IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No More Semi Annaline Leather in 2008's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 05:49 PM
shn7926
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excuse my ignorance, but WTH is semi-annaline leather anyway. my 07 rwd has the softest leather i've ever had in a car and i can't imagine it being any softer without giving up something in the durability category.
Old 04-16-08, 06:31 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shn7926
excuse my ignorance, but WTH is semi-annaline leather anyway. my 07 rwd has the softest leather i've ever had in a car and i can't imagine it being any softer without giving up something in the durability category.
Aniline leather is simply dyed with pigment added for consistency in color, and shows imperfections in the hide, will fade out eventually in the sun, and wears fairly easily - not a good leather for cars, to say the least.

Semi-aniline leather is very lightly clearcoated, and is typically softer than typical coated leather. It is subject to wear quicker and easier than coasted leather.

Protected aniline leather (what most of us actually have in cars) are clearcoated, and are the best for wear, color consistency, etc.

For those of you buying expensive leather conditioners, you're wasting your time if you have protected aniline leather. I use Zaino leather products regardless because I like the scent, but protected leather has a poly clearcoat on it, and you can protect it with the same stuff you use on your dash (really!). Leather care products WILL NOT soak into clearcoated leather, so if you leave a leather care product on your clearcoated leather, buff it off, and then convince yourself that the seat "really soaked that up", you're suffering from a placebo effect.

Semi-aniline leather seats will benefit from proper leather cleaning and conditioning, and they need it much more often than true clearcoated seats. Semi-analine leather is associated with top end luxury cars, but it can be a real PIA to maintain over time. I have semi-aliline leather on the couch in my home, and it's easy to tell because some color comes off on the cloth when I clean and condition the leather (similar to what happens when you polish a car that isn't clearcoated).

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-08, 06:35 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shn7926
This is from the Associated Content website. It pertains to leather furniture, but I suppose it would apply to car leather as well:

Analine finish is when leather is soaked in a clear dye. It is basically a finish that will help to make the leather more cleanable. Remember that leather is skin and if left untreated it will absorb everything. Semi-analine leather finish has a smaller amount of dye used on it. It gives it a little bit of protection, but not as much as a full analine finish does.

Doesn't really say anything about the softness of the leather, though. May be that the IS250's had the semi-analine leather because the vehicle is more likely to be driven in bad weather conditions where the leather might pick up more dirt, road salt, etc. Just a guess on my part, though.
Old 04-16-08, 06:51 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetman
This is from the Associated Content website. It pertains to leather furniture, but I suppose it would apply to car leather as well:

Analine finish is when leather is soaked in a clear dye. It is basically a finish that will help to make the leather more cleanable. Remember that leather is skin and if left untreated it will absorb everything. Semi-analine leather finish has a smaller amount of dye used on it. It gives it a little bit of protection, but not as much as a full analine finish does.

Doesn't really say anything about the softness of the leather, though. May be that the IS250's had the semi-analine leather because the vehicle is more likely to be driven in bad weather conditions where the leather might pick up more dirt, road salt, etc. Just a guess on my part, though.
I know you're just quoting a website, but I think it's important to mention that Aniline leather isn't coated. From least protected to fully protected:

Aniline --> Semi-Aniline --> Protected/Coated Aniline

Pure aniline leather is uncoated, and porous. It will stain if you spill something on it.

Last edited by 15951; 04-16-08 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 07:07 PM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
I know you're just quoting a website, but I think it's important to mention that Aniline leather isn't coated. From least protected to fully protected:

Aniline --> Semi-Aniline --> Protected/Coated Aniline

Pure aniline leather is uncoated, and porous. It will stain if you spill something on it.
I stand corrected. I was just quoting a website (and we all know that everything on the web is 100% accurate, right?) Plus, the website was specifically referring to leather furniture, not car interiors.

Seems like you are much more knowledgeable on the matter and I defer to you. Plus, what you're saying makes a lot more sense, anyways!
Old 04-17-08, 03:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

[U]

For those of you buying expensive leather conditioners, you're wasting your time if you have protected aniline leather. I use Zaino leather products regardless because I like the scent, but protected leather has a poly clearcoat on it, and you can protect it with the same stuff you use on your dash (really!). Leather care products WILL NOT soak into clearcoated leather, so if you leave a leather care product on your clearcoated leather, buff it off, and then convince yourself that the seat "really soaked that up", you're suffering from a placebo effect.

Exactly!!!
I use Zaino conditioner for the same reasons.

Pour a drop of water on your seat.If it doesn't get absorded into the leather,the leather is vinyl coated.Most leathers today are vinyl coated.
I get a kick out of posts that say the leather gets so soft using XXXX brand conditioner.If the leather is coated....the conditioner ain't absorbin' in.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-17-08 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 06:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a thought- but seems the perforated leather ought to "absorb" conditioner somewhat, even if the leather itself isn't doing so....
Old 04-17-08, 06:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Just a thought- but seems the perforated leather ought to "absorb" conditioner somewhat, even if the leather itself isn't doing so....
Great point but just how much?
Maybe at the hole but not throughout but you're right,there is some benefit using conditioners on perforated leather.
Although the perforated area is only in the middle portion of the seats.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-17-08 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 06:42 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Aniline leather is simply dyed with pigment added for consistency in color, and shows imperfections in the hide, will fade out eventually in the sun, and wears fairly easily - not a good leather for cars, to say the least.

Semi-aniline leather is very lightly clearcoated, and is typically softer than typical coated leather. It is subject to wear quicker and easier than coasted leather.

Protected aniline leather (what most of us actually have in cars) are clearcoated, and are the best for wear, color consistency, etc.

Semi-aniline leather seats will benefit from proper leather cleaning and conditioning, and they need it much more often than true clearcoated seats. Semi-analine leather is associated with top end luxury cars, but it can be a real PIA to maintain over time. I have semi-aliline leather on the couch in my home, and it's easy to tell because some color comes off on the cloth when I clean and condition the leather (similar to what happens when you polish a car that isn't clearcoated).

Hope this helps.
I know a leather expert who basically verified your above statements. When we get that white filmy substance on the seats, it is simply the leather conditioner building up on the seats because they are protected. I like your placebo effect bit (LOL)!!!
Old 04-17-08, 09:12 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Maybe this is why my seats are squeaky for the first few days after using leather care products??? Anyway, I am still gonna use the conditioner because I like the smell.
Old 04-17-08, 10:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disguy409
anyone verify this?
Sure!

This is right from the factory parts book. It clearly shows that semi-aniline leather is the standard for all 2006-2008 model IS's. They did not change the quality of the leather for 2008.

Old 04-17-08, 10:59 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Sure!

This is right from the factory parts book. It clearly shows that semi-aniline leather is the standard for all 2006-2008 model IS's. They did not change the quality of the leather for 2008.

That is a great post!!! Thanks for the input and now we can all sleep easy!!!
Old 05-04-08, 12:08 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Sure!

All is an *ALL* 2IS or All as in All 2IS with perforated leather seats only?
Old 05-04-08, 01:44 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To all you people that INSISTED that the IS COULDN'T POSSIBLY have Semi Aniline leather because Semi aniline too good a quality for an IS..
enjoy

Old 05-04-08, 02:29 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
To all you people that INSISTED that the IS COULDN'T POSSIBLY have Semi Aniline leather because Semi aniline too good a quality for an IS..
enjoy

Im glad I didnt conditioned my seats in vain haha

and at first I thought that was an oyster

Quick Reply: No More Semi Annaline Leather in 2008's