IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just bought a Smoky Granite Is350. Got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 09:51 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Smoky Granite Is350. Got a few questions

Hi, Just purchased my Smoky Granite is350 for a steal. The dealership gave me a deal I couldn't refuse so I bought one.

I am new to this forum and not very use to it. I came from Acurazine which is very organized forum. I tried searching but I couldn't find the answers.

-I am wondering if anyone knows if its possible to have the foglight on and headlights off?
-Would you prefer 9006 or HID for fog lights?
-3000k or 6000k on a smoky granite for fog lights?
-Has anyone tried to install a DVD player on a non ML car. I have navi though but I really wish I have the DVD option. I didn't want to shed out $3k extra for it.
-For the Tail light, which one would you prefer to get rid of the amber piece. Should I get red JDM spray or red vinyl from ebay.
-For the reflector under the tail light, how do you guys black it out?

Thats it for now. Thanks guys
Old 04-09-08, 09:55 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foglights on headlights off, would be a modification, possible but requires some wiring.

9006 is the bulb already set for our foglights, but of course one would prefer the HIDs in no higher than a 6K Kelvin, after that it's all for looks and no function.

There is a way to get the DVD option but it requires a very expensive kit..although nowhere near as much as $3K.

The red vinyl for the taillights are made by either Aerotect or another company, which I can't think of the name at the moment. The reflector is also a little vinyl kit that companies sell..
Old 04-09-08, 10:09 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6k heads and 6k fogs is what id prefer, personally both hid, of course

i plan on doing it eventually, but waiting to move out and save up some cash before that gets done. hopefully one month?

DEFINITELY get the red vinyl, it looks sweeeet. get it from aerotect or rvinyl, ive only heard good things from both and the install is easy. id never applied vinyls before, but for my first time, i can say it was one of the easiest mods ive ever done. ever.
Old 04-09-08, 10:18 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

thanks for the reply.

-So there isn't anyone who has done the foglight on with headlight off yet?

-do you have a link for the little reflector vinyl?
Old 04-10-08, 07:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you were already dropping the insane $2500 for the 90s-era nav system then it was only another $1500 to get the DVD changer and Mark Levinson stereo upgrade added to that package. (Nav alone is 2500.... Mark Levinson alone is $940... both together they're $3990 because only with getting them together do you also get the DVD changer)- note however it would only play movies while the car is in park unless you want to physically hack your wiring.

It's possible to do the upgrade yourself, but it's not easy, and would likely have been as cheap or cheaper to just get it in the car to begin with.
Old 04-10-08, 09:04 AM
kiddolay
Rookie

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Hi, Just purchased my Smoky Granite is350 for a steal. The dealership gave me a deal I couldn't refuse so I bought one.

I am new to this forum and not very use to it. I came from Acurazine which is very organized forum. I tried searching but I couldn't find the answers.

-I am wondering if anyone knows if its possible to have the foglight on and headlights off?
-Would you prefer 9006 or HID for fog lights?
-3000k or 6000k on a smoky granite for fog lights?
-Has anyone tried to install a DVD player on a non ML car. I have navi though but I really wish I have the DVD option. I didn't want to shed out $3k extra for it.
-For the Tail light, which one would you prefer to get rid of the amber piece. Should I get red JDM spray or red vinyl from ebay.
-For the reflector under the tail light, how do you guys black it out?

Thats it for now. Thanks guys

1. I dunno
2. I got HIDs and they are a lot cooler than the 9006. I 'CAN' touch the cover!
3. 3000K is my favorite because it is actually USEFUL. I got it from mobileHID. Check the vendor section for IS250/350 stuff: there is a thread by cliff with the special link for CL members. It was 160 for the 3000K HID kit (i think its 170 now).
4. You already got a navi but if you want to play dvds on ANOTHER screen, its doable but not recommended.
5. ebay one is cheap so try that solution first and if you don't like it, switch to the spray
6. No idea.

One question though, how good of a price was it? What was the OTD?
Old 04-10-08, 09:42 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho

The red vinyl for the taillights are made by either Aerotect or another company, which I can't think of the name at the moment.
It's http://www.rvinyl.com, and another company that has that stuff is http://www.xpel.com
Old 04-10-08, 11:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

If your into the whole i-Pod thing, you can buy a SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) - iPod Video Interface Adapter from VAIS Technology.

You can then download your favorite movies from DVD's onto your i-Pod and then watch them in your IS's Navagation screen...
(no DVD palyer required)

Joe Z
Old 04-10-08, 01:51 PM
thisisj0
Driver

ditto^
Old 04-10-08, 03:47 PM
solspeed
Driver

[QUOTE=Kurtz;3434903]If you were already dropping the insane $2500 for the 90s-era nav system then it was only another $1500 to get the DVD changer and Mark Levinson stereo upgrade added to that package. (Nav alone is 2500.... Mark Levinson alone is $940... both together they're $3990 because only with getting them together do you also get the DVD changer)- note however it would only play movies while the car is in park unless you want to physically hack your wiring.

IM pretty much happy with my Nav. 2nd i dont think it display the 90's technology . Though i dont use it much since all my road course are pretty much familiar in everyday driving.
Old 04-10-08, 04:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No realtime traffic? No writeable storage? Cripples itself while the car is in drive? $300 map updates? 90s tech all over. 90s pricing too when a garmin for 1/10th the price does more.

Don't get me wrong, for a factory nav system, it's pretty nice... but it's dated tech, especially without offering traffic and way way way overpriced, even Toyota has admitted that. (though they've yet to fix it)
Old 04-10-08, 04:57 PM
stvn
Pole Position

but the nav screen is so shiny and colorful.. haha

3000k fogs = yellow =
Old 04-10-08, 05:07 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.

If you're in the socal area, aerotect has a great deal on clear bra installations right now for CL members. If you're not in socal - please check out my sig for a clear bra installer near you as over 50% of second gen IS owners complain about rock chips in their paint. ( http://www.clearbrafilms.com/norcal )

Also - since you have a navi system, if you get a clear film applied to the screen, some members have had luck in reducing the fingerprints on their screens.

With regards to your lighting questions - just so you can get an idea of what 3k will look like - here is fellow member Carchitect's vehicle with 3k MobileHID fogs. Again, please check out the sig for a special price on them vs the site price.

Happy Driving!!

-Clifford
Old 04-10-08, 05:10 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you were already dropping the insane $2500 for the 90s-era nav system then it was only another $1500 to get the DVD changer and Mark Levinson stereo upgrade added to that package. (Nav alone is 2500.... Mark Levinson alone is $940... both together they're $3990 because only with getting them together do you also get the DVD changer)- note however it would only play movies while the car is in park unless you want to physically hack your wiring.

It's possible to do the upgrade yourself, but it's not easy, and would likely have been as cheap or cheaper to just get it in the car to begin with.
Those of us who dropped an "insane" $2,500 for nav also get on-screen controls for many other functions. If you consider it "insane" to drop this kind of money for a great feature, I'm surprised you found it within the realm of reason to spend so much money on a car to begin with.

My wife's car has a brand new 2008 portable nav unit, and mine is every bit as current as hers...I don't find it to be 90s-era at all.
Old 04-10-08, 06:12 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the reply guys.

My price was 38,500 from 42,995. They basically took off $4,500. I think if I tried hard enough, I could of gotten it down to $38,500. My OTD was $42,XXX including 8.5% california tax. Is this a good deal to you guys? I have no experience with lexus.

I want the clear bra, but then I tried contacting aero on the phone but never got a response. I was just wondering if you guys have experience with it. I am just interested in the front bumper and door cups. Do you guys think the rest of the package is useful as in the fenders, headlights, rear bumper, etc.

Those 3k HID looks very nice. I might think about getting those. How difficult is installation? I am a rookie in modding my own car. But I did install my own Cold Air Intake, sway bar on my old car.

The IPOD adapter sounds like a great idea. I might look more into that. Most of the time installation like that will cost ALOT! Especially when you live in San Francisco. Everything is overpriced here. I got quoted installing Halos on my headlights for $150 and have to leave my car there for 2 days.

Quick Reply: Just bought a Smoky Granite Is350. Got a few questions