IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For those who've replaced their rubber (tires)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 07:33 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES3
Great info. Were they that much cheaper than the Michelins? Any alignment problem at all? I recall originally I had to swap from the factory Dunlops to Bridgestones to overcome the pull to the right.
The F1's are great! I got them thru Tire Rack (who's a vendor on here, btw). All 4 tires (18's) for $650. If I had gone for the PS2's, I would prob have been looking at $1000+.

Shortly after I got the tires on, I also put on aftermarket rims + a drop with Eibach's so I got an alignment right away. No alignment issues whatsoever except for a bit of negative camber on the front but they say that's normal whenever you lower your car.
Old 04-21-08, 07:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Michelin PS2's !!!! This was an easy one I have them on my car with aftermarket rims. the car is on rails even if you don't lower your car!!

What more can you say! They are a great tire...you pay for what you get. If mileage is not an issue and you are looking for a "summer/performance" tire then look not further. IMO another option if mileage is more important then the performance the Michelin pilot sport a/s is a great alternative tire.
Old 04-21-08, 07:52 PM
chums
Lead Lap

i was running dunlop sp sport 5000 (stock here for 17s) and after getting the GY eagle F1 A/S installed, i can say im very satisfied with my purchase. MUCH better than my dunlops. the noise sounds about the same to me, but the traction is 10x better. thing that sucks is since im awd and running staggered, im gonna go through two sets of rears before i have to replace my fronts oh well!

if youre getting a summer tire and got some cash, get some PS2's, but all-season and affordable, id throw down for some goodyear eagle F1 all-seasons.
Old 04-21-08, 09:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,066 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Almost EVERY tire thread in the 2IS subforum gets "concluded" that you should go with the PS2's if in your budget.

Consensus defined (reference: merriam-webster.com):
1a) general agreement
1b) the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned

So, I think it's safe to say that the consensus of the forum members is that the PS2's are the preferred tire for the 2IS, if you can afford them.

Also, I think it's safe to say that the consensus of the forum members is that the factory Bridgestone's are absolutely terrible tires.

BTW, I think this can be considered on-topic, but I'll stop being a smart-butt now......english makes my head hurt.

No, it doesn't. The PS2s are NOT measurably better than about 5 different tires except on a closed course with very precise timing. They are not rated better than the Bridgestone RE050A PP which I have on my car by people who OWN the tires. A few people here like the PS2s and are happy paying over a grand for them. I've driven MXX3s, PS2s, RE050A PP, S-02s, S-02 PP, S-03s, FK451., FK452, T1S, T1R, and a host of others over the last 15 years of owning a Supra. The Michelins are NOT magic. They're slightly better in the dry as measured and tested by the Tire Rack (and I agree) but they're not measurably better than the Bridgestone RE050A PPs I am currently running in street service. I'd dare say the Bridgestones are LESS likely to hydroplane and handle better in the wet than PS2s.

Tire snobs will say the Michelins are lighter. Tire snobs will say the Michelins are quieter. Tire snobs will say you should spend a grand on tires.

I say spend what makes you comfortable. You might like Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Avon, Toyo, or Continental. You might even like Kumhos or Falkens. But saying any one of these is inherently better is just being a snob. Without knowing what you value in a tire, it's impossible to say which one is 'best'. So which is it? Less filling or great taste?
Old 04-21-08, 10:28 PM
vr4henry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the GY Eagle F1-AS's I put on.
10k on them so far, and the tread looks brand new.

Last edited by vr4henry; 04-21-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 10:36 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

I've never really understood all the hype that went into the PS2's. Granted, they were rated really high in terms of performance but so are other tires and they cost considerably less.

I guess to each his own. If you can afford to spend $1000+ on tires alone, kudos to you.
Old 04-21-08, 10:46 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please re-read my first post regarding this topic:

Originally Posted by mikes rx
The general consensus is that, if you can afford them, the Pilot Sport PS2's are the best summer tire available.

A lot of people are going with the Goodyear's as a cheaper (yet probably just as good) alternative.
Hindsight 20/20, the word "best" was improperly used.

But, stop referring to things said about the PS2's that haven't been said.

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-21-08 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 05:58 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been that impressed with bridgestone treadlife and performance as wear increases. Just my opinion.

FWIW, tirerack lists the RE050APP@25/29lbs, and the PS2@21/25lbs in stock sizes.....

YMMV (literally)

Edit: before Lance corrects me, my bad luck with bridgestones could be due to any host of things (camber, driving style, roads, etc) not related to the tire itself, as I've never had the high performance variants on my IS for direct comparison.

Last edited by FiveOhNine; 04-22-08 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-22-08, 06:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I went with Sumitomo HTR IIIs or whatever, they appeared to rival pole positions in a tire rack test and they are significantly less expensive. I ordered a set for $659 shipped with road hazard.
Old 04-22-08, 06:39 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, it doesn't. The PS2s are NOT measurably better than about 5 different tires except on a closed course with very precise timing. They are not rated better than the Bridgestone RE050A PP which I have on my car by people who OWN the tires. A few people here like the PS2s and are happy paying over a grand for them. I've driven MXX3s, PS2s, RE050A PP, S-02s, S-02 PP, S-03s, FK451., FK452, T1S, T1R, and a host of others over the last 15 years of owning a Supra. The Michelins are NOT magic. They're slightly better in the dry as measured and tested by the Tire Rack (and I agree) but they're not measurably better than the Bridgestone RE050A PPs I am currently running in street service. I'd dare say the Bridgestones are LESS likely to hydroplane and handle better in the wet than PS2s.

Tire snobs will say the Michelins are lighter. Tire snobs will say the Michelins are quieter. Tire snobs will say you should spend a grand on tires.

I say spend what makes you comfortable. You might like Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Avon, Toyo, or Continental. You might even like Kumhos or Falkens. But saying any one of these is inherently better is just being a snob. Without knowing what you value in a tire, it's impossible to say which one is 'best'. So which is it? Less filling or great taste?

There are many great tires out there. In fact the RE050a was a louder tire then the PS2's! I had both on my car to see, hear, and feel. So from real world experience this is the case for me. The RE050a is not a bad tire at all by any means. I shopped for some time and listened to the tire experts, not what people post on tire rack or discount tire as these are the people that expect 45k + miles out of a performance tire. I am happy with them, but they are expensive. I have 6 mos out of the year to have a summer tire and I wanted the best tire "Not most expensive". Both Tire Rack and Discount Tire said the PS2's are the tire. I purchased from Discount and I will tell you they tried to talk me out of the tire because of the tread life. There are plenty of great tires out on the market for every need. I think I was one of a few on here that didn't complain about my RE050a and the tread life on them. I didn't purchase my tires based on cost and would have purchased the same tire if they where less money if they guided me towards them.

Those Bridgestone tires are not much less then the PS2's either. I priced them out actually from a post of yours I had read a while back.

IMO the OP needs to decide what they want and what is most important. Price, Performance, Tread Life....
Old 04-22-08, 06:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,066 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I went with Sumitomo HTR IIIs or whatever, they appeared to rival pole positions in a tire rack test and they are significantly less expensive. I ordered a set for $659 shipped with road hazard.
Nice choice. Those tires have been a big surprise to a lot of people and they are very affordable.

I'm not going to correct anyone's opinion. If you've had a bad experience with something, I'd call that reason enough not to buy it. I've always loved raw oysters. After the last two times I've had them at very reputable places, I've arrived at the conclusion I can never eat them again. It doesn't mean I'd say anything bad about raw oysters, they're just on my personal death list.

Same with tires. Run what works for you. I've seen people here say they're happy with the Turanzas. Rock on! I wouldn't run them because my preferences are different, but apparently Lexus made some of the 2IS owners happy with these tires.
Old 04-22-08, 06:43 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Nice choice. Those tires have been a big surprise to a lot of people and they are very affordable.

I'm not going to correct anyone's opinion. If you've had a bad experience with something, I'd call that reason enough not to buy it. I've always loved raw oysters. After the last two times I've had them at very reputable places, I've arrived at the conclusion I can never eat them again. It doesn't mean I'd say anything bad about raw oysters, they're just on my personal death list.

Same with tires. Run what works for you. I've seen people here say they're happy with the Turanzas. Rock on! I wouldn't run them because my preferences are different, but apparently Lexus made some of the 2IS owners happy with these tires.
Well said