IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

funny smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 07:59 PM
Duckiez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funny smell

i notice that everytime i drive fast at higher rpm about 3-4 minutes later my car starts to smell funny. i can smell it from inside the car, and i also got out and smell the muffler. it smells like stinky fart. my friends always think that i farted. i don't know wat it is... has this happenned to your lexus isXXX??? can it be fix. let me know..
Old 04-19-08, 08:21 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL

I dont know but when I set it to outside circulation, it smells like wet mulch aka rotten food.

But its spring so maybe its from people mulching their garden.. but then again I dont smell anything when I'm outside... and I just got my filter changed like last month lol

Describe that fart smell maybe? Because farts smells differently too lol.... base on you said high rpm the only smells that comes to mind is either burning hand brakes or a broken belt.. which is like burning rubber... then again some farts smells like that too
Old 04-19-08, 09:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Duckiez
i notice that everytime i drive fast at higher rpm about 3-4 minutes later my car starts to smell funny. i can smell it from inside the car, and i also got out and smell the muffler. it smells like stinky fart. my friends always think that i farted. i don't know wat it is... has this happenned to your lexus isXXX??? can it be fix. let me know..
Check your engine bay, especially your air intake. You may have had a rodent or something crawl into a warm engine bay, and "got stuck"...
Old 04-19-08, 09:34 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

high sulfur content in gas
Old 04-19-08, 09:37 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Check your engine bay, especially your air intake. You may have had a rodent or something crawl into a warm engine bay, and "got stuck"...
EWWWWWWWWWW can that really happen
Old 04-19-08, 09:38 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Are you shure you didnt just fart? I meen, it happens, we all do it. Hold on a second... See, I just farted, its ok, no one is going to think any less of you.
Old 04-20-08, 12:14 AM
.IS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
Are you shure you didnt just fart? I meen, it happens, we all do it. Hold on a second... See, I just farted, its ok, no one is going to think any less of you.
LOL I can't stop laughing
Old 04-20-08, 01:15 AM
Duckiez
Driver School Candidate

that is Hilarious....... no if i fart i would sy that i farted. not burning rubber either. one of the member said "high sulfur content in gas" it could be. but exactly wat is meant by that?
Old 04-20-08, 01:32 AM
ton3r
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
high sulfur content in gas
theres a tsb for this i think? same thing happens to my car lol
Old 04-20-08, 01:59 AM
Jenomic
Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
LOL

I dont know but when I set it to outside circulation, it smells like wet mulch aka rotten food.

But its spring so maybe its from people mulching their garden.. but then again I dont smell anything when I'm outside... and I just got my filter changed like last month lol
I have the same problem!!!! Wth?
Old 04-20-08, 02:42 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it could be people in front of you farting. Maybe you should stop driving in the back..
Old 04-20-08, 03:48 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
HAHAHA!!! ROFL!!! LMAO!!! I thought that was some hilarious stuff. I was all curious and serious reading in this post then all of a sudden I see this post.

As for the smell....never came across that problem before. Maybe new engine smell?!
Old 04-20-08, 04:13 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pushing the "fart button". It's the one that has the picture of a person with what looks like fumes in front. Pushing that button will eject all fart smells from your car. I use this button when the bf farts in the car. (so gross, I know. There should be a button to eject him when he farts. LMAO!)

On a more serious note, I do remember reading some thread about this fart smell a while back and I think there was a TSIB out on it. The "fart" button engages your charcoal filter and it eliminates any bad smell from inside the cabin.
Old 04-20-08, 05:00 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that fart smell, it comes from the A/C. got used to it since I drive alone
Old 04-20-08, 10:13 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

High sulfur contect in gasoline will make sulfur oxide emissions (SOx) and that is what you are smelling. Switch to premium gas and try different gas stations. Changing any components in the vehicle won't fix anything. The problem is the gasoline.

Quick Reply: funny smell