IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Planning to change to Potenza RE960AS but...?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 04:53 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mendoza
Anyone tried the Turanza Serenity? I read the review from Tirerack, they are not bad!! In fact, as good as the RE960AS Pole Position.

But the fact that Turanza Serenity is Grand Touring tires, they will be more quieter I guess, compared to RE960AS, which is Ultra High Performance tires.

Am I right?
Folks....these are Ultra High Performance All Season tires: which means they are as high performance as all season tires can get...not that they are ultra high performance plus the added benefit of being all season.

This isn't a knock against these tires, I'm sure they are fantastic, and I may wind up with a set on my car someday. However, they are all seasons, which means they have a much different (harder, longer lasting, etc) compound to deal with a range of temperatures and road conditions.

With a treadwear rating of 400, you should expect to get 30-50k miles depending on your driving habits. HTH.

Edit: The RE960AS have a treadwear rating of 400 AA A, and the serenity have a treadwear rating of 740 A A. These are both made by the same manufacturer, so the serenity will last longer (740 vs 400), but the RE960AS will have more grip (AA A vs A A)
Old 04-16-08, 05:02 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

I was considering these tires too because I thought they would be very quiet. If not these, what are the quietest tires for the IS 250 AWD?
Old 04-16-08, 05:06 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

If quiet is the most important consideration, I usually recommend touring tires (ala serenity), but there are some very good A/S tires too.
Old 04-16-08, 05:42 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

my brother ran 245/40/18 in the rear with no problems
Old 04-16-08, 06:24 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sinister2c
my brother ran 245/40/18 in the rear with no problems
..any drop?
Old 04-16-08, 06:56 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
If quiet is the most important consideration, I usually recommend touring tires (ala serenity), but there are some very good A/S tires too.
yeah..maybe serenity is better in quietness.. but less grip

on the other hand, RE960AS is less quiet than serenity but got better grip to the road.

so, it;s your decision.. quiet vs grip.
Old 04-16-08, 07:01 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

thats what I'm rolling on and lemme say they are not cheap but overall they are worth it.
Old 04-16-08, 08:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

May I ask why you would go with an All Season tire when you are in CA?
Old 04-16-08, 08:28 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought Sumitomo HTRZ3's to replace my extremely loud stock Bridgestone Potenza RE050's. Price really wasnt my first issue, but I wanted a summer tire... My OEM tires Only have 11k miles on them and they still look new, but I cant stand the road noise.

In my research I also found that you should buy an aysmetrical tire, so you can at least rotate your tires side to side. (Since our cars have different size tires front/rear) When a tire cant be rotated, it will tend to get noisy down the road and any rotation will make it last longer and keep them quiet.
Old 04-16-08, 08:48 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TO THE OP: What about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S??? They come in the factory sizes.

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-16-08 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 08:51 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
May I ask why you would go with an All Season tire when you are in CA?
actually I have no idea why. LOL. I always look at RE960AS pole position, which is from the reviews, are impressive. So I compared with the competitors, which are all-season tires too.

Is there any great (good is not enough) summer tires? in terms of quietness and grip..

how bout the price?
Old 04-16-08, 10:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
actually I have no idea why. LOL. I always look at RE960AS pole position, which is from the reviews, are impressive. So I compared with the competitors, which are all-season tires too.

Is there any great (good is not enough) summer tires? in terms of quietness and grip..

how bout the price?
I have the Micheline PS2's on my car for the summer. Don't have the luxury some other members have

They are not cheap tires! 240 AA I believe so not much tread life in them but own a pair and you will understand why! You will fall in love with them. You get what you pay for and hands down this is by far the best tire I have had on a car. The Micheline Pilot A/S tires are great tires also. Just in your area I would go more for a Summer or Max Performance tire! Give them a try. Discount Tire was very reasonable on price if they are local to you.

The tire you are looking at Discount Tire had great things to say about it. I think the tread is 340 AA on it?? i cant recall???

ps. I got an email back and order the caliper stickers if you havent and would like the info PM me.
Old 04-16-08, 10:43 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
I have the Micheline PS2's on my car for the summer. Don't have the luxury some other members have

They are not cheap tires! 240 AA I believe so not much tread life in them but own a pair and you will understand why! You will fall in love with them. You get what you pay for and hands down this is by far the best tire I have had on a car. The Micheline Pilot A/S tires are great tires also. Just in your area I would go more for a Summer or Max Performance tire! Give them a try. Discount Tire was very reasonable on price if they are local to you.

The tire you are looking at Discount Tire had great things to say about it. I think the tread is 340 AA on it?? i cant recall???

ps. I got an email back and order the caliper stickers if you havent and would like the info PM me.
Michelin has short life.. I think serenity has the longest life (740) and even RE960AS has 400 life tread, according to fiveohnine.

but undoubtedly, michelin ps2 is also a great tire for our IS!!
Old 04-17-08, 10:52 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

I think I know why I go all-season tires althogh I'm in california

i searched the performance vs tread life of the tires.

it turns out that summer tires that are high performance have short tread life. Example: Michelin Sport pS2 is rated 220 AA A. wow..220??

potenza RE960AS all-season and Yokohama ADVAN S.4. all-season ultra high performance have 400 AA A rating. 400

so, considering these, and prices that are not much different, I would go all-season
Old 04-17-08, 11:07 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calculate tire szie when changing, dont guess...

go here and calculate

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Quick Reply: Planning to change to Potenza RE960AS but...?!