IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ok, so I am a little ticked off with my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08 | 05:49 PM
dpash
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok, so I am a little ticked off with my dealer

So I bought my IS a little over two weeks ago. So far Ive really enjoyed it. Much diff then my s2000, but different in a good way. My second car has all the fun toys and such, so when I bought my IS the only thing i did was get bigger rims and satellite...or so I thought.

I did my research on the car pretty extensively. Like any purchase. When i narrowed it down to what i wanted, i would go to Lexus.com and build my car. Not expecting this to be an exact science, but to give me a rough idea. The only option I really wanted on the car was satellite. I have nav in the other car and in south florida its a complete waste to me. Coupled with the fact that I own a Garmin and and iphone, in the rate situation I am lost, dont have to worry much.

Built my car online, and selected Sirius Satellite. *0.00 see dealer. Ok.
In picking out my car with the salesmen (which btw, i made this so easy on him, i was in and out in less then 2 hours) I said look. I know the more i spend the more you make, but i dont want any frills. Ive researched this car, and im fine with everything but i want bigger rims, auto, and satellite.

He basically pulled the car up. I took him on the test drive to where i wanted, which took 20 minutes on a very private yet winding road. Once i was done I said, ok this is the car i want. However, I want sirius satellite. This is what he said.

"Lexus has equipped this car for both Sirius and XM. So you dont have to worry about which "brain" is in the car. The car has the fin and the satellite option on the dash, thats all you need to worry about. When you get home just call Sirius and give the the registration number"

Ive done this countless times with other cars, so i know the routine. I said, so "just call them when i get home".

"yup, pretty easy"

um, yah, no. So we all know how this story pans out, and i feel pretty misled. I would have still purchased the car regardless, of satellite or not, but when i make it so easy on him, i would appreciate honesty on one of two maybe three questions i asked. I told him, "Bob, if this car is what i think it is, im going to be a very easy sale for you. just please make sure theres no hidden fees or etc. make sure when you tell me a price its a final price and if you dont know please find out, i wont be upset." i said this almost verbatim as i used to be in sales and dont like to waste my time or theirs. I try to be very easy.

So yah, i know i can buy a satellite add on for $300 or so. But then i have to install myself or else pay and that will probably be another $200.

Anyone think i should complain to management. i went to a sales manager today to tell him and he said, yah no car comes with satellite and our salesmen dont say they do.

Or should i end this rant, and suck it up and pay $500. Im really irritated.
Old 04-15-08 | 06:40 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

If it wasn't on the paperwork, the stealership is probably going to deny deny deny until you both go blue in the face. I doubt your complaining will get you anywhere.

That being said, if you truly feel that pissed off about it, you could keep going, but all that will probably wind up happening is the salesman gets fired and they might buy your sirius hardware.
Old 04-15-08 | 06:54 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Sorry about that, dealers will say and do anything to make the sale! You said you researched the car heavily but obviously not that much. NEVER believe the dealer.

My roommates friend bought an IS (old lady). She asked if it had auto folding side mirrors. The salesman said yes of course. When she got home she asked me how to work the mirrors. I told her the only way to fold them is manually.
Old 04-15-08 | 07:02 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Rule #1 - NEVER believe anything a salesman tells you.
Rule#2 - ALWAYS verify everything the car has or doesn't have BEFORE you
buy it.
Rule #3 - Most salesman know less about the cars they're selling than we do
(or at least those of us who do our homework before buying).
Old 04-15-08 | 07:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I'd make it clear to the salesman and sales manager that you plan to express your dissatisfaction at being misled on this point by giving him and the dealership poor ratings on the survey that Lexus mails new owners. Both the dealership and salespeople take that survey VERY seriously, and I'd be surprised if they didn't do something (perhaps sell you the module at cost w/ free install?) to make you happy.
Old 04-15-08 | 08:12 PM
dpash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
I'd make it clear to the salesman and sales manager that you plan to express your dissatisfaction at being misled on this point by giving him and the dealership poor ratings on the survey that Lexus mails new owners. Both the dealership and salespeople take that survey VERY seriously, and I'd be surprised if they didn't do something (perhaps sell you the module at cost w/ free install?) to make you happy.
I did research the car, but i didnt get fanatical about every aspect however. I researched mainly the car itself, and not so much every little extra feature since its hard to match up what you want with whats sitting on the lot.
My bad.

I know Sirius was important, but when i went to build my Lexus online it gave me an option to have Sirius and then *see dealer. Then i when i saw the car i saw the fin, saw the button for sat, and i guess put too much trust in this guy when he told me it was exactly like my infiniti G35 (he was a former infiniti salesmen) and that it was a simple phone call and no extra purchasing required. There was no hesitation, when he said it, he flowed very naturally as if i asked him "does the car come with four wheels"

He wasnt a great salesmen, actually the finance guy was amazingly cool and so was the finance manager, but the salesmen was ehhh. Granted he didnt have much to do, but i didnt expect him to F up the one thing i asked.

I would hate to use the survey against them, but i think thats what i might have to do since he sorta f'd up the one thing i asked about. Sales guy obviously was not there today when i went, the one manager did call him on his cell phone and he obviously changed his story real quick. He did however say that the sales guy would give me a call. My parents live locally and might be purchasing a LS from them, so lets see if i might be able to use some leverage here.

When i bought my infiniti and gave my salesmen perfect scores, he sent me an amazing basket filled with cheeses, chocolate and crackers along with a gas card for $50. So i guess these surveys help out big time with bonuses.
Old 04-15-08 | 08:15 PM
dpash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
To be fair, i forgot to mention that the sales manager today said he "might" be able to talk to his boss and see if they could offer the unit at cost. I asked how much cost was......$600. I said, what about if i just want the unit and i will install...he said "no its $600 for the unit and we wont charge for install"

Bollocks.

I will wait to hear from the sales guy i guess, first.
Old 04-15-08 | 08:52 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dpash
To be fair, i forgot to mention that the sales manager today said he "might" be able to talk to his boss and see if they could offer the unit at cost. I asked how much cost was......$600. I said, what about if i just want the unit and i will install...he said "no its $600 for the unit and we wont charge for install"

Bollocks.

That's double the retail price charged by one of our Club Lexus sponsors. (And you can get 10% off that price by using the site discount code)

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...l.asp?id=90062
Old 04-15-08 | 09:11 PM
stvn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
buy it.
LOL great rules.
Old 04-16-08 | 05:50 AM
suorum
Pole Position

Man!! First thing! Why the guy told you to go home and subscribe to Sirius yourself? Every single new car on the market (even my ex Civic - 18K cheaper than any IS) came with a 3-month free subscription to Satellite Radio. My IS came with a 3-month free subscription to XM-radio+traffic!! So man, starting from that point salesman sucked! I would of course use the survey to let them know you got fooled by the salesman. I mean, you are not buying a $2K car. Here you went, sat, talked, demanded something you wanted, they said yes it is included in YOUR CAR (the one you just test drove) and.......SURPRISE!! It was not! Reason enough for you to fight for a free Sirius kit. Do not accept anything but full satisfaction. That's their job.
Old 04-16-08 | 06:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by suorum
Man!! First thing! Why the guy told you to go home and subscribe to Sirius yourself? Every single new car on the market (even my ex Civic - 18K cheaper than any IS) came with a 3-month free subscription to Satellite Radio. My IS came with a 3-month free subscription to XM-radio+traffic!! So man, starting from that point salesman sucked! I would of course use the survey to let them know you got fooled by the salesman. I mean, you are not buying a $2K car. Here you went, sat, talked, demanded something you wanted, they said yes it is included in YOUR CAR (the one you just test drove) and.......SURPRISE!! It was not! Reason enough for you to fight for a free Sirius kit. Do not accept anything but full satisfaction. That's their job.

Not to pick nits- but the OEM Nav in the IS doesn't do traffic.

And I had to activate my 3 month free XM trial myself (though I imagine in some places the dealer makes the phone call for you so you don't notice this step)

But to the orig. poster- yeah, if he tells you it's $600 "cost" I'd get that in writing from him, and then call Lexus corporate and explain how they've now lied to you twice and have them rip this guy a new one.
Old 04-16-08 | 06:38 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly,

I would buy the unit (Sirius Tuner Box) from Sewell and install yourself. The dealer is trying to play games with you in order to make you think they are doing you the favor. There is a DIY for the install in the trunk. This is an unfortunate incident, but it is very common. I think the sales rep either did not honestly know you needed additional hardware, or he was all about lying in order for you to purchase the vehicle. If their was no "We Owe" form of paperwork, the dealer is free of further action and most stick firm. You do always have the survey as Bichon stated, but you don't want to burn to many bridges if you intend to obtain your service at that dealer. If you lived by me, I would install your satellite box for free just to make your aggravation go away from the dealer.
Old 04-16-08 | 07:14 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dpash

Bollocks.

$600 is about 100% OVER full blown retail!!
MSRP on XM (fit kit and tuner) is $299.00 minus labor. Believe me, dealer cost is MUCH less.
Old 04-16-08 | 07:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

buy it.
+1.... I know there are a couple good honest car salespeople out there but VASTLY outnumbered by hacks...
Old 04-16-08 | 07:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

buy it.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I am a little ticked off with my dealer