the paint. Like your skin a cars paint is full of pores that need to be filled.

A detailed definition
Excellent posts... had a detailing business myself, go with Meguiars. Don't worry about doing it yourself, you won't mess it up.

1. Wash, then dry thoroughly
2. Clay bar-wipe clean new towel (microfiber if possible)
3. Shine Wax- new pad, new towel
4. NXT regular wax- new pad, new towel
5. Quick detailer (with polymer)- new towel

You now have two protected layers on clear coat

Will have that wet, shiny look and swirls should be gone... might take 2+ hours but worth it
Old 04-10-08, 06:31 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by radicalrev
anyhow the more you polish/paint correction, the more clear coat you are taking off....
Exactly. Also, it's important to note how deep your swirl marks are. Typically, the deeper your swirl marks, the more abrasive polish needed to get rid of them.

This is what will ultimately wear down your car's clear coat.

Quick Reply: is it ok to wax/polish our IS again after 2 months?