IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OMFG WTF Lexus (my air freshener melted and ruined my vent area)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 05:39 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he got a point there...Lexus paint shouldn't be that prone to melting...this is only IMO...his air freshener did not have any damage or so..i believe the GLASS of the air freshener was too hot that it melted the plastic....not that the air fresherner melt and leave paint stains that looks like *ehem* on the plastic....

oh and about the grandpa thing....na ah....
Old 04-21-08, 06:13 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grandkid's nose is a little too high in the air right now, don'tcha think?

This is by far completely your liability, not Lexus' in any way shape or form.v You put the air freshner there. Lexus doesn't design their cars around a Glade Air Freshner.

Trust me when I say you think they were rude you; they most likely weren't at all. You called in with the most obscure request for something Lexus has nothing to do with. They already know the answer but want to please you with asking for the hell of it.

If your granps is such a HIGH ROLLER, why don't you have him just trade in the car and buy you a new one for that minor issue on the dash.

I would be happy as hell that my grandpa gave me a NEW LEXUS. At your age I was driving an old *** Volvo. May I ask your age?
Old 04-21-08, 08:13 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Center grille 06-07 $135.31
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...17&catalogid=2

Center bezel 06-07 $49.28
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...15&catalogid=2

Last edited by suicidesam; 04-21-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 08:24 PM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I don't know why you think Lexus should cover this damage when it clearly isn't their fault in any way, shape or form. Lexus owners, at least on this IS forum, seem to think that once they buy the car Lexus Corp should imdemnify everything that happens to the car. You goofed up and damaged the finish, that is your fault and your responsibility to fix it. And why bring your grandfather into the picture? Did you ask him first? I wouldn't want my grandkid trying to weasel something like this without being told. He is the businessman footing the bill, not you.
well i'm glad you think that they should iNdemnify anything that happens to the car once its bought. then why would anybody care what warranties they get when they buy a car, right? i don't think so. while it may not be warranty work, i believe it is something that should be covered by Lexus. the air freshener didn't crack or shatter so how could it be responsible if nothing is leaking onto it to cause damage? osmosis i guess . you can't see in the picture but if you look from above the place where the two parts of the trim meet is also warped. and the reason i brought my grandfather into this is because like i said earlier he is the one financing and paying the car. i think he deserves to know what is going on with the car that he is paying for. And if not being treated well by Lexus you god damn better believe I'm going to get anybody I need involved, I'm not going to get stomped all over just because I'm younger and in college.

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
Grandkid's nose is a little too high in the air right now, don'tcha think?

This is by far completely your liability, not Lexus' in any way shape or form.v You put the air freshner there. Lexus doesn't design their cars around a Glade Air Freshner.

Trust me when I say you think they were rude you; they most likely weren't at all. You called in with the most obscure request for something Lexus has nothing to do with. They already know the answer but want to please you with asking for the hell of it.

If your granps is such a HIGH ROLLER, why don't you have him just trade in the car and buy you a new one for that minor issue on the dash.

I would be happy as hell that my grandpa gave me a NEW LEXUS. At your age I was driving an old *** Volvo. May I ask your age?
s6, i agree with what you say about the designs of Lexus' cars not being based around the ever so mighty air freshener, i am glad they did that too.
i turn 21 in a few months and i'm sorry to hear about your old *** volvo i have to congratulate you on being successful since you clearly made the right decisions somewhere in life that helped you move up to two nice Lexus cars and an s6. I never said anywhere that my grandfather is a "HIGH ROLLER", and i am definitely not one to flash money around and not as arrogant as you happen to think i am. and lets say you were a "HIGH ROLLER", i am sure that you wouldn't just cough up money left and right since you would be such a "HIGH ROLLER". of course you wouldn't because you could be spending that money on your other "HIGH ROLLER" affairs and costs. Oh and if you're just going to criticize the situation with your irrelevant analogies then GTFO of this thread and keep your opinion to yourself, I'm trying to make the most out of a ****ty situation. it's not like "I think I should take my IS250 back in because the gas tank is empty. . Maybe it's their fault that gas doesn't last." but for the parts to melt and get ruined like that is not acceptable. oh and about the grandkid sticking his nose a little too high thing,

Last edited by iameric; 04-21-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 08:26 PM
jason_v2
Driver School Candidate

same thing happened to me. i was so freakin angry when i came back to the car and saw what happened. the spot on mine is not too terrible but definitely noticeable.

i'm thinking about just painting it over but don't know where i can get the paint color matched. anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-21-08, 08:28 PM
5h4n3
Rookie

Hmm.. I have one of those air freshener thingy that clips on to the air vents. A Lexus rep did warn me that if it leaks the paint on the dashboard will melt/react/smear as he has seen one such case. I guess I'll take those air fresheners out.

Oh yea.. I have to also agree that it's not Lexus' fault for what happened.
Old 04-21-08, 08:58 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iameric
I may, but the service rep and Lexus rep were pretty rude.

if not I will speak with the manufacturer of the air freshener, but the air freshener didn't leak, it was still fine so it's not their fault.

I'm pretty sure it was the light being intensified through the liquid, that paint should have lasted. It was not only the paint directly under the freshener but all the way around it, that's why there's that bad paint mark going up and to the right
ok if the people on CL are being rude, how did you think the service gys would react

u might be able to get sue the airfreshner guys cause they dont have a warning label, but lets be honest thats really expensive and ull lose. Sides u dont want to be on the same level as that woman who sued macdonalds cause it didnt say hot on the coffee!!

Now THAT is funny!! Ceative too, but there is no way that sunlight being intensified through the bottle will melt ur paint like that. The oil clearly seeped through and melted away at ur paint. Take this as an expensive lesson in car airfreshners.
AND WE ALL FEEL YOUR PAIN, THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ALL OF US AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER> ITS A BIOTCH. ( and another reason why ur first car shouldnt be a nice one)
Hope u get it sorted out. Think of it as an excuse to start modifiying ur cars interior trim. See? always a bight side!!!
Old 04-21-08, 09:01 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh and if you're just going to criticize the situation with your irrelevant analogies then GTFO of this thread and keep your opinion to yourself, I'm trying to make the most out of a ****ty situation. it's not like "I think I should take my IS250 back in because the gas tank is empty. . Maybe it's their fault that gas doesn't last." but for the parts to melt and get ruined like that is not acceptable. oh and about the grandkid sticking his nose a little too high thing,
OP, in your original post you asked, "Has anybody ever heard of this!? I don't know if you can simply just replace the cover either because it seems that the silver part is all built into the AC unit. Any ideas? and do you think Lexus would cover this or am I going to have to purchase it myself?" Now that you have received some criticism, along with some suggestions, you are telling us to FO and not give you any opinion. You can't have it both ways, so next time DON'T ASK for ideas. Seems that unless we all agree with you you can't take any criticism.
Old 04-21-08, 10:10 PM
Mike5
Driver School Candidate

...after that comment I told them straight up that my grandfather who is the one financing and paying for my car along with 12 other Lexus as of right this very moment has spent over $600,000 in the past 5 years (including the new Lexus LS 600 h L) and that if they weren't going to fix it that they could call him directly and tell him they wouldn't be replacing everything. So we'll see how this goes, my family (and family's company) is a very valued customer of Lexus (unfortunately not at this dealer) so they should replace it...
...and i am definitely not one to flash money around and not as arrogant as you happen to think i am.
self owned

BF.c OT FTMFW!!! :buttrock
Old 04-22-08, 02:23 AM
hihi410
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike5
self owned

BF.c OT FTMFW!!! :buttrock
haha well said.

Honestly, I can't find a reason to support the OP.

I would probably be pointing fingers at the air freshner company's product instead of asking Lexus take responsibility.

The damage was caused by the air freshner, it wasn't caused by the heat coming out from the air vent, I just don't see how there is a correlation to Lexus being at fault.

In the future, I would suggest using either tree freshner, JDM CSX, or just simple car spray.

Good luck with you either way.
Old 04-22-08, 02:37 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um...warranties don't cover your stupidity.

They won't cover stuff like wear and tear items, and user neglect.

This, happens to be a case of user neglect. YOU FAIL. /thread.

Oh, and quit being so prissy about this. You fuxed up, fix it yourself, and move on. Quit crying over spilled milk, or air fresheners, or whatever you choose to cry over.
You saw the cost of parts, $200, that's not much for your grandfather to spend compared to his $600k now is it?
Old 04-22-08, 04:17 AM
Wests
Lead Lap

So, boiled oil from a faulty air freshener spills onto your trim, damages it and you blame Lexus? That is extremely irrational logic. How can you even begin to think that this is a warranty issue?
Old 04-22-08, 04:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

This thread is no longer productive.

Members (including the thread starter), I remind you about our goal to maintain a sense of community on Club Lexus and in the 2IS forums.