IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Second thoughts about is350

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 09:58 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I hate it when people say 'All new cars have rattles'; it is total BS.
Oh yeah? Put me behind a "non-rattle" car on the horrible LA streets/highways then I'll make sure that car gets rattles after 30 minutes...

EVERY CAR has potential to develope rattles, it's all about the way you drive and the roads you drive on.
Old 04-16-08, 10:02 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
Oh yeah? Put me behind a "non-rattle" car on the horrible LA streets/highways then I'll make sure that car gets rattles after 30 minutes...

EVERY CAR has potential to develope rattles, it's all about the way you drive and the roads you drive on.
I beg to differ. I live in New York, and my parents Lexus has yet to develop rattles, and neither has my friends Malibu. New York roads are even worse than LA due to adverse weather conditions and road erosion. A car should be getting rattles as a sign of age, not prone.

Its a Lexus, not a POS.
Old 04-16-08, 10:04 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
I beg to differ. I live in New York, and my parents Lexus has yet to develop rattles, and neither has my friends Malibu.
Like I said, put me in those cars then I'll make sure they get rattles...
Old 04-16-08, 10:08 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Yes, it is true that no car is build as a single solid forged piece of metal, and can develop rattles eventually. However, you saying that 'every car has rattles' is not the same thing, and frankly, is just ignorant. So I say again, not every car has rattles, and I'm not the only one who has had one of these rattle-free cars. So, until you can give me some empirical evidence to the contrary, I will keep saying that you are wrong.
Old 04-16-08, 10:10 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Like I said, put me in those cars then I'll make sure they get rattles...
If you were reading the rest of my post, instead of being ignorant, you would have seen that i stated The roads in NY are worse than LA and WE HAVE NO RATTLES HERE, K THANKS BYE
Old 04-16-08, 05:10 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
If you were reading the rest of my post, instead of being ignorant, you would have seen that i stated The roads in NY are worse than LA and WE HAVE NO RATTLES HERE, K THANKS BYE
bay area has worse roads than LA
Old 04-16-08, 06:42 PM
solspeed
Driver

sound like a grl..LOL IMO. Just get the things fix, and there wont be any rattle noise. It not like the car stop working and left you stranded thousand miles away from home. You should buy a BMW , Then you'll have more then just a remorse, hahha
Old 04-16-08, 06:45 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things you need to keep in mind...

1. Every car has rattles, it all comes down to the dealer's commitment to fix them.

2. Rattles != Falling apart.
Wrong on #1 - this is the first car I've had in years that rattles. A Lexus should not rattle, period. I sure wish everyone would stop explaining these problems away...it sure validates Lexus' reasoning on cost cutting with these cars.

Check out pre-2006 Lexus models. Any one of them. They DO NOT RATTLE. Talk about devolution.
Old 04-16-08, 06:54 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just turn up the stereo!!
Old 04-16-08, 07:08 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

My car doesn't rattle

Of course I have just jinxed myself and tomorrow it will develop all of them
Old 04-16-08, 08:38 PM
chums
Lead Lap

its true, the service advisor has to hear the noise before actually writing a repair order to have the tsib installed. they wont usually install it even if the noise isnt there yet because from a business point of view, its taking away from their potential sales, and its putting a tech on warranty pay.

if the advisor couldnt hear it, why not just get another advisor to go on a drive with you? maybe he could hear the noise then, and follow-up by writing a repair order.

again, OP, youre right to be concerned with the rattling issues in your vehicle. thats why lexus has offered to fix the problem for free to convenience you as much as possible. to understand these issues is what test drives are for, and to handle these issues is what tsib's are for glad you posted your concerns!

ps. dont know if id argue over whose roads are worse...im happy mine are in fine condition!!
Old 04-16-08, 09:20 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle9k
Here is my situation.

Just bought a new 2008 IS 350 a month and a half ago. Enjoyed the car until now. Recently I had to bring my car into the dealer to get the interior repaired beause there was a rattling noise coming from the right side of the interior. Found out there was something loose inside and it was rolling around. Got that issue fixed and a week after that there continues to be an annoying rattle coming from the right side near the glove box. Bringing in the car tomorrow to the dealer to get it repaired, but this is getting annoying.

This is my first Lexus and I'm not very excited about the vehicle and lexus has lost a new customer. I hate being "that guy" but it seems like it's too early for things to start falling apart (1300 miles).

The vehicle is currently being financed and I want to get rid of it. What would you guys suggest? Should I try to sell it privately? Sell it back to the dealer? I don't want another is350 next time around. Educate me. Thanks!
I am curious to know what other brands you have owned that you purchased new that had absolutely no little annoying issues like rattles

this is a very very very very small very fixable "problem" if you can even call it that...Toyota is a very very reliable brand and builds quality vehicles that last ...a dash rattle and a rattle in the glove box is hardly a reason to sell the whole car...

it actually sounds quite baby-ish...sorry but is this like your first car or something?
Old 04-17-08, 04:25 AM
VF84
Pole Position

Originally Posted by inxexisten
bay area has worse roads than LA
yeah, it's pretty crappy in sf. ever drive down 6th street?

but the acura tsx doesn't rattle there. and neither does my w202. seems as tho more than a few people here have issues with the dash area, in addition to some of the tsib lexus issued... would be logical to conclude that it is inherent in the 2IS, and lexus dropped the ball there. i wonder if the 1IS had so many complaints. anyone know?

let's just all agree la, sf, ny, all have pretty bad roads. in fact, i've blown a few tires because of potholes in the bay area.

we should all wish for glass surfaces like nevada or wyoming
Old 04-17-08, 05:27 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I hate it when people say 'All new cars have rattles'; it is total BS. Just because you have never had a car without rattles, don't make generalizations about all cars....because some of us have had better.
What car doesn't have any rattles?

Koz
Old 04-17-08, 05:29 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Well....like everyones been saying. Just get it fixed. No car will be perfect. You could just be those 1 our of 100,000 people that get it(or something like that). I got an 08' IS350 and have had no rattles in my car. It always shocks me when someone is complaining about the rattle. I had my car for 3 months and its a daily driver. I currently have 2,200 miles on it and no problems yet. Potholes here are also horrible. Its like between every stop light here there is 3 - 5 potholes. I'm not saying you should keep your car if you don't want to, but there will always be a problem with a car if the ratio is 1 out of 100,00(just an example). So.....just don't be that ONE(LoL!! If your lucky)!

Quick Reply: Second thoughts about is350