IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone buy EBAY rotors? slotted/drilled

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 11:36 AM
cm09578
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone buy EBAY rotors? slotted/drilled

wanted to know if anyone has these....any input or pics?
Old 04-17-08, 11:43 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cm09578
wanted to know if anyone has these....any input or pics?
The feel with those slotted or cross drilled rotors will be rougher than OEM vented. The pads will also feel like they are being run through a cheese grader. This is from my experience and I only say this because you may not like the feel on your Lexus. Even on some high performance cars you can feel it, but it is to be expected. Surprisingly, the S55 AMG's don't feel too bad with them on OEM, but that is Mercedes for you.
Old 04-17-08, 11:48 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be very careful about buying cheap drilled rotors if I was you. One of the biggest problems with cheap drilled rotors is they have a tendency to crack around the edges of the holes, and if the cracks get big enough, you'll have a disintegrated rotor. Now imagine going 75mph when your rotor goes!
Old 04-17-08, 12:00 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I'd be very careful about buying cheap drilled rotors if I was you. One of the biggest problems with cheap drilled rotors is they have a tendency to crack around the edges of the holes, and if the cracks get big enough, you'll have a disintegrated rotor. Now imagine going 75mph when your rotor goes!
Good call on that, I had known of this happening with some buddies in the past. This can easily occur even if you are light on the brakes and not dragging the car at the track.
Old 04-17-08, 12:02 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

yeah- stay away from cheap "drilled" rotors, they tend to crack and warp badly because they don't dissipate heat evenly.
What you want are rotors that have the holes cast into them, not drilled into them, if you really want the racey look of drilled rotors. I don't think anyone makes them for the IS.
As far as the "feel" of going over a cheese grader that Brian231 is reporting, I don't know about that. I have owned a couple of cars that came from the factory with drilled rotors and have put drilled rotors on a couple of cars and never have I had the "cheese grader" feeling.
My experience with cheap drilled rotors is that they warped and cracked so badly that they went straight into the garbage and replaced with OEM vented rotors.
Old 04-17-08, 12:22 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Giggity
yeah- stay away from cheap "drilled" rotors, they tend to crack and warp badly because they don't dissipate heat evenly.
What you want are rotors that have the holes cast into them, not drilled into them, if you really want the racey look of drilled rotors. I don't think anyone makes them for the IS.
As far as the "feel" of going over a cheese grader that Brian231 is reporting, I don't know about that. I have owned a couple of cars that came from the factory with drilled rotors and have put drilled rotors on a couple of cars and never have I had the "cheese grader" feeling.
My experience with cheap drilled rotors is that they warped and cracked so badly that they went straight into the garbage and replaced with OEM vented rotors.
I guess some of the better rotors that are cast may be less suseptable to that cheese grading feel. Also a good point is that you illustrated the necessity for a casted rotor that was not drilled after the production.
Old 04-17-08, 01:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What you actually want are rotors without holes in them.

More mass=better stopping.

Drilled is a ricey show gimmick that weakens the rotor and reduces braking ability.

If you're gonna track the car too slotted is ok, but otherwise stick to solid rotors.
Old 04-17-08, 01:47 PM
almacruel
Pole Position

I would rather save the money and upgrade to the F-sport brakes