Second thoughts about is350

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 07:14 PM
Eagle9k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second thoughts about is350

Here is my situation.

Just bought a new 2008 IS 350 a month and a half ago. Enjoyed the car until now. Recently I had to bring my car into the dealer to get the interior repaired beause there was a rattling noise coming from the right side of the interior. Found out there was something loose inside and it was rolling around. Got that issue fixed and a week after that there continues to be an annoying rattle coming from the right side near the glove box. Bringing in the car tomorrow to the dealer to get it repaired, but this is getting annoying.

This is my first Lexus and I'm not very excited about the vehicle and lexus has lost a new customer. I hate being "that guy" but it seems like it's too early for things to start falling apart (1300 miles).

The vehicle is currently being financed and I want to get rid of it. What would you guys suggest? Should I try to sell it privately? Sell it back to the dealer? I don't want another is350 next time around. Educate me. Thanks!
Old 04-15-08, 07:23 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Give the dealer a chance to fix everything! No car is going to be perfect, and Lexus is no exception. Your car has a few rattles, that's no reason to sell it! That would be like buying a house, and a month later finding out that the sink leaks, so you want to sell the house! Just fix the dam thing and move on with your life.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 04-16-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 07:33 PM
ALLCHILL
Rookie

that rattle is notorious in the IS's. the dealer will eventually find the source and fix it. my dealer referenced 5 different areas where they had to install sticky foam around clips hitting against the plastic in the dash. good luck!
Old 04-15-08, 07:59 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you get another car, and it has another problem are you gonna sell it too?? no car is perfect
Old 04-15-08, 07:59 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

yeah, unfortunately this dash rattle in the IS has been a huge issue, quite early to give up though

and pfft, bump the music and those rattles go away
Old 04-15-08, 08:08 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle9k
lexus has lost a new customer... too early for things to start falling apart (1300 miles).... vehicle is currently being financed and I want to get rid of it...
Sounds like your not offerring the whole story here. A "rattle" problem and you're done with the car and brand? I'm sensing a serious case of buyer's remorse. You'll find out soon enough that your options at this point are highly limited. The dealer will rape you on a buyback. Not likely to do that much better this early in the private market either (your car isn't "new" enough for those looking to buy a fresh one, and not "used" enough for those looking to buy after someone else has taken the depreciation hit). If you made a decent down payment, you may be lucky and find someone to assume your "attractive" monthly finance payments, but then you'd be out the up-front money.

Alternatively, get a grip, communicate your concerns to your dealer, don't accept anything less than a completely satisfactory resolution to those concerns, and enjoy what is by far one of the best cars-for-the-money out there, bar none!

Just sayin'...
Old 04-15-08, 08:58 PM
Eagle9k
Driver School Candidate

I'm sensing a serious case of buyer's remorse.
You hit it right on the spot. You're right, buyer's remorse has been playing a big role. It's probably because the IS350 has been the biggest purchase I've made in a while and my expectations were too high. I understand no vehicle is perfect. I am bringing in the vehicle tomorrow morning to get it repaired again and I agree with you that I shouldn't accept anything less than a complete satisfactory resolution.

It is going to take me awhile to even think about purchasing another lexus though... I guess for me, first impression is important and no problems equals no headaches. I just need to take some aspirin to cure those headaches.
Old 04-15-08, 09:24 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Keep the car and stay adamant about getting these issues solved. Eventually, they will be solved or you can lemon law your car perhaps.

You will definetely not regret such a decision to keep the car...
Old 04-15-08, 09:29 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll trade you my is250 for your 350. i don't have any too many rattles.
Old 04-15-08, 09:56 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

No car is without it's issues. Rattles are cosmetic flaws and can be fixed, but what really should be of concern is mechanical quality. I bought my 250 base model cos i just wanted to own a luxury car and knowing Lexus quality (mechanically) is up there with Toyota if not more, there wasn't any doubt to buy it. At the end of the day, what you pay is what you want to get out. I never expect more than what i paid for.
Old 04-15-08, 10:12 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Two things you need to keep in mind...

1. Every car has rattles, it all comes down to the dealer's commitment to fix them.

2. Rattles != Falling apart.
Old 04-15-08, 10:26 PM
dragon1992
Driver School Candidate

Since you are financing and seem to not be able to afford a car guaranteed not to rattle... sell your house and get a Rolls Royce Phantom... My parents have a S class and it has rattles and you don't even want to know how many rattles their bmw m5 and porsche gt2 have... well their only car that doesn't rattle (yet) is the Bentley, but that car is nothing special... bentleys are overrated...

Last edited by dragon1992; 04-15-08 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 10:33 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

let the dealer fix it.....no cars in the world that it wont rattle.....

I brought mine last time and they fixed...i am a happy camper
Old 04-16-08, 02:50 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Keep in mind that the IS was designed to be sold for as little as 30K (33K?). Yours was more expensive due to the engine upgrade and whatever options you chose with it, but it is still Lexus' entry-level offering.

My dealer bent over backwards to make sure I was happy with my purchase. They even fixed minor things that I didn't notice for quite a while after taking delivery. I'd say give them a chance to make it right since you're already somewhat committed to the car. As mentioned, you'll only take a hit financially if you bail out now.
Old 04-16-08, 03:08 AM
VF84
Pole Position

yeah, but how come my $30k tsx doesn't have any rattles, took delivery at 2 miles, now past 20k. neither does my w202. heck, even the in-law's 01 accord doesn't rattle.

however, my is350 has rattles intermittently all over the dash. took delivery at over 20 miles and still has only 2k miles. granted, lexus had to fix a scratched nav screen even before the dealer got it (or something like that). still..

besides, i thought rattles were the domain of volvo ... like my wagon hahahaha

Last edited by VF84; 04-16-08 at 03:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Second thoughts about is350