IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MT owners: Do you Heel/toe and rev match?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 12:10 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilwilB
I read the lexus manual it actually recommanded to use engine braking instead of just pushing the braking pad to save up the brake. I know replacing a clutch cost more than the brake but it's what it says in the manual.
This is going to sound impossibly cynical, but why WOULDN'T Lexus encourage behavior that would result in more money in their pocket? A new clutch is way more expensive than new brake pads.

Last edited by Recluse; 04-11-08 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-11-08, 12:16 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Oh, and to answer the original question, I did rev-match my downshifts when I had my IS, but I haven't mastered heel and toe.
Old 04-11-08, 04:10 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitsune
A few questions.

#1 - Why would you want to lug your engine? Shifting through gears doesn't harm anything even at a stop. There is oil which lubricates the gears and there isn't any load on the gears to make them wear out any more than metal grinding against metal.
You don't lug the engine. You push in the clutch just BEFORE it starts to lug. One reason to wait until then to push the clutch in: If you put it in neutral too early, you have no engine braking, and I think that it's actually illegal to coast in neutral.

#3 - Please explain to me what harm is it in resting your foot on the clutch? The clutch gets pressed all the time when shifting and even when you're not shifting doesn't harm any of the clutch.
It's puts wear on the the clutch components

In the end, doing pretty much any thing with regard to the clutch puts SOME wear on it. So, the goal is to minimize the wear by not doing needless things. All the things I mentioned not to do are all needless things.

Ultimately, will it really matter: maybe, maybe not. But, the labor on clutches isn't cheap, because they aren't the easiest to replace. So, why do things that just put needless wear on to them.
Old 04-11-08, 04:16 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by 06-IS250

is it ok to downshift to save your brakes? I find it hard to believe that is "bad" for the transmission...
NO--- do NOT do this. It puts needless wear on the clutch. Just come to a regular stop/slow down.

with regard to emergency stopping: I think it would be harder to downshift for engine braking vs just hitting the brakes, and am wondering if downshifting would actually help you slow down faster

Also, I believe that most vehicle owner's manuals state to use engine braking, but isn't it in regard to KEEPING the car from speeding up (ie- when on a downhill), NOT in regard to coming to a stop.
Old 04-11-08, 04:34 AM
mikes rx

Also, another thing you can do to minimize wear:

You can try skipping shifts while upshifting (ie- do a 1 to 3 shift, a 2 to 4). I've never driven the IS250 MT (or any 6 speed), but there are lots of 5 spds where 2nd gear is pretty much pointless for "typical" daily use, and you go through the gear so quickly anyway.
Old 04-11-08, 08:19 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikes rx
1) do not shift through your gears, even with the clutch depressed, when coming to a stop. When slowing to a stop, don't press the clutch in until just before the car starts to shake/begin to act like it's going to stall.
However, this also means that you are in an improper gear for the speed you are traveling, and if you suddenly needed to accelerate quickly, you would not be able to do so.

However, when you are approaching a stop, if you clutch in and then walk the stick down through the gears as you decelerate and approach the appropriate speed for each given gear, then if traffic suddenly started moving again, or if you needed some throttle for an emergency maneuver, you could just come off the clutch and go.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.
Old 04-11-08, 08:24 AM
arksun
Driver

I actually find the brake and gas pedal too close together to do heel/toe properly. Either I end up hitting the brakes too hard or the gas too hard and the brakes too little.

I only single clutch rev-match.
Old 04-11-08, 03:49 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike rx, thanks for the reply. Another question when you say resting your foot on the clutch do you mean engagin it half way?

Because most clutches has a little free play before there is an initial engagement of the clutch and you can set this up too I believe.

Mike
Old 04-11-08, 07:00 PM
mikes rx

Mike rx, thanks for the reply. Another question when you say resting your foot on the clutch do you mean engagin it half way?

Because most clutches has a little free play before there is an initial engagement of the clutch and you can set this up too I believe.

Mike
That's actually the common misperception. Even though the clutch may not actually engage until half way down the pedal travel, you're still putting some strain on the components just by pressing on the pedal.

A good way to think about it is that clutches aren't on/off switches. Like the other person said that related it to the brake system, just because it's not actually engaged doesn't mean that it's not having any "work" being done through it.
Old 04-11-08, 07:03 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Recluse
However, this also means that you are in an improper gear for the speed you are traveling, and if you suddenly needed to accelerate quickly, you would not be able to do so.

However, when you are approaching a stop, if you clutch in and then walk the stick down through the gears as you decelerate and approach the appropriate speed for each given gear, then if traffic suddenly started moving again, or if you needed some throttle for an emergency maneuver, you could just come off the clutch and go.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.
If traffic starts moving again, I just downshift as normal into the gear that I need.

Not arguing with you, just stating the alternative.