IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Depressing brake before engine is on...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 12:48 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Depressing brake before engine is on...

I was taught ions ago this was bad for the system. Of course we have to now to get the car started. So what's the breakdown on how this no longer damages the system? I am sure there is some technology that keeps things right. Just curious.
Old 04-21-08, 12:59 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

How could it possibly damage the system to press the brake pedal before starting the car? It cant... The vaccuum booster holds enough vaccuum to apply the brakes 2-3 times after the engine is turns off or dies, so if you push the brake with the car off, you arent doing anything but using up that supply of vaccuum. It's no different than pushing the brakes while the car is running. Whoever gave you that bit of info is completely off-base and incorrect.

Last edited by RTIS250; 04-21-08 at 01:08 AM. Reason: its late, i cant type.
Old 04-21-08, 01:03 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stepping on the brake with the engine off is bad for a car... wow... never heard that before... sorry that person who told you this is misinformed. Next time you see this person tell them that putting stickers on your car adds horsepower.
Old 04-21-08, 01:06 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
How could it possibly damage the system to press the brake pedal before starting the car? It cant... The vaccuum booster holds enough vaccuum to apply the brakes 2-3 times after the engine is turns off or dies, so if you pretty the brake with the car off, you arent doing anything but using up that supply of vaccuum. It's no different than pushing the brakes while the car is running. Whoever gave you that bit of info is completely off-base and incorrect.
Listen to the master technician
Old 04-21-08, 01:20 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It can't be bad! I press it all the time when i pretend to race in my garage.
Old 04-21-08, 08:23 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP is not really wrong. It was considered taboo to depress the brake while the car is not running in the past. Doing so would potentially place air within the brake lines. For vehicles equipped with the smart-key technology, engineers have factored this in and you will not harm anything by doing so in your ISX50.
Old 04-21-08, 09:12 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How else would you start your IS??? But yeah, back in the day before all of this fancy technology (old school key style) I heard stuff about how it's not good to depress the brake when the car is not running.
Old 04-21-08, 09:13 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by Brian231
The OP is not really wrong. It was considered taboo to depress the brake while the car is not running in the past. Doing so would potentially place air within the brake lines. For vehicles equipped with the smart-key technology, engineers have factored this in and you will not harm anything by doing so in your ISX50.
How could it be physically possible to introduce air into the lines simply because the car is not running? It's still a sealed system.
Old 04-21-08, 10:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's like using the brakes on a bicycle. It doesn't matter if you're moving or not...
Old 04-21-08, 01:18 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

How could it be physically possible to introduce air into the lines simply because the car is not running? It's still a sealed system.
This is what I was always told in the past. Todays fancier brake systems aleviate the tendency for this to occur. I am quite sure the engineers had factored everything in when they designed the smart-key technology. A lot of the old GM master cylinders use to leak and maybe it was speculated that depressing the brake would have negaitve impacts. Could be folklore, could be real in some cases, I do remember this many many moons ago. I am surpirsed you never heard of this.
Old 04-21-08, 01:39 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by Brian231
This is what I was always told in the past. Todays fancier brake systems aleviate the tendency for this to occur. I am quite sure the engineers had factored everything in when they designed the smart-key technology. A lot of the old GM master cylinders use to leak and maybe it was speculated that depressing the brake would have negaitve impacts. Could be folklore, could be real in some cases, I do remember this many many moons ago. I am surpirsed you never heard of this.
Nope, ive never heard of this "myth"... Ive owned a ton of cars, ranging in age from 1967 up to 2008... In all my years in trade/tech school ive never heard that either. Brake systems are sealed against air. From the master cylinder to the pistons/wheel cylinders. All you are really doing by turning off the car is eliminating the vaccuum assist.. so the pedal is really hard to press. Otherwise, its no different if the car is running or now. My 67 Chevelle didnt have power brakes.. so the system was exactly the same running or not. Im not sure where this myth originated.. but its most certainly not true.
Old 04-21-08, 02:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how the heck would you start any automatic tranny car, regardless of smart key or key or whatever
Old 04-21-08, 02:36 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, ive never heard of this "myth"... Ive owned a ton of cars, ranging in age from 1967 up to 2008... In all my years in trade/tech school ive never heard that either. Brake systems are sealed against air. From the master cylinder to the pistons/wheel cylinders. All you are really doing by turning off the car is eliminating the vaccuum assist.. so the pedal is really hard to press. Otherwise, its no different if the car is running or now. My 67 Chevelle didnt have power brakes.. so the system was exactly the same running or not. Im not sure where this myth originated.. but its most certainly not true.
add my 65 geni mustang and my 69 camero convert to that list too...

I heard that a ebay sticker only gives 3hp while a JDM sticker gives 5hp, does the hp stack if you run 2 of the same type of sticker thou? or do they have to be different?
Old 04-21-08, 03:14 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how the heck would you start any automatic tranny car, regardless of smart key or key or whatever
regular automatics don't require that you push on the brake to start the car...it's only to shift out of park.
Old 04-21-08, 03:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

I've never heard this either. But I've only been doing car and motorcycle stuff for the last 38 years or so. I might have missed something.

Quick Reply: Depressing brake before engine is on...