Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 02:21 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rividsoul
My dealership told me the engine came already broken in... I was still conservative but i did do a few WOT in my first 1000 km.
Would you believe I was told the same thing? I asked about engine break-in, and he said "don't worry about it, there are no break-in periods with these cars."

I couldn't believe it...and have been pretty conservative for the first 650 miles.
Old 03-24-08, 02:29 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont feel like reading the many posts that have been made in this thread so hopefully this is not a restatement of something that was said previously...

there are many schools of thought on this issue and dealers/manufacturers will usually tell you that there is some amount of break-in mileage. however, and i'm not saying i agree with this, there is the very popular school of thought saying drive the car from day one how ever it is you plan to drive. no need to break in just get right down to your usual habits behind the wheel. like i said, i dont necessarily agree with that statement but there is no concrete research pointing in any direction regarding this issue.
Old 03-25-08, 06:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Unfortunately, it is a restatement. This horse is dead. Whipping it again is truly pointless.
Old 04-23-08, 08:23 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Break-in period

So any of you fellows baby the engine when it was still a virgin? I couldn't find any engine break-in period in the manual. I just got my 350 about two weeks ago and put in about 250 miles. I've been kind of taking it easy on the rpm for break-in but does it even matter for Lexus cars?
Old 04-23-08, 08:24 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

They say about 600miles to take it easy
Old 04-23-08, 08:37 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took it easy for the first 1,500 miles with braking, acceleration, etc. Below is a write-up on the topic:

Engine break-in is a fairly controversial subject — much like oil change intervals and tire pressure — and just like those, we recommend following the manufacturer’s recommendations. Break-in periods typically require following a stringent driving style for a certain number of miles. Some engines, though, may have no break-in at all. All the info you need is in your owner’s manual, or may be available on the automaker’s website in the form of a downloadable owner’s manual.

The widely accepted reason for break-in period is to allow engine internals (specifically, the piston rings) to break in and seal properly, which theoretically will prevent oil from being burned when the engine starts to rack up miles. Don’t be alarmed, however, if during the break-in period the engine burns a little oil; that’s perfectly normal until the piston rings seat completely.

Most automakers recommend driving at varying speeds and acceleration rates and say you shouldn’t tow anything until you’re past the break-in period. Here’s an example of a break-in recommendation on the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

“A long break-in period is not required for the engine in your vehicle.

“Drive moderately during the first 300 mi (500 km). After the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

“While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.”
Old 04-23-08, 08:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car manual states 1000km, or about 650 miles.
Old 04-23-08, 08:52 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Thanks. 600 to 1500 miles is way too long. I want to floor this thing but I'll be patient.
Old 04-23-08, 09:02 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I believe Lubo Racer broke his car in by the time he got home.

Some say with the new engines, there isn't much of a need to break the engine in. unless it specifically states so like the new Jaguar XKR which says not to do any kind form of racing for the first 4,950 miles or something like that.

Germans don't even know what breaking an engine is anymore since none of the german manufacturers put that in their manuals. They only put that in American manuals. (Volkswagen doesn't even replace power steering fluid)

I remember reading that all bmw's are driven around a track right after they're put together to test and make sure everything's working properly on the car and then ship'em out

Edit-

On a side note, I did take it easy on my car for the first 1,000 miles because I didn't want to run into a situation where I might have to drop the anchor and possibly hurt my brakes.

Your ecu also learns your driving style during the first 1,000 miles or something
Old 04-23-08, 09:08 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
I believe Lubo Racer broke his car in by the time he got home.

Some say with the new engines, there isn't much of a need to break the engine in. unless it specifically states so like the new Jaguar XKR which says not to do any kind form of racing for the first 4,950 miles or something like that.

Germans don't even know what breaking an engine is anymore since none of the german manufacturers put that in their manuals. They only put that in American manuals. (Volkswagen doesn't even replace power steering fluid)

I remember reading that all bmw's are driven around a track right after they're put together to test and make sure everything's working properly on the car and then ship'em out

Edit-

On a side note, I did take it easy on my car for the first 1,000 miles because I didn't want to run into a situation where I might have to drop the anchor and possibly hurt my brakes.

Your ecu also learns your driving style during the first 1,000 miles or something

Our cars are adaptive and can steal your soul in the middle of the night!!!
Old 04-23-08, 09:10 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

a bunch of good info in this link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264616

some people says take it easy, some people says just rev it......
Old 04-23-08, 09:23 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

how many miles was on the car at delivery? Keep in mind if it has 30-100 miles it probably has been jumped on a few times from test drivers.
Old 04-23-08, 09:35 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slee18
how many miles was on the car at delivery? Keep in mind if it has 30-100 miles it probably has been jumped on a few times from test drivers.
only 7 miles on it at the delivery.
Old 04-23-08, 09:52 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I would go with 650. Dont think it was jumped on!
Old 04-23-08, 10:47 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

That's not true with all germans. The following is specifically stated in the owners manual for E46 M3 and after the initial 1200 miles, oil gearbox and differential fluids are changed. E92 M3 has same/similar break-in procedure.

Engine and differential
Up to 1,250 miles/2,000 km: Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but
do not exceed the following engine or road speeds: 5,500 rpm or 105 mph / 170 km/h.

Originally Posted by nabbun

Edit-

Quick Reply: Break-in period