IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone know how to retrofit mirrors to come down when reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 05:34 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to retrofit mirrors to come down when reverse?

Hi, I didn't know is350 didn't come standard that the mirrors come down when you put your car on reverse. If I knew, I would have bought that package.

But anyways, anyone know how to make the mirror come down? Maybe retro fitting it? Everytime I parallel park, I have to wait couple seconds to put the mirror down so I make sure that I scrape.
Old 04-22-08, 05:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Put the switch to either the left or the right mirror - take it off the center position - the mirrors will aim down automatically.
Old 04-22-08, 05:37 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything is possible, but I think this would be a lot of work and expense. You'd have to get the right mirrors, and then wire it all in so when it goes into reverse the mirrors tilt down. I have the tilt down feature and rarely use it. Unless you are parallel parking it isn't worth much, imo.
Old 04-22-08, 05:40 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I parallel everyday. San Francisco sucks ]=

lobux: I tried everything. My car doesn't have it. I think it is a package to have that isnt it? Part of luxury package maybe? but for sure if you have sports it has it.
Old 04-22-08, 06:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You may be right. There is a different part number for the mirror switch in the lux package. If you know someone with the lux package, you could swap the switch assemblies (very easy to do) and test if it fixes your problem. I bet it would. MSRP on the switch assembly is $136.10. It's a tad pricey to gamble on it working, but from what I've learned about the Body Electrical Network, it's very possible replacing this switch would add the functionality.

The power windows and the mirrors all connect to a network connection that tells the Body Electrical ECU what to do. Changing the switch will tell it to do something different - and very likely give you the down feature you want.

If I still lived in Cali, I'd test it with you, but I'm in Georgia now.
Old 04-22-08, 06:10 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You may be right. There is a different part number for the mirror switch in the lux package. If you know someone with the lux package, you could swap the switch assemblies (very easy to do) and test if it fixes your problem. I bet it would. MSRP on the switch assembly is $136.10. It's a tad pricey to gamble on it working, but from what I've learned about the Body Electrical Network, it's very possible replacing this switch would add the functionality.

The power windows and the mirrors all connect to a network connection that tells the Body Electrical ECU what to do. Changing the switch will tell it to do something different - and very likely give you the down feature you want.

wow i didnt know the ecu has that much power over our electronics. A simple switch box can add functionality?

That would be pretty awesome, Someone test this and report back.
Old 04-22-08, 06:10 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

That'd be pretty neat if all that's needed was the switch, especially at only $135 MSRP. Someone should definitely test this out with their buddy.

Although, I have a feeling that it would require something a little more. the same way that the 06's don't have plug-n-play door sills (even though the plug is there), I wouldn't be surprised if the function is "disabled" somewhere else (ie-the wire is a dead-end somewhere)

Let's hope that it does work. I think for $130, it would be worth it, as it may help those out that don't have a back-up camera (I've never been in an IS with the camera, but if it has a fish-eye lens I think you would see the curb a little)

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-22-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 06:17 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

There might be more to this than just swapping out the mirror switch... im thinking the Body ECU is probably different as well.
Old 04-22-08, 06:18 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
There might be more to this than just swapping out the mirror switch... im thinking the Body ECU is probably different as well.
True, but at the same time I'm thinking it may actually be possible, because of the KISS method.

With all the people on CL that work at a dealership, I would think that someone could easily get their hands on the switch and do a quick swap on their car or a new car.

(hint-hint)

edit: although, it looks like the tilt-down mirrors also have auto-dimming, which would mean that they are different mirrors all together. Therefore, might not be as easy as a switch.

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-22-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 06:20 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

If someone is pro, they should definitely give this a try. I would really want that feature.
Old 04-22-08, 06:20 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Ill see what i can do...
Old 04-22-08, 06:21 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Thank you.

Which lexus do you work at?
Old 04-22-08, 06:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Eh. Sorry to get your hopes up like this. If you don't have the memory seat option, your mirror control is direct by wire. If you have the memory seat option, you have an ECU that talks to another ECU in each of the mirrors. So the determinant here is whether you have the memory seat function or not.

As a side note, all the circuitry for folding side mirrors is in the wiring diagrams on TIS. I've never looked at this before, but the documentation calls out everything for folding mirrors including a button on the mirror switch that would cause the mirrors to fold in. It would be interesting to find out if all the wires are actually there and all you'd need is the switch gear and the Euro/JDM spec mirrors to get the folding function to work.

Sorry about suggesting the switch being the simple fix. It isn't from what I can see on the wiring diagrams.
Old 04-22-08, 06:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by RTIS250
It's not used on the base models. It's hardwired.
Old 04-22-08, 06:51 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Thank you.

Which lexus do you work at?
Magnussen's.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to retrofit mirrors to come down when reverse?