IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Would you do a hybrid IS?
I would rather keep my IS250/350.
38.84%
I would change my IS250 to an "IS250h."
22.31%
I would change my IS350 to an "IS350h."
29.75%
I would rather get a different hybrid altogether...
9.09%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Hybrid IS possibilities...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 04:12 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You're making a basic assumption that the cost of producing the hybrid compared to the cost of producing the conventional remains the same. It can't. The energy required to produce the semiconductors that control the power in the hybrid and the price of the battery in the hybrid will increase along with the price increases in raw materials due to higher fuel costs being passed on for mining, smelting, and using oil for polymer feedstocks. Yes, the price of producing the conventional vehicle will go up, but not nearly as fast as the hybrid's cost because of the electronic control systems and the batteries.

In all likelihood, gasoline price changes don't affect the time to ROI unless the margins on the hybrid are smaller and the manufacturers shrink their margins to absorb the increased cost of production with higher crude oil prices.
So what does this all mean in English? lol (Thanks for that elaborate synopsis lobux )
Old 04-25-08, 04:48 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
So what does this all mean in English? lol (Thanks for that elaborate synopsis lobux )
It sounded like an Economic lecture I sat through in college.
Old 04-25-08, 04:55 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

OK as an ex-Prius owner I can say that Hybrid is bullt****.

The only reason the Prius is able to get such high MPG (45 average when I drove it) is because it's a piece of ****. Even without the battery I bet you can still get 40MPG out of it. So really, the battery that collects dissipated energy (from brakes and what not) is negligible. Maybe it's good for running the radio or something.

If you're really environmentally-awared, then get an electric car. Really, hybrids don't save you that much on gas and in the long run they're worst for the environment than non-hybrids what with the battery and crap. Not to mention they cost a lot more and weight a lot more.

What we really need is a true plug-in hybrid. Not one of those BS hybrids that collect energy from your brakes and stuff.
Old 04-25-08, 09:37 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't think so.

I have an IS350, and I get about 22.5 mpg combined. And that's great considering that I drive in a lot of L.A. traffic!

My driving style: I like to coast a lot. I don't accelerate too aggressively, and I don't use the brake unless if I really have to.

Also, I always use premium gas. And I rarely use the "Sport" mode.

I don't know if my air intake or exhaust helps at all, but it may aid mpg in general...
Well, I'll be the first to admit that I don't coast very often, and I do drive in sport mode probably 50% of the time. I do have to say, that I did a non-rush hour freeway stint for about one hour (a few months ago), and I did hit 27mpg. That was the best number I've ever seen out of my car! Not bad mpg for a 306hp car. City driving is another matter entirely
Old 04-25-08, 10:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're making a basic assumption that the cost of producing the hybrid compared to the cost of producing the conventional remains the same. It can't.
But does it matter to the consumer? Absolutely not!

If Toyota sells the Prius making no profit (or actually going into debt), it wouldn't matter to the consumer. The consumer just wants to buy what they believe is of "good value."

And in actuality, the Prius cost almost a billion dollars going through research and development prior to its second-generation release in 2004. Toyota actually is not making much money with hybrids, but is gaining a lot of publicity and market control because of it.
Old 04-25-08, 11:53 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Don't think I can do much better with the 2IS chassis. I'd only trade if it were something optimized for efficiency (I'd feel less bad about my impending sports car purchase). At least then it would be interesting. The mpg would have to be past 40 on both cycles.
Old 04-26-08, 12:31 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sammy5001
What we really need is a true plug-in hybrid. Not one of those BS hybrids that collect energy from your brakes and stuff.
Where do you think that magic electricity out of your wall comes from?

I wouldn't go for a hybrid IS. Since the batteries are not that scalable, i.e. I assume the same battery goes into a GS as an IS, the proportional weight gain on the IS is horrible. It'd take off a few potential MPG just to handle the extra weight if you wanted to keep performance similar.

Several people choose the IS over the GS because it's more sporty, and/or is cheaper, in spite of the trunk space. A hybrid version of the IS would kill all those attributes.
Old 04-26-08, 08:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not into hybrids at all.
A GS 400h has a window sticker posting of 22 city and 25 highway.BFD!
Old 04-26-08, 10:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Here's what I really think about the whole electric bandwagon. It's a LONG way from primetime, and it's an even longer way from green.
Old 04-27-08, 05:28 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Where do you think that magic electricity out of your wall comes from?.
So what's your point here? You do realize that are wind turbines, water fall generators, etc. that produce *clean* electricity right?
Old 04-27-08, 06:18 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

i would rather go deasel and make my own fule with french fry oil
Old 04-27-08, 08:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

So what's your point here? You do realize that are wind turbines, water fall generators, etc. that produce *clean* electricity right?
Click here. What do you think the odds are that the power you are using was generated by coal? How about almost 50% (48.98%)? A whopping 2.4% was generated across all sectors by "renewable" sources, and an equally stunning 9.5% came from all renewables AND hydroelectric combined.

Don't forget, the average coal fired plant annually produces:

- 170 pounds of mercury

- 225 pounds of arsenic

- 114 pounds of lead, 4 pounds of cadmium, other toxic heavy metals, and trace amounts of uranium.

How is this cleaner than hydrocarbon emissions from burning gasoline? I'm not seeing the advantage here.
Old 04-27-08, 10:50 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK as an ex-Prius owner I can say that Hybrid is bullt****.

The only reason the Prius is able to get such high MPG (45 average when I drove it) is because it's a piece of ****. Even without the battery I bet you can still get 40MPG out of it. So really, the battery that collects dissipated energy (from brakes and what not) is negligible. Maybe it's good for running the radio or something.

If you're really environmentally-awared, then get an electric car. Really, hybrids don't save you that much on gas and in the long run they're worst for the environment than non-hybrids what with the battery and crap. Not to mention they cost a lot more and weight a lot more.

True! I frequently drive an RX350H and the Toyota hybrid is proven. And a Prius is built for the city. I do roughly 80% city driving and could really use one, as a second ride. Prius is a smart buy right now. new or used.

But YES overall, forget about the Hybrids now the especially the for the IS...This is "stopgap" battery technology and Prius has it's market. It works for Prius right now because numbers do not lie and awesome city mpg right now with soaring $4 gas...Plug-in technology will sure be the way and within just a few years now on the road in Prius like numbers. WAIT IT OUT!

But yeah there are a shiet load of Prius's on the the road in the the heavy city traffic of Atlanta right now.
Old 04-27-08, 10:57 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"stop gap" meaning that because the overall idea is like getting off of the fuel

Hybrid tech is like cutting back to Ultra light cigarettes...there is no doubt in cases like the the Prius there can be short term gains. But where does it stop...

for me IS is a daily driver until Plug is true. then IS still my guzzler
Old 04-28-08, 07:50 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

How is this cleaner than hydrocarbon emissions from burning gasoline? I'm not seeing the advantage here.
With the cost of oil currently selling for over $115 a barrel, and Iran's President Ahmadinejad saying that price is too low, I'd think the advantage of harnessing domestic sources of energy would be obvious. Coal fired power plants are predominant because coal is abundant and cheap. Just as clean-air regulations have spurred the auto industry to develop technologies to clean up tailpipe emissions, similar regulations imposed on the power industry would likely result in the development of technology to utilize coal more cleanly. Depending on the costs of doing so, it might even shift new plant construction towards cleaner and more renewable energy sources.

Quick Reply: Hybrid IS possibilities...