IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

loud cracking sound from roof over driveways...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 12:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default loud cracking sound from roof over driveways...

Anyone ever get a very loud cracking sound from the roof when articulating up a slanted driveway? It almost sounds like a loud pop or crack of metal. I had to get out and check the sunroof to be sure it hadn't cracked. I'd hate to think the structure of my new car is shifting that much over an uneven surface...
Old 04-18-08, 12:54 AM
stkiss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same issue w/ mine. and i actually don't know where it's coming from
Old 04-18-08, 02:49 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

it's a problem on many ISx50's. take it to your dealer's service manager and explain to them that you are experiencing this and they'll set up and appointment and get it checked out for free. my car had similar issues but the cracking noise was coming from the windshield
Old 04-18-08, 06:50 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of members actually had either there sunroof glass w/seal replaced or a new headliner. Also, one member had a defect in the welding on his rear pillar by the back window.
Old 04-18-08, 07:06 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

I even heard that someone went to the "stealership" and they told him that its the sound of the body of the car "flexing" when its going up an incline lol.....? im still confused about that one lmao
Old 04-18-08, 07:15 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think its possible to be from Flexing.I have it every so often but only going up my driveway. never have it happen anywhere else.
Old 04-18-08, 07:34 AM
shn7926
Driver School Candidate

Default problem solved

ok, here's the deal. I had the exact same problem. had it at the dealership several times and they could not duplicate problem. my power steering went out a couple of weeks back and i had the car towed to the dealership. in addition to the power steering problem, i had a written list of other things i wanted addressed, of which this was one. i had a problem with my headliner so they had to remove and replace it anyway, so when the headliner was out of the car they roadtested it and found the pop noise. turns out it was the area where the moonroof bolts to the roof. here is exact wording from service ticket
"Clunking or pop sound from rooftop area when moving slowly and wheels turned. see notes. poor fit. Remove headliner and roadtest over uneven surface with wheels turned to find problem area. R&R moon roof and add padding between moon roof housing and roof at bolts. reinstall headliner

this completly fixed the problem. hope this helps.
Old 04-18-08, 07:37 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a feeling this was the problem spot! Thanks for the feedback and info!
Old 04-18-08, 07:48 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Good! Now I know what to tell them to fix if it happens to me lol.....this is why I love this place
Old 04-18-08, 07:56 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
Good! Now I know what to tell them to fix if it happens to me lol.....this is why I love this place
By the time you purchase the IS, they will be on the 4gen (LOL)!!! Their will be no headliner because the car will be a glass bubble that hovers and still needs red-outs.
Old 04-18-08, 07:58 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brian231
By the time you purchase the IS, they will be on the 4gen (LOL)!!! Their will be no headliner because the car will be a glass bubble that hovers and still needs red-outs.
Yea and im gonna park it right on top of your roof!!
Old 04-18-08, 08:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
it's a problem on many ISx50's. take it to your dealer's service manager and explain to them that you are experiencing this and they'll set up and appointment and get it checked out for free. my car had similar issues but the cracking noise was coming from the windshield
Good to know.

I just started hearing it recently.

Usually happens when I turn to enter a driveway. It sounds like it's coming from the trunk, but I have nothing in the trunk, and I made sure the spare was bolted tight.

I'll address it by my next oil change...
Old 04-18-08, 08:39 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Good to know.

I just started hearing it recently.

Usually happens when I turn to enter a driveway. It sounds like it's coming from the trunk, but I have nothing in the trunk, and I made sure the spare was bolted tight.

I'll address it by my next oil change...
it happened to me too but I was entering a gas station with an extremely steep driveway. mostly SUV's and truckers use that station but I barely made it up the incline while hearing that crack noise @_@
Old 04-19-08, 01:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
it happened to me too but I was entering a gas station with an extremely steep driveway. mostly SUV's and truckers use that station but I barely made it up the incline while hearing that crack noise @_@
Funny, mine first happened entering into a steep gas station driveway too! lol
I just want to make sure are we all talking about the same thing...a loud cracking sound coming from above your head, or a little behind? If I were to estimate it's location, it sounds like to the left of the back side of the sunroof.
While we are on the topic, I am very nervous about having my headliner removed. The last time I had work done on a rattling sunroof, the thing leaked for years and the headliner never fit perfectly back into it's seams. (This was Audi). You know the more they take apart a car, the more rattles can be created... or at least I hope it's different with Lexus. As it is now, it's only done this noise twice. First time loud, second time mild. As long as it isn't a safety/structural weakness (is it?), I wouldn't mind leaving it alone for now. Thoughts?
Old 04-19-08, 04:41 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

it's not a structural problem so you're fine. it's just annoying

Quick Reply: loud cracking sound from roof over driveways...