IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinions really wanted (concerned about soft paint and rattles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 07:26 PM
ascot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions really wanted (concerned about soft paint and rattles)

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to sell my BMW 330I due to too many issues with it leaving me unsatisfied. I very much want to buy a new 2008 IS350, but I've read that there are some issues they have too. One being a rattle in the drivers door that seems to plague many people that there isn't a fix for. Second is that the paint is very thin and chips and scratches very easy. Beautiful paint is very important to me, and rattles are not wanted. Are there any other area's that a potential new buyer should know about. Thanks
Old 04-18-08, 07:29 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Paint is thin and does chip easily, clear bra highly recomended. I got my IS350 in September of 05 so it was one of the early models off the assembly line, I've only had one rattle issue from the sunroof that was fixed by the dealer.
Old 04-18-08, 07:41 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

our paint is very soft...so just be prepare to face some swirls and easy scratches...
Old 04-18-08, 07:44 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

There are TSIB are rattle noises. I had it done and it fixed my rattle, some cars had it up on the front dash, some were on the side near the doors. It's fixable.

As for paint, there is no better way to protect other than getting clear bra. Aerotect is a very well known company.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 04-18-08, 08:35 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only had one rattle and it was fixed easily...
Btw GET a clear bra... I went months without a mark on my paint thinking I was safe from it happening to me, but one truck screwed up the front end's paint =/... I had to repaint the hood and bumper

Last edited by darkdream; 04-18-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 08:37 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

2nd on the clear bra. I've had my car 18 months and the clear bra has helped a lot.
Old 04-18-08, 08:40 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

clear bra... my front bumper looks like trash right now because i didn't do it
Old 04-18-08, 08:54 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Batmobile
clear bra... my front bumper looks like trash right now because i didn't do it
Yeah sux bro. I learned the hard way. My other car is a black '02 Accord EX and the front end is wasted. There are even a few tiny rust spots from deep chips on the hood that I had to rub the rust off and put touch up on. They weren't big, but still sux. The front end looks sand blasted.

When I bought my Sapphire IS I had the clear bra installed within 1 week.
Old 04-18-08, 10:10 PM
chiroppa
Driver School Candidate

i just bought my 08 is250 comming from an e46 coupe.. i've had the car for about 3 weeks now.. i was thinking exactly what you were with the bimmer.. too many stupid little things would break on the car.. i got fed up and decided to come back to a japanese car..

anyways.. from my 3 weeks with the car.. it's been exactly what i expected a lexus to be.. i haven'theard a rattle anywhere and the car feels well built.. the car is more comfortable than the bimmer (great seats).. the interior blows my old e46 away..

that being said.. i can't help but miss my bimmer.. the is just doesn't handle like the old e46 did.. i'm trying not to but there's a part of me that regrets not spending alittle more for an e92 coupe.. oh well.. it's a 2 year lease so..

anyways.. i went alittle off on my post but to answer your question.. it's a lexus.. its been bulletproof so far..
Old 04-18-08, 10:53 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

for the 2 reasons above, it's pretty hard to find a car that you are happy with.....
Old 04-19-08, 07:51 AM
RSMDR
Driver School Candidate

Default Squeeks, Creeks & Rattles...

Need I say more? I've had my '07 IS250 in on 7 occasions for Dash & Center Stack. They've done the dash TSIB's including the new clips. For the Center Stack, they've tried insulating it but the problems still exist. It seems like the plastic used on the center area trim around the vents / radio area is too thin, if the care sits in the sun for a bit, when you put in the A/C, all you hear is creaking / popping from the trim.

Oh, and let's not forget about the visors. Mine have been replaced 3x and they still creak.

On the up side, mechanically the car has been issue free.

Needless to say, Lexus Corporate wants the car at the dealership next week to address the issues.

Lexus, The Pursuit of Mediocrity....
Old 04-19-08, 08:11 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hihi410
There are TSIB are rattle noises. I had it done and it fixed my rattle, some cars had it up on the front dash, some were on the side near the doors. It's fixable.

As for paint, there is no better way to protect other than getting clear bra. Aerotect is a very well known company.

Good luck on your purchase!
+1, I commonly play touch-up Dr. on weekends, but I should have got the clear bra from the start. As for rattles, I had mine fixed perfectly and I am happy. I do enjoy this car better than any other I have owned.
Old 04-19-08, 08:13 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RSMDR
Need I say more? I've had my '07 IS250 in on 7 occasions for Dash & Center Stack. They've done the dash TSIB's including the new clips. For the Center Stack, they've tried insulating it but the problems still exist. It seems like the plastic used on the center area trim around the vents / radio area is too thin, if the care sits in the sun for a bit, when you put in the A/C, all you hear is creaking / popping from the trim.

Oh, and let's not forget about the visors. Mine have been replaced 3x and they still creak.

On the up side, mechanically the car has been issue free.

Needless to say, Lexus Corporate wants the car at the dealership next week to address the issues.

Lexus, The Pursuit of Mediocrity....
The plastic in the vent area is my gripe about the whole creaking issue. I guess they use a felt on this to insulate and I only heard mine creak on a couple of occasions since the TSIB, but I have to admit, it is better than pre TSIB when it did become annoying. We'll see how the summer pans out with A/C usage (LOL).
Old 04-19-08, 09:12 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

if your posting from the bayarea ca. Stevens creek Lexus service is top notch and one of the best looking service dept IMO. I say this because any car you buy will have something that needs to be address. It comes down to the Dealer and how they will handle it...Lexus bends over backwards to make you a happy camper. BUY THE LEXUS and join the brotherhood...
Old 04-19-08, 09:48 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Thin paint is a fact of life for all new cars, in an effort to be green all manufacturers have gone to acrylic based paints over urethane based paints becuase the slovents are more enviornmentally friendly (and a lot cheaper).
As far as rattles go, I have to scratch my head and wonder about the people here who complain about this stuff, sure I hear the occasional creak or rattle, it's a car and it doesn't matter how expensive or who makes it.

Quick Reply: Opinions really wanted (concerned about soft paint and rattles)