IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No audio in car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 09:25 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No audio in car...

I have a 06 is350 with the nav hack and the vaistech sli unit for my ipod. Lately my audio system has been going completely silent. This means no buttons beep, the bluetooth doesn't make any sounds, the radio is dead. I have had it happen whil i'm driving, and on start up. Typically when i restart the car, the problem goes away, but lately it takes 3-4 tries before audio comes back.

Anyone know what the problem might be?
I'm going to take the nav unit out and check the nav hack wires to see if everything is ok... but besides that, is there anything else i can check?

Audio system has been perfect until the past few days
Old 04-25-08, 09:27 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it's a heat problem. An electronic devices worst enemy is heat..see if you packed those wires back in properly.(the ones in back of the head unit) and that they're not chaffing against something and grounding out. Check all your zip ties, electric tapes, solder pieces, whatever you did for your install, even the connector itself.
Old 04-25-08, 10:35 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I know exactly what this problem is. I just had mines fixed. Is it when you drive the whole thing goes silent? And you can use your options but no sounds right? If so, then you amp is going out. Cause that was my problem and they replaced mines and now its perfect again! Hope that helps
Old 04-25-08, 10:43 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jewel
I have a 06 is350 with the nav hack and the vaistech sli unit for my ipod. Lately my audio system has been going completely silent. This means no buttons beep, the bluetooth doesn't make any sounds, the radio is dead. I have had it happen whil i'm driving, and on start up. Typically when i restart the car, the problem goes away, but lately it takes 3-4 tries before audio comes back.

Anyone know what the problem might be?
I'm going to take the nav unit out and check the nav hack wires to see if everything is ok... but besides that, is there anything else i can check?

Audio system has been perfect until the past few days
Question, does this only happen when you're listening to a CD-R with a homemade label on it? This happens to me quite often but it only happens when I'm listening to a CD-R with a homemade label.

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I know exactly what this problem is. I just had mines fixed. Is it when you drive the whole thing goes silent? And you can use your options but no sounds right? If so, then you amp is going out. Cause that was my problem and they replaced mines and now its perfect again! Hope that helps
Ichi, do you have ML? I've been contemplating taking my car in but I 1st have to undo my NAV hack.
Old 04-25-08, 10:57 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Question, does this only happen when you're listening to a CD-R with a homemade label on it? This happens to me quite often but it only happens when I'm listening to a CD-R with a homemade label.

Ichi, do you have ML? I've been contemplating taking my car in but I 1st have to undo my NAV hack.
OMG em! You did the NAV hack???!?!? Why oh why?? Even if you undo it wont they see it anyways?
Old 04-25-08, 11:02 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happens to me when I listen to certain songs I have on CD-Rs. It happens every time. If I just skip the song nothing happens... if I let it play I get the silent treatment until I restart the car. It seems like it's a certain note in the song or something like that that makes it happen. The weirdest thing ever. Any ideas?
Old 04-25-08, 11:15 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
OMG em! You did the NAV hack???!?!? Why oh why?? Even if you undo it wont they see it anyways?
Cuzzzzzzzz I wanted to watch DVD's while I drive. Btw, u didn't answer my question Dodo head!

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Same thing happens to me when I listen to certain songs I have on CD-Rs. It happens every time. If I just skip the song nothing happens... if I let it play I get the silent treatment until I restart the car. It seems like it's a certain note in the song or something like that that makes it happen. The weirdest thing ever. Any ideas?
If you have ML and listen to CD-R's with a label on it, the ML system shuts itself down to prevent burn out. CD-R's with a label on it gets very hot after you listen to them for a prolonged period of time. If you don't believe me, eject the disc sometimes and you'll feel that it's really hot.

If you don't have ML, I'm not sure what the problem is but I remember there're several threads about this ML issue in the past about it shutting down to prevent burn out.
Old 04-25-08, 11:58 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Yes I do have ML but it only happens when I play this one specific song. Like I mentioned before, I can skip this song and everything plays.... as soon as I go back to that song I get silent treatment.
Old 04-26-08, 01:02 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Where is the amp located?
Is this a well known problem?
Can i get it fixed without them going after my nav unit? or should i try to cover up the hack before i bring it in?

I don't use CD's at all...
just my ipod
Old 04-26-08, 01:09 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

i think i just figured it out

about 2 weeks ago i took my car in for an oil change and to get a rattle in the rear speaker area fixed. They opened up the rear speaker area, found some loose things, fixed the rattle. This is approximately when the audio problems started as well. Is the sub/amp back there?
Old 04-26-08, 01:23 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

The sub in in the rear deck. The amp is in the trunk on the lower right side underneath the carpet.