IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer quote

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 10:42 PM
spooks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer quote

I'm in the market for an IS 350 (Smokey Granite on Black) and decided to check out the local "Stealership" just to see what they would quote me. They had the exact car I was looking for, but DAMM....they would not budge.

Here's the options:
-Premium Plus
-18" Alloy wheels w/summer tires
-Navigation Sys.
-HID headlamps and AFS
-Bumper Guard
-Accessory Package

They were asking $42,381, now this included a $1000 profit AND $600 documentation fee.

Now, I've done my research and showed him the invoice prices of each option, along with vehicle price.....he basically told me that the price he has IS the actual invoice. The salesmen then went on to say he has to make a $1000 profit to keep the lights on.....WTF!!!

I've seen some good prices on what many members paid for their ride....and being this is the only Lexus dealership in Las Vegas, they will not budge. Another thing the salesman said that buying a car locally would get better service treatment than buying out of state.

I hope the CA and AZ dealers are more flexible......
Old 04-09-08, 11:00 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

I paid $41500 (includes the $700 delivery charge) for

IS 350 with these options:
- Luxury Package w/18-in wheels (as specified on lexus.com)
- Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package
- Rear spoiler
- iPod interface
- Accessor Package

Granted I'm in CA and the car I bought had 70 miles on it...
Old 04-09-08, 11:06 PM
spooks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sammy5001
I paid $41500 (includes the $700 delivery charge) for

IS 350 with these options:
- Luxury Package w/18-in wheels (as specified on lexus.com)
- Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package
- Rear spoiler
- iPod interface
- Accessor Package

Granted I'm in CA and the car I bought had 70 miles on it...
Sounds like you got a great deal....may I ask what dealership you went to and did you negotiate among a few dealerships before making your final purchase?

Thanks...
Old 04-09-08, 11:18 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

I got it at Putnam Lexus. The original quote was actually $41500 for the car without the rear spoiler + ipod interface. At the end, I said if they throw in the rear spoiler + ipod interface then I'll make the deal, and they agreed.

Before I went to the dealership I researched on the internet (edmunds in particular) for street prices, and I figured the price I got was fair so I struck the deal at this dealership -- the first and only one I shopped at.
Old 04-10-08, 12:16 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sammy5001
I got it at Putnam Lexus. The original quote was actually $41500 for the car without the rear spoiler + ipod interface. At the end, I said if they throw in the rear spoiler + ipod interface then I'll make the deal, and they agreed.

Before I went to the dealership I researched on the internet (edmunds in particular) for street prices, and I figured the price I got was fair so I struck the deal at this dealership -- the first and only one I shopped at.
does that price include TTL?
Old 04-10-08, 05:30 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is pretty much exactly like yours except for the bumper guard and got out the door $38,700.
Old 04-10-08, 09:12 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spooks
Another thing the salesman said that buying a car locally would get better service treatment than buying out of state.

I hope the CA and AZ dealers are more flexible......
I call what he told you BS. It doesn't matter where you got your car, whenever you bring your car in for service, they're happy to see you because they see automatic $$ signs. It's true that you may get your way more if you brought your car into the same dealership that you got your car from but it's not really that big of a deal. I bought my car from Longo Lexus here in So Cal but I've brought my car into for service at several other dealerships around here in So Cal and no one has treated me badly.

If you have the patience, do your research and hold out until you get the price that you want. If you know what you're asking for is fair, stick to your guns. Don't let them push you around.

G'luck!
Old 04-10-08, 09:21 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

What She Said. ^
Old 04-10-08, 11:25 AM
spooks
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice...

I think being that there is only 1 Lexus dealership in Las Vegas, it gives them control on their flexibility.

I did contact most of the SoCal dealerships just to get a feel....and I read a few post about Putnam Lexus giving really good deals. Hopefully I can get an IS by the end of the month. With the sales dropping from last year, usually towards the end of the moth would a good time to start wheeling & dealing.

Last edited by spooks; 04-10-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 11:43 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, you can't dictate to a dealer as to what they will sell a car for. That's called the free market system. If they won't budge, then go somewhere else. But don't berate the dealer, he is the one with the Lexus license, and he has a business to run. He knows better than you what price he needs to sell at and what his market will bear. I'm always amazed when people demand that a dealer should sell to them at a price the buyer wants, regardless if it makes sense or not to the dealer.

Deals on the IS350 are never as good as the IS250, that's just a fact. Some good deals can be had in the oversaturated CA market, but most markets aren't oversupplied and the discounts are smaller. Sounds like NV is in this category. Price is important, but convenience and supporting your local dealer (if possible) have to be figured into the equation. I'll usually pay a bit more to buy locally, all things considered, if I feel it will get me better service in the long run. In smaller markets this can be a factor.

Last edited by Evitzee; 04-10-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 12:25 PM
spooks
Driver School Candidate

Evitzee,

While you make a valid point and that is why I'm looking elswhere to get a better deal. Especially from reading and researching this site, I'm eager to say that a lot of members got a great deal and what they were looking for.

I'm not looking for a smoking deal as I do know they got a family and bills to pay, so I am reasonable.

Do you think that is a good price and what did you pay for your ride?
Old 04-10-08, 01:03 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Contrary to popular belief, you can't dictate to a dealer as to what they will sell a car for. That's called the free market system. If they won't budge, then go somewhere else. But don't berate the dealer, he is the one with the Lexus license, and he has a business to run. He knows better than you what price he needs to sell at and what his market will bear. I'm always amazed when people demand that a dealer should sell to them at a price the buyer wants, regardless if it makes sense or not to the dealer.

Deals on the IS350 are never as good as the IS250, that's just a fact. Some good deals can be had in the oversaturated CA market, but most markets aren't oversupplied and the discounts are smaller. Sounds like NV is in this category. Price is important, but convenience and supporting your local dealer (if possible) have to be figured into the equation. I'll usually pay a bit more to buy locally, all things considered, if I feel it will get me better service in the long run. In smaller markets this can be a factor.
By no means was I telling the OP to tell the dealer his price and demand the dealer to let the car go for that price. I was just making the point that a lot of the things the dealer said was just "fluff" to get him to buy with them. I understand that NV may be a smaller market but that doesn't mean that the OP has to be a slave to them. He has options. The fact that the dealer told him they have to make money to "keep the lights on", that's just ridiculous. I'm sure the sale of 1 car isn't going to keep "the lights on".
Old 04-10-08, 02:06 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
The fact that the dealer told him they have to make money to "keep the lights on", that's just ridiculous. I'm sure the sale of 1 car isn't going to keep "the lights on".
That statement is just silly. Of course no dealer will go broke selling ONE car at below market value, or even giving it away, but why would he/she want to? No dealer is going to do it unless there is motivation to do so; end of month quota, oversupply of a particular model, repeat good customer, etc. But you can't expect a dealer to give you a smoking deal, 'just because' ......

To the OP, if I read your original post correctly, you are being offered the car at $1,600 over invoice. That is not a bad price on an IS350, imo. Can you do better if you shop in CA? Probably, but deep discounts on 350's are usually not the norm, especially in a smaller market. If the car I wanted was sitting in front of me at a local dealer at that price I'd take it. To me saving another grand by going to CA and shopping isn't worth it. Your situation may be different.
Old 04-10-08, 02:19 PM
kargahi
Driver

okey...so the way u guyz talk about prices... really makes me feel like i should move to states....
i got a 2008 IS250 leather and moonroof PKG that means... no navigation becuse there is no nav PKG on the IS250 RWD... , no ipod interphase, no ML, and 17" rims... low profile tires... for $37,245... leased!!! (that is Toronto tax included) oh, and i got whatever i want from the dealer with the dealer price.... so rear spoiler for ~300... and free maintenance for a while!!!
if i wanted to get a IS350... base without anything!!!! would have came to 43K, tax included...
yeah CANADA SUX...
Old 04-10-08, 02:34 PM
kiddolay
Rookie

I agree with everyone on this thread. Dealers have to make money too and they will not let the car go for any cheaper than what the next customer will pay for the car. It is your job as a customer to go and FIND a dealership that will agree with you on the price. I live in VA and I emailed out to all dealerships including MD and got the best deals from MD. You gotta be willing to travel or end up paying more.

Most servicing and sales are separate departments. They don't know you got the car from them or anywhere else. As long as you bring your car in, they will work on it and charge you at a Lexus price :P.

I got my car from MD and take it to a shop in VA for all my servicing; I took it for all warranty repairs (TSIBs) with no problems and I have only paid once for my 10k oil change.

Quick Reply: Dealer quote